"Cartridges" are back! -- the Next Nintendo system

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
http://gizmodo.com/the-new-nintendo-console-sounds-absurd-1784319296

Tom Phillips at Eurogamer reports that the new console will be a tablet with controllers on either side that can be detached from proper Wiimote-style gesturing. The tablet could also connect to a TV for more traditional console gaming. Eurogamer also says that the device will run on an Nvidia Tegra chip and will use cartridges like that yellowed SNES game at the bottom of your closet.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Well they lost me at tablet.

Nintendo just does not understand console gaming today. Even if it comes with Zelda and a new Metroid Prime I would refuse to buy it. Sorry Nintendo, you suck.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I feel like Nintendo hates me. Put out a small console with all of your standard games or just release them on other platforms.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
i don't have an issue with carts

assuming the are just flash memory it would eliminate the loading times even modern consoles have

the rest is crap

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
Oh my lord. they are actually trying to die. Let's take the one thing most disliked about the Wii U, the gamepad (even if I do think it has uses), and double down on the stupid.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
I for one can't wait to see what gimmicky crap they come up with next!:thumbsup:

HOOfan 1

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2007
I wonder how well the nvidia shield tablet sold. I wonder if Nintendo even looked into the Shield tablet.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
It's almost like they make these decisions in a vacuum with no consideration for what's going on in the world.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I was shocked that they are talking about a year old SoC for an upcoming platform. Makes sense if this is going to be a portable platform, but offers no hope of a true home console that will remain powerful enough for 4-5 years. MS and Sony are already looking to roll out new models to support 4k and Nintendo is barely catching up.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Ever since the N64, Nintendo has been playing catch-up with the competition. After reading about this, I'm not convinced they are intentionally trying to go out of business so they can make a killing by selling off their IPs to other companies; because let's face it - it doesn't even look like they are trying to compete anymore.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
I am excited. I couldn't justify a Wii U, and I could barely justify a 3DS (I hate the 3D gimmick so without LTTP 2 I wouldn't have touched it). I can for sure justify a single device that does both.

Looking forward to being a Nintendo customer again.

renz20003

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2011
By using Nvidia tech they might start using a smartphone like release schedule.

Every 12-18 months could be a new hardware revision while retaining backwards compatibility with the Tegra

Nintendo has done it with all their other portables anyway.

The downfall like always will be 3rd party support. The vita proved that developers don't want to invest in a AAA game for a handheld.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I am excited. I couldn't justify a Wii U, and I could barely justify a 3DS (I hate the 3D gimmick so without LTTP 2 I wouldn't have touched it). I can for sure justify a single device that does both.

Looking forward to being a Nintendo customer again.
I just can't get excited yet. I love my 3DS, there's so many good games on it but I just don't know yet about this NX. So much of it doesn't make total sense yet.

Trente

Golden Member
Apr 19, 2003
If Sony and MS are losing money on their consoles, it could very well be that Nintendo cannot or is not willing to take a financial risk such as that - provided that selling titles for the console is supposed to make up for expected loses as well as adding a margin over that.

We already have two boxes that are alike, in their conceptual as well as technical aspects, down to the very architecture used! All-in-all, Nintendo's doing what it believes it does best, considering current market constraints and demands that are dramatically different than during the 1990s (i.e., PCs being cheaper than ever require consoles makers that want to be on the cutting edge technologically-wise to price their products competitively, up to a point of losing money on each hardware sale).

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
If Sony and MS are losing money on their consoles, it could very well be that Nintendo cannot or is not willing to take a financial risk such as that - provided that selling titles for the console is supposed to make up for expected loses as well as adding a margin over that.

We already have two boxes that are alike, in their conceptual as well as technical aspects, down to the very architecture used! All-in-all, Nintendo's doing what it believes it does best, considering current market constraints and demands that are dramatically different than during the 1990s (i.e., PCs being cheaper than ever require consoles makers that want to be on the cutting edge technologically-wise to price their products competitively, up to a point of losing money on each hardware sale).

Sony has been turning a profit on each unit sold for a long time. I believe they were making a profit from hardware less than 6 months after launch.

Trente

Golden Member
Apr 19, 2003
Yes, but Sony's deep pockets allow itself to lose money for the sake of the "unknown future" and take a hit if need be. Nintendo's pockets, though relatively deep, might just not be deep enough for such a gamble (Sony has other departments and business fronts to rely on in case of a failure. Not sure if Nintendo can allow itself even one failure in such magnitude).

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
What? No, no. You have it backwards. Nintendo has tons of cash. Sony didn't. Sony was/is hurting but is making a rebound now I think. Anyway, Nintendo can afford it. They just choose not to compete.

pathos

Aug 12, 2009
What? No, no. You have it backwards. Nintendo has tons of cash. Sony didn't. Sony was/is hurting but is making a rebound now I think. Anyway, Nintendo can afford it. They just choose not to compete.

Pretty much this. If I understand it correctly, Sony's game/ps4 division is actually in good shape. It's the rest of the company that's dragging it down.

Nintendo still has alot of money left over from their Wii cash cow, even if the U hasn't been...all that much of a success.

That's just my understanding of it though

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
i'm not sure if you all hard heard, but there is this new game out called "pokemon go" that is made by nintendo and is worth billions.

nintendo is doing just fine.

HOOfan 1

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2007
i'm not sure if you all hard heard, but there is this new game out called "pokemon go" that is made by nintendo and is worth billions.

nintendo is doing just fine.

It wasn't made by Nintendo...it wasn't even published by Nintendo

It is made and published by Niantec

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
It wasn't made by Nintendo...it wasn't even published by Nintendo

It is made and published by Niantec

Let's not pretend Nintendo isn't getting a cut. They're still making a lot of money off of Pokemon Go.

And I enjoy all the people making concrete decisions on a rumors. I remember when the prank render got posted, same thing.

I'm waiting until an announce. And if it has Pikmin, I'll buy it. I play games. Some games require a certain system. End of story.