Cars, Chips, Fire n Water

Nov 17, 2019
Cars burned up in the western fires, flooded out by heavy rains in several states over recent months, chip shortages ......

LightBulb!!!!

Make cars not rolling super computers!!!!!

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Cars burned up in the western fires, flooded out by heavy rains in several states over recent months, chip shortages ......

LightBulb!!!!

I sure wish I had a mechanical instrument cluster. Looks like it's finally died. Last estimate from Shysler was $1700. Gee, who new commercial grade electronics in a car would be a really bad idea.

Reactions: Zorba

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Cut the anti-Semitic shit out asshole.

I didn't even think about that since the only people I recall using it are my Jewish friends and family. Don't recall ever using the term myself because it always sounded corny and old timey.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I didn't even think about that since the only people I recall using it are my Jewish friends and family. Don't recall ever using the term myself because it always sounded corny and old timey.
Had no idea there was anything anti Semitic in it. probably from German Scheisser, literally, defecator. Nope, that's from Websters. No Yiddish derivation observed. And yes, I am old.

Jan 25, 2011
Reminds me of a time a coworker flipped out because a trainee had a pay issue and said they got “jewed”. He of course was Jewish. He then proceeded to chastise the kid and tell them next time to say they got “gypped“ or something like that…

I just shook my head and wept for society.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Cut the anti-Semitic shit out asshole.
for those of us lacking proper wokeness.

what?

edit: so I took some time and looked it up:
note: this edit went in after no less then 2 people had posted after me
no references to jew-ish anything.

I think your wrong on this one. Or is there some new secret meaning? Because if feels like the world today has turned into all sorts of BS traps with secret meanings for hand signals and everything else that nobody sane person can keep track of.

Reminds me of a time a coworker flipped out because a trainee had a pay issue and said they got “jewed”. He of course was Jewish. He then proceeded to chastise the kid and tell them next time to say they got “gypped“ or something like that…

I just shook my head and wept for society.
Both of those I totally get.

Reactions: pcgeek11

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Had no idea there was anything anti Semitic in it. probably from German Scheisser, literally, defecator. Nope, that's from Websters. No Yiddish derivation observed. And yes, I am old.

He probably thinks it is derived from Shylock from Merchant of Venice, an anti-semitic stereotype. But it isn't. It's derived from the German Scheisser as you say above.

Reactions: hal2kilo
Mar 11, 2004
for those of us lacking proper wokeness.

what?

edit: so I took some time and looked it up:
note: this edit went in after no less then 2 people had posted after me
no references to jew-ish anything.

I think your wrong on this one. Or is there some new secret meaning? Because if feels like the world today has turned into all sorts of BS traps with secret meanings for hand signals and everything else that nobody sane person can keep track of.

Both of those I totally get.

I've only ever heard it applied to Jewish people or people being accused of acting like stereotypical Jews. For instance how Frank refers to the lawyer (alternating between calling him Jewish and that as derogatory slang, the lawyer is not Jewish), on Always Sunny.

You need stronger Google skills too apparently. Just search for if that is anti-Semitic and you'll find plenty of places pointing it out. Of course you'll find plenty of people trying to push back and there's arguments about where it originated or is derived (which are all over the place, from Shakespeare to just about every other place since - the issue being that words change meaning I mean you people can point to origins of gay and other gay slurs all you want, doesn't magically make them not slurs towards gay people as well):

Seriously, for fuck's sake some of you really are just...mindblowingly weirdly ignorant. I grew up in the rural Midwest where there basically was hardly any Jewish people (and hell even rare was anti-Semitism because of it - but of that rare anti-Semitism I heard it was one of two explicitly was anti-Semitic words that were), but I fucking knew that and pretty sure I've known that since like high school. Some of you claim to live in NYC and other large cities that have a healthy Jewish population and never knew this? What the fuck?

Do I think everyone using it is being anti-Semitic? Apparently some of you genuinely had no idea? Which, ok, some think it applies just to lawyers, but that doesn't make a ton of sense to be using that in that way about Chrysler so sorry I'm not buying that claim - its clear it was meant as greedy, which is the prime Jewish stereotype.

Something else to keep in mind, places like National Review champion its use, you might want to wonder why that is. I personally have never ever heard it said by someone who was not also being explicitly anti-Semitic.

And for further points about mixed uses of words: see the discussion of calling a black man "boy" in...forget what thread from the other day. If you look at the etymology, then yeah, benign meaning, right? Right? Does that mean everyone calling someone a boy is being racist? Obviously not. And, hey, there's apparently lots of Jewish people that don't have any issue with that word.

Looking more, its interesting. Some Jewish people even thought it was Yiddish and was Jewish slang for unscrupulous person (not even a lawyer) so seems like its had a lot of mixed usage. Honestly I'm more relieved that seemingly no one else in this thread had heard it used in the anti-Semitic sense (especially if you are around Jewish populations). Unfortunately that's been the only way I've ever encountered it being used. I'm not the only one either though either.

It'd be very weird if people were deriving it from Shylock and ignoring the blatant anti-Semitism with regards to that character, and instead gaining only that it was only about lawyers. Further would be weird if the assumption was the German origins and yet it wasn't used for anti-Semitism as well (since basically every insult they used for a time there was about anti-Semitism). Actually now, I want to rewatch that documentary, think it was Devil Next Door about the old guy in Detroit that was charged with being a Nazi war criminal. I know the lawyer that defended him (and was an Israeli Jew) was called anti-Semitic by other Jewish people, I feel like that term made an appearance in it.

Its kinda blowing my mind that no one else in this thread had heard it used as such? I kinda feel like I'm being gaslit like you're all Randall and I'm Dante in Clerks II.

Last edited:
  • Haha

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
Not to mention the chicken wing shortage
lol Wings have been overpriced for years my man. I remember being able to buy 30 lb of wings 20 years ago for dirt cheap. For NYE 2000, I bought about 80 lb of drumettes and 40 lb the mid wing. That was in addition to everything else. I still remember the food from that day, to be honest.

Pork spare ribs are incredibly pricey now. I got lucky today with pre pandemic pricing. It had been $6.99-8 a lb for a while here.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Do I think everyone using it is being anti-Semitic? Apparently some of you genuinely had no idea? Which, ok, some think it applies just to lawyers, but that doesn't make a ton of sense to be using that in that way about Chrysler so sorry I'm not buying that claim - its clear it was meant as greedy.

Something else to keep in mind, places like National Review champion its use, you might want to wonder why that is. I personally have never ever heard it said by someone who was not also being explicitly anti-Semitic.
I never had any idea it had anti-Semitic origins, I just knew it basically meant a shady lawyer. Now that I know, I can shy away from it in the future/inform others (like I do when I hear someone say "gypped")

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I've only ever heard it applied to Jewish people or people being accused of acting like stereotypical Jews. For instance how Frank refers to the lawyer (alternating between calling him Jewish and that as derogatory slang, the lawyer is not Jewish), on Always Sunny.

You need stronger Google skills too apparently. Just search for if that is anti-Semitic and you'll find plenty of places pointing it out. Of course you'll find plenty of people trying to push back and there's arguments about where it originated or is derived (which are all over the place, from Shakespeare to just about every other place since - the issue being that words change meaning I mean you people can point to origins of gay and other gay slurs all you want, doesn't magically make them not slurs towards gay people as well):

Seriously, for fuck's sake some of you really are just...mindblowingly weirdly ignorant. I grew up in the rural Midwest where there basically was hardly any Jewish people (and hell even rare was anti-Semitism because of it - but of that rare anti-Semitism I heard it was one of two explicitly was anti-Semitic words that were), but I fucking knew that and pretty sure I've known that since like high school. Some of you claim to live in NYC and other large cities that have a healthy Jewish population and never knew this? What the fuck?

Do I think everyone using it is being anti-Semitic? Apparently some of you genuinely had no idea? Which, ok, some think it applies just to lawyers, but that doesn't make a ton of sense to be using that in that way about Chrysler so sorry I'm not buying that claim - its clear it was meant as greedy, which is the prime Jewish stereotype.

And for further points about mixed uses of words: see the discussion of calling a black man "boy" in...forget what thread from the other day. If you look at the etymology, then yeah, benign meaning, right? Right? Does that mean everyone calling someone a boy is being racist? Obviously not. And, hey, there's apparently lots of Jewish people that don't have any issue with that word.

Looking more, its interesting. Some Jewish people even thought it was Yiddish and was Jewish slang for unscrupulous person (not even a lawyer) so seems like its had a lot of mixed usage. Honestly I'm more relieved that seemingly no one else in this thread had heard it used in the anti-Semitic sense (especially if you are around Jewish populations). Unfortunately that's been the only way I've ever encountered it being used. I'm not the only one either though either.

It'd be very weird if people were deriving it from Shylock and ignoring the blatant anti-Semitism with regards to that character, and instead gaining only that it was only about lawyers. Further would be weird if the assumption was the German origins and yet it wasn't used for anti-Semitism as well (since basically every insult they used for a time there was about anti-Semitism). Actually now, I want to rewatch that documentary, think it was Devil Next Door about the old guy in Detroit that was charged with being a Nazi war criminal. I know the lawyer that defended him (and was an Israeli Jew) was called anti-Semitic by other Jewish people, I feel like that term made an appearance in it.

Its kinda blowing my mind that no one else in this thread had heard it used as such? I kinda feel like I'm being gaslit like you're all Randall and I'm Dante in Clerks II.

Was it used in an anti semitic context? Have you known said poster to be toying with neo nazi concepts? White supremacy? Anything?
Here you are, hiding in the shadows, WAITING for something possibly offensive and JUMP.... Take a break man.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Was it used in an anti semitic context? Have you known said poster to be toying with neo nazi concepts? White supremacy? Anything?
Here you are, hiding in the shadows, WAITING for something possibly offensive and JUMP.... Take a break man.
This self-righteous asshole is one of only two people I choose to block here, seems I chose wisely.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000

LightBulb!!!!

It is literally impossible to meet EPA regulations with a carburetor engine, fuel injection is a must, making the issue much worse is that newer cars have all kinds of luxury/safety items buyers expect like lane assist, parking assist, you name it. All these of course require CPU processing power and, more chips. Also when GM, Ford, Toyota design a new feature set for a new vehicle they don't use off the shelf CPU's but custom one's built just for their purpose.

Nov 17, 2019
It is literally impossible to meet EPA regulations with a carburetor engine, fuel injection is a must, making the issue much worse is that newer cars have all kinds of luxury/safety items buyers expect like lane assist, parking assist, you name it. All these of course require CPU processing power and, more chips. Also when GM, Ford, Toyota design a new feature set for a new vehicle they don't use off the shelf CPU's but custom one's built just for their purpose.

All that crap is why I'll never have a car made after the early 00's when it all started. Problem now is with all the totaled, flooded wrecks people will be seeking whatever they can afford short term which drives up the used market. Which is the point of this thread, not all whatever else is being whined about.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
The used market was already kinda nuts starting last year, too!
Not until shortly after I sold my car, of course :|

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
All that crap is why I'll never have a car made after the early 00's when it all started. Problem now is with all the totaled, flooded wrecks people will be seeking whatever they can afford short term which drives up the used market. Which is the point of this thread, not all whatever else is being whined about.
I have a little prepper gene.. you know how long you have to go back to get a gasoline driven vehicle without chips? Its impossible, thats how old.