Question Case for home NAS

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Looking at a new case to use for a in the closest storage unit. Right now looking at either the R5 or R6, slightly leaning towards the R5 with more 3.5 drive space stock.

Any experience/opinions between them or something similar?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I used an NZXT Source 210, 8x 3.5" drive bays, 3x 5.25" drive bays. Enough to fit 14-15 3.5" HDDs in it. The "Elite" model has windows and tool-less mounts.

Sadly, discontinued.

Edit: PM me, if you want to make an offer on mine, I'm not currently using it.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
how many drives we looking at?
How big of a motherboard? ATX? MATX? iTX?
What is your budget?

Personally i would get a case with hotswap, and one where the fan is directly blowing on the drives.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Atx, 6 with ability for 2 more preferable for just in case.

Dont care about hot swap.

One of the things i saw about the R5 compared to the R6 was that the drives were positioned more in line for direct airflow.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I had looked at that one. Bunch of reviews talk about bad airflow and I'm not sure I like all those exposed capacitors just sitting in the open there.

Last edited:

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I have a 2 bay QNAP NAS. Why not go with one of the out of the box solutions that have RAID and all that built in? You don't need that many drives if you can support these 4-6TB drives....or can do multiple arrays for fast/slow storage or tiered storage.

I'm just curious... I really like the compactness, canned configuration, and Linux back-end of those similar systems.

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013
I have a 2 bay QNAP NAS. Why not go with one of the out of the box solutions that have RAID and all that built in? You don't need that many drives if you can support these 4-6TB drives....or can do multiple arrays for fast/slow storage or tiered storage.

I'm just curious... I really like the compactness, canned configuration, and Linux back-end of those similar systems.

I have a nice QNAP 2 bay NAS and I love it but it has severe limitations. Two bays just don't cut it. Four bays doesn't even cut it. Not only from a pure storage pool size limitation but also your lack of RAID options. Now you throw in the poor performance and lack of value versus what you can build for the same price or lower and it is a no brainer to build your own NAS. There are a myriad of good software solutions that blow away QNAP or Synology. You just have to put the time in to familiarize yourself to say FreeNAS or OpenMedia Vault.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I have a nice QNAP 2 bay NAS and I love it but it has severe limitations. Two bays just don't cut it. Four bays doesn't even cut it. Not only from a pure storage pool size limitation but also your lack of RAID options. Now you throw in the poor performance and lack of value versus what you can build for the same price or lower and it is a no brainer to build your own NAS. There are a myriad of good software solutions that blow away QNAP or Synology. You just have to put the time in to familiarize yourself to say FreeNAS or OpenMedia Vault.
RAID 1 or 10 beats no raid. I actually had a drive fail on my qnap and I was able to swap the drive and have the array rebuild. I haven't had many issues with it, but it's more of a storage valut for me.

I know where you're coming from... I installed freeNAS maybe 15 years ago and like the flexibility...but am tired of maintaining stuff. I have administered a number of EMC Clariions as well as other Enterprise storage solutions and know the difference between those, the small business and home solutions. It sounds like the OP wants to use hardware on hand. I personally like the small footprint and low power consumption of those devices....as well as firmware-style patching...everyone has different needs. With SSD is cheap as it is, it's going to be great seeing hyper-fast arrays being created for not a lot of money.

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013
RAID 1 or 10 beats no raid. I actually had a drive fail on my qnap and I was able to swap the drive and have the array rebuild. I haven't had many issues with it, but it's more of a storage valut for me.

I know where you're coming from... I installed freeNAS maybe 15 years ago and like the flexibility...but am tired of maintaining stuff. I have administered a number of EMC Clariions as well as other Enterprise storage solutions and know the difference between those, the small business and home solutions. It sounds like the OP wants to use hardware on hand. I personally like the small footprint and low power consumption of those devices....as well as firmware-style patching...everyone has different needs. With SSD is cheap as it is, it's going to be great seeing hyper-fast arrays being created for not a lot of money.

You can't beat them if you want to step back from messing around with software. I give you that.