Case, heatsink, TIM and fans for i5-6600K build

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I'm building an i5-6600k with a GTX 960 2GB or 3GB 7970Ghz edition GPU. I'll probably make this my gaming PC so I'm leaning towards using the warmer 7970. I'm wanting to do a mild CPU OC or try to get what I can out of the CPU as long as it runs cool. What case, heatsink, TIM and fans do you recommend?

I'm currently looking at fractal design R4 for $70 with an extra R2 fan for the front of the case.

I have no idea what heatsink I should use. I'm not really happy with 212 evo on my 4670K. I want something better for the 6600K without breaking the bank. I do have some old AR5 but if I can get a couple of degrees lower I would try something else.

Any other suggestions will be welcome.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
The 7970 isn't really fast enough to benefit from an overclocked 6600K, though that's no reason not to overclock ;)

R4 for $70 is definitely a good buy, if you don't mind it being "last gen", what with the R5 having been out for a year.

Heatsink - Thermalright Macho Rev. B $53. Use the included Chill Factor 3 paste, it's better than AS5.

You already have a thread about this build. With more complete and relevant info than what you've posted here.

Last edited:

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
No problem with weight or size that I know of. Maybe in some really tight case you might have problems with heat sink clearance around the top and rear of the case, but not in R4.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
No problem with weight or size that I know of. Maybe in some really tight case you might have problems with heat sink clearance around the top and rear of the case, but not in R4.
Thank you. I ordered the heatsink :thumbsup:

I also ordered an R5 case and extra fan.

Last edited:

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
The heatsink arrived today. I was off on the Macho B's weight. The fan is 160g but the heatsink is 720g. That's a total of 880 grams or 31 ounces :eek:.

It does look like a good heatsink and was well packaged. It even came with a very nice looking full sized Philips head screwdriver.

hack_tc

May 5, 2012
I still have my screwdriver from the Macho I ordered years ago :D It's one of my favorites; still use it regularly. You have yourself a great cooler, but I will admit it is rather hard to work around due to its size.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I still have my screwdriver from the Macho I ordered years ago :D It's one of my favorites; still use it regularly. You have yourself a great cooler, but I will admit it is rather hard to work around due to its size.
Getting a free tool is always a good thing :).

It's good to hear you liked the cooler. I really hope the fan doesn't interfere with the RAM slots. It seems like all the MBs I looked at were picky about which two slots the RAM is installed.