Carrier unlock iPhone

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Call AT&T and tell them to unlock it? That's what I did for an old phone I gave to my daughter.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Are you sure its locked to ATT? All my 2 dozen various verizon iphones accept any sim.

Dice144

Oct 22, 2010
Yes. I went to Tmobile because it was giving a sim error. It needs to be unlocked the store said.
Got the phone for $150 from kids mom. Cricket wont allow her to use it, same error. They said to buy the unlock code

Feb 19, 2001
Are you sure its locked to ATT? All my 2 dozen various verizon iphones accept any sim.
IIRC Verizon had something going on with unlocked phones. I remember reading the iPhone 5 launch and mine was unlocked out of the box. I was able to shove in an AT&T SIM before. However I'm fairly certain AT&T phones are locked and you need them to unlock it.

Edit: This site confirms what I was saying about Verizon:

Since the iPhone 5, Verizon iPhones have been sold unlocked, allowing you to move them to another carrier with no intervention. Older iPhones may be locked and may require you to contact Verizon if you want to use them on another carrier. Unlocking the phone is painless, just call Customer Service (800-711-8300) and ask for an SIM unlock. Verizon’s unlocking policy details are available here.