Cars that are SULEV and ULEV

Ranger X

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
Someone had informed me that SULEV vehicles can score you a carpool sticker at the DMV. Does anyone know if this is true? Also, do ULEVs qualify for this too?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
What I want to know is - what comes after "Super Ultra Low"? Mega Super Ultra Low? Very Super Ultra Low? Really Super Ultra Low????

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Just wanted to say Happy New Year to ya Ranger X, hope all is well :D

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: vi_edit
What I want to know is - what comes after "Super Ultra Low"? Mega Super Ultra Low? Very Super Ultra Low? Really Super Ultra Low????

hehe....no doubt. They're starting to sound like the asian-owned pawn shops around town....."Extra Happy Family Lucky Special Emission" :p

Ranger X

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
RossMan, it's going great. :) New Years Resolution should be to drop by AT more often. ;)

SULEV - Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Next ones up should be 'ZEV' and 'AZEV' = Zero Emission Vehicle or Almost Zero Emission Vehicle

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Ranger X
Someone had informed me that SULEV vehicles can score you a carpool sticker at the DMV. Does anyone know if this is true? Also, do ULEVs qualify for this too?

yes..
In California at least, as TGG said..

What Does the Clean Air Vehicle Decal Program Do?
The purpose of the program is to incentivize purchase and use of the cleanest available vehicle models by fleets and private citizens. Until December 31, 2007, single occupant operators of qualifying vehicles will be exempt from the multi-occupancy requirement for use of HOV lanes throughout the state. This will increase the ease of travel for and productivity of these drivers by reducing their time stuck in congested freeway traffic.

What NGVs Qualify?
Every original equipment NGV ever certified by CARB as a ULEV or SULEV, and by US EPA as an ILEV, qualifies for this program. However, NGVs with a gross vehicle weight rating over 14,000 pounds do not qualify, regardless of the engine certification. Vehicles must be federally certified ILEVs to qualify.

Bi-fueled NGVs (those that can use gasoline or CNG) and gasoline powered ULEVs and SULEVs do not qualify.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: The_good_guy
yes in ca..
I wish. The carpool decal for ULEV vehicles only applies if you have an electric vehicle, LPG or CNG vehicle. Even hybrids apparently do not qualify.

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
Originally posted by: uncJIGGA
Next ones up should be 'ZEV' and 'AZEV' = Zero Emission Vehicle or Almost Zero Emission Vehicle

actually.. it looks like PZEV is next

Nissan's MY2000 Sentra has been certified as PZEV (Partial credit for Zero Emissions Vehicle), which exceeds the SULEV standard

Volvo Car Corporation is producing a new gasoline engine that complies with California's 2003 PZEV (Partial Zero Emission Vehicles) standard - the toughest in the world