Cars that have been wrapped

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I was looking to buy a fun third vehicle, something with some off-road capability, so I keep looking around periodically for used G wagons. Something that is at least a few years old that has taken a huge depreciation hit and these seem to be very capable and fairly reliable. Anyway, I came upon a G550 at a local higher end used car dealer but it has been wrapped. Looking at the car fax it was purchased at an auction and the wrap looks brand new, it is a dark matte green color that actually looks pretty good on the vehicle but I’m wondering what is hiding underneath that wrap. I know the car is actually black which is probably my least favorite color.

I know, why not buy a Jeep? I know, they are plentiful and great at off-road and there is loads of aftermarket support for them to go from mild to wild but I hate Jeeps and everyone has them.

Anyway, they are asking too much for this one and that wrap has me wondering if they’re trying to hide something underneath it. Makes me wonder what they paid for this at auction too.

798A608E-B71E-4A96-92EC-5BC237AD6720.jpeg

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
It might just be scratched up - but yeah, I wouldn't buy a car pre-wrapped.
The point of a wrap is to customize the car to your wishes, so this sure smells fishy.
Could be some barely sanded down rust under there, and you wouldn't ever know, until it's too late.

Unless they have photos documenting the state pre-wrap: don't touch.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
It might just be scratched up - but yeah, I wouldn't buy a car pre-wrapped.
The point of a wrap is to customize the car to your wishes, so this sure smells fishy.
Could be some barely sanded down rust under there, and you wouldn't ever know, until it's too late.

Unless they have photos documenting the state pre-wrap: don't touch.

I highly doubt it was rust. This vehicle has spent its life in SoCal and it is only 5 years old. Cars just don’t rust here unless you store them in the ocean.

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
G-class owners doing G-class thing. A saunter through the spray, some wild slipping - okay, I admit, I'm pushing it :D

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
G-class owners doing G-class thing. A saunter through the spray, some wild slipping - okay, I admit, I'm pushing it :D

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

I was thinking of getting a roof top tent for it and taking out to Ludlow and up to the Mojave Megaphone. I have camped out there before. A decent Toyota Landcruiser is also a possibility. I would like to spend around $20k max which may not be doable for a G wagon. I did see an older G500 for sale locally for $29k but it is now listed as sale pending... whatever that means.

I want something tough and capable but also something I can drive long distances in comfortably as the American southwest is a big place with vast stretches of highway between destinations.

A well maintained GX460/470 would not be out of the question either.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Good luck removing it.

They’re asking too much for this one but it got me thinking, wondering if the wrap was an attempt to make the vehicle more appealing to a potential buyer or to hide something that would cost a lot more than the wrap to correct.

Plus, they’re marketing this as a highly optioned Mercedes “Designo” color, which it is definitely not so there is one lie right there.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
roo
I was thinking of getting a roof top tent for it and taking out to Ludlow and up to the Mojave Megaphone. I have camped out there before. A decent Toyota Landcruiser is also a possibility. I would like to spend around $20k max which may not be doable for a G wagon. I did see an older G500 for sale locally for $29k but it is now listed as sale pending... whatever that means.

I want something tough and capable but also something I can drive long distances in comfortably as the American southwest is a big place with vast stretches of highway between destinations.

rooftop tents seem like a good idea, but in practice are a pain.

pick up with a topper is easier to sleep in, more storage, and you don't have to take the whole thing apart every time you sleep, easier access.

less mall cred though, and not available with a German star on the front. :p

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The brush guard is flush with the plastic bumper? That's a bold design choice.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
i think that's the g 63 AMG bumper and guard. the standard one has different looking vents not exactly the thing an off Roader buys.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
roo

rooftop tents seem like a good idea, but in practice are a pain.

pick up with a topper is easier to sleep in, more storage, and you don't have to take the whole thing apart every time you sleep, easier access.

less mall cred though, and not available with a German star on the front. :p

Is it more of a pain in the ass than a ground tent?

Are malls even a thing anymore? I read that Amazon was turning them into fulfillment centers.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
I usually wouldn't expect a wrap to "hide" something. Surface imperfections like deep scratches, etc can be picked up with a good wrap job because the vinyl won't adhere correctly.

With that said, I would never buy a wrapped car without intending to buy a wrapped car. I wrapped the top of my explorer and it was cracked and peeling away anywhere there was a body line after about 2 years.

More than likely, the wrap was just to cover up a color that they didn't like (or wanted something more unique). They've then established a "value" to that which probably is why it's over a normal asking price.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Why would someone put a military green wrap on a G550?
Ask this guy
T.I.-and-his-Mercedes-Benz-G-Class-760x461.png

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
T.I. I think??

Yup.
Based on a quick search, it looks like tossing a satin khaki green wrap on cars is a thing among the flatbrimmed hat wearing dueschemusic listening crowd. There is probably a youtube video of the original owner that starts out with crappy music and leads into a "Hey whats up guys...." intro.
I can almost guarantee there is a dueschy video with that car out there somewhere on youtube.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I usually wouldn't expect a wrap to "hide" something. Surface imperfections like deep scratches, etc can be picked up with a good wrap job because the vinyl won't adhere correctly.

With that said, I would never buy a wrapped car without intending to buy a wrapped car. I wrapped the top of my explorer and it was cracked and peeling away anywhere there was a body line after about 2 years.

More than likely, the wrap was just to cover up a color that they didn't like (or wanted something more unique). They've then established a "value" to that which probably is why it's over a normal asking price.

Bondo does wonders to hide surface imperfections.... for awhile, anyway :)

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001

Prices for GX470's are out of control, especially in Socal. You can get a GX460 for not much more than a clean GX470. It'd be at the high end of your price range but you may be able to find a 200-series (2008+) Landcruiser/LX570 as well.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
higher end used car dealer...
it has been wrapped...
purchased at an auction...
they are asking too much....

Enough to make you move on to something else.

I'd never pay the high end used car dealer markup for something bought at auction unless I knew it was a repo the bank was offloading, then would want the vin to lookup the prior owner and ask about it.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Prices for GX470's are out of control, especially in Socal. You can get a GX460 for not much more than a clean GX470. It'd be at the high end of your price range but you may be able to find a 200-series (2008+) Landcruiser/LX570 as well.

Almost makes me want to buy a new one... except they are ugly as sin.

New Landcruisers look good though.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Why are you even considering subjecting a semi-valuable vehicle to offroading?

You can get many different 4WD vehicles that are fine for that, under $5K and fix them up. It's 90% tires and the lift to make them fit. And the ground clearance.

A GX-anything without a lift is piss poor at offroading. If you want one, you want one, and it beats a car for offroading but it just doesn't suit your claimed reasons unless offroading only means "I don't have a paved driveway".

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Why are you even considering subjecting a semi-valuable vehicle to offroading?

You can get many different 4WD vehicles that are fine for that, under $5K and fix them up. It's 90% tires and the lift to make them fit. And the ground clearance.

A GX-anything without a lift is piss poor at offroading. If you want one, you want one, and it beats a car for offroading but it just doesn't suit your claimed reasons unless offroading only means "I don't have a paved driveway".

The places I will be going are not extreme off-road trails. A lift is not necessary for the type of off-roading I will be doing. The guys I am off-roading with, one has a Ford F250 4x4 that is completely stock and the other has a Tacoma TRD Pro.

If I did find a suitable pre-owned vehicle a mild lift and some larger tires would not be out of the question though.

And why wouldn’t you take a vehicle like this off-road? It’s what they were designed to do.

Last edited:

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
The places I will be going are not extreme off-road trails. A lift is not necessary for the type of off-roading I will be doing. The guys I am off-roading with, one has a Ford F250 4x4 that is completely stock and the other has a Tacoma TRD Pro.

If I did find a suitable pre-owned vehicle a mild lift and some larger tires would not be out of the question though.

And why wouldn’t you take a vehicle like this off-road? It’s what they were designed to do.
I think there's just a stigma about taking a $100k car off roading, however it's not like you're doing aggressive rock crawling or mudding, probably just lightly pitted dirt and forest roads.

I've got an acquaintance in socal who has a G wagon and takes it out to Joshua regularly off roading.