Carrier to relocate 1,400 Indianapolis jobs to Mexico

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
No, it isn't OK, but thanks for succeeding in being a smug jerk - just to clarify that that is what you were trying to be, of course.

Sorry not trying to be a jerk. Just tired of people bashing something one group does and choosing to spite them in favor of someone else that does the same thing.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Sorry not trying to be a jerk. Just tired of people bashing something one group does and choosing to spite them in favor of someone else that does the same thing.

I'm sorry too - not in a good mood right now (wife's flower delivery was all messed up :( ) and took it out on you.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Do you shop on price?

Why so greedy?

Sure price is a factor, but not the end-all-be-all. I look for quality, support, and pricing. Typically companies that chase pricing have bad quality and support... Just look at the power tool market, once great companies are now cheap garbage. Hilti still makes fine tools.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Every cree bulb I have ever bought failed in less than two years. They are overpriced crap as far as I am concerned. Phillips and Ikea bulbs have zero failures so far.
I have two chandeliers full of the USA bulbs, one with 8 bulbs and the other with 6, a 4 light bathroom light plus a handful of singles in my house and they are all fine, been here for 2 years and 2 months and some of them run on timer switches that run for 6 hours a night every single night. The last set of Crees I bought were the ones from Mexico and they had the problems I listed. Every Phillips bulb I got buzzed so loud even on LED dimmers I could hear them from across the room, we even had one on a regular switch that was buzzing like it was an old magnetic ballast florescent shop light.

Ikea bulbs I have also had good luck with though. I have had decent luck with those Home Depot bulbs in the teal box also, but the temperature color of them is way off from what the box says.

Last edited:

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Sure price is a factor, but not the end-all-be-all. I look for quality, support, and pricing. Typically companies that chase pricing have bad quality and support... Just look at the power tool market, once great companies are now cheap garbage. Hilti still makes fine tools.
Most of my stuff I go out of the way to buy quality made, that was my point to him in post #59. Buying in that fashion has done me really well and saved me money/time in the long run. I have power and hand tools that date back to the 60's and they still work great to this day.

If I can buy a tool, hardware or appliance that is American made that lasts me 4X longer than any cheap China made rag then even if it costs 3x as much for me it has saved me time, money in the long run, saved the environment and it's helped employ a fellow American. win win win win

x26

Sep 17, 2007
You said it.. ability to dump waste into the water or where ever and cheaper labor.

Corporations like to paint a complicated picture because it helps them with their excuse, but it's not at all complicated, greed is 100% the driver.

I'm tired of hearing that we don't have the facilities here in the US to do any of this, we took plants that were building civilian equipment and turned them into war factories for WW2, if we could once do that we can sure as hell manufacture any and everything it takes to build a furnace in todays day and age.

My favorite hypocrisy from people like Tim Crook is when he says that "ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE" and then says that bringing manufacturing back the the US isn't possible.

"Fuck Tim Crook" !!!

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
gordon-gekko-michael-douglas.jpg

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
https://youtu.be/Y3ttxGMQOrY

Damn, there's no nice way to tell people they no longer have a job but that guy just comes off like an ass. "Yeah you're all out of a job, now quiet down while I tell you about our commitment to excellence that will extend to Mexico".

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
The American Government has distorted costs so far, that it is cheaper to build air conditioners, somewhere else, and then transport them back here.

That's not good Government, that's insanity.

-John

Hondact70

Jan 13, 2016
Total is 2,100 jobs out of Indiana. They are also moving the control manufacturing out of Huntington,IN that employees 700.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
The difference between importing the foreign labor and exporting the jobs to it is where the wages are spent. If there's a lesser of two evils it's importing so at least those wages are still spent domestically.

Illegals send back a big chunk of earnings back to their home countries. Mexican workers send home $24+ billion per year.

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
24 years ago Ross Perot coined the phrase "giant sucking sound" and boy, he was right on all fronts.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
https://youtu.be/Y3ttxGMQOrY

Damn, there's no nice way to tell people they no longer have a job but that guy just comes off like an ass. "Yeah you're all out of a job, now quiet down while I tell you about our commitment to excellence that will extend to Mexico".
I am surprised we haven't seen one of these yet where the people are just fed up and beat the crap out of the guy. People need to make a stand and be done with Carrier, tell your HVAC vendors USA made/assembled or take a hike.

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Went with Trane. Bit more upfront, but way nicer unit and no more expensive when operating costs are added.

2007 installed full Trane HVAC to replace our old system. That Trane has been a fucking nightmare. I've spent a great deal of money repairing it. It even had a bad coil which is almost unheard of with the Aluminum units. The AC portion of the unit has been the problem child.

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
I am surprised we haven't seen one of these yet where the people are just fed up and beat the crap out of the guy. People need to make a stand and be done with Carrier, tell your HVAC vendors USA made/assembled or take a hike.

Good luck finding one made in the U.S.?

The problem is NAFTA. The problem is gov't regulations that also force companies to manufacture overseas. 1. Less regulations make it cheaper. 2. Some regulations mean you can't even make your shit at all over here.

We are exporting our jobs while polluting the 3rd world.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Good luck finding one made in the U.S.?

The problem is NAFTA. The problem is gov't regulations that also force companies to manufacture overseas. 1. Less regulations make it cheaper. 2. Some regulations mean you can't even make your shit at all over here.

We are exporting our jobs while polluting the 3rd world.
NAFTA and TPP have been some of the worst things in the world, that is why tools like Jhhnnnnnnnnn scatter at the sight of the topic because there is no defense for that.

We need laws that make it illegal to sell goods in the US that use manufacturing practices that would be illegal here. How can the US ever compete when our people have found out that they are actually human beings and that companies can't dump lead upriver from the same place all of their employees live.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
We need to be reaslistic... manufacturing jobs, and a lot of service jobs and yes even high skilled jobs are going to go away either via outsourcing or AI and there's nothing we can do about it.

I wish we were having a discussion about introducing basic income, but none of the candidates are talking about it.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
This is the result of globalization. Who started it? Our own businesses.

Can anyone stop it? No. The only way is innovate and create new jobs.

And invest in yourself.
Time was we charged tariffs on imported goods, so you could move your factory if you wished but you'd gain no competitive advantage for doing so. As a bonus, those foreign manufacturers who wanted to play in our market were often incented to open American factories. Now we've embraced free trade, which means that American workers have to compete on equal terms with workers in Mexico, China, India, Vietnam, etc. True, they have shipping costs, but they also have much lower environmental and worker safety regulations driving up costs.

At some point we'll no longer be able to borrow cheap money and we'll default. At that point, we'll have to once again figure out how to manufacture products and live within our means. Until then, enjoy the ride down. It might not seem too attractive, but compared to the long climb up . . .

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
NAFTA and TPP have been some of the worst things in the world, that is why tools like Jhhnnnnnnnnn scatter at the sight of the topic because there is no defense for that.

We need laws that make it illegal to sell goods in the US that use manufacturing practices that would be illegal here. How can the US ever compete when our people have found out that they are actually human beings and that companies can't dump lead upriver from the same place all of their employees live.
Why would tools like Jhhnn scatter? It's not like the Pubbies are any better. If anything, they are slightly worse.

We need to be reaslistic... manufacturing jobs, and a lot of service jobs and yes even high skilled jobs are going to go away either via outsourcing or AI and there's nothing we can do about it.

I wish we were having a discussion about introducing basic income, but none of the candidates are talking about it.
We're losing our wealth creation and instead you want to focus on how we can seize and redistribute it without regard to who actually earned it?

Does the term "rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic" mean anything to you?