Case Airflow Question

MiRai

Dec 3, 2010
I've got a Silverstone FT02 where the air flows from the bottom of the case to the top. When purchasing video cards, I've always stuck with the reference blower-type coolers so that the airflow stays in moving from top to bottom (GPUs are mounted sideways in this case -- I'm sure most of you are familiar with the layout).

My question is... Am I going to run into an issue with airflow while running GPUs that are equipped with the non-reference cooler like the one at the bottom of this image?

I realize I'm probably worrying about nothing, but I just wanted to see what the general consensus was if the fans were fighting against each other (case fans flowing upward and GPU fans flowing left with the air outlet being the top of the case).

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Your temps might be a few degrees higher, since those coolers will generally cause some warm exhausted air to be included with the cool air, where the blower-style won't. But, they allow for quieter operation, due to the fan arrangement, and for the heatsink to have more mass and surface area within the confined space of 2 slots. Unless you are heavily overclocking, the mild temperature increase is not going to be a problem.