Carly Fiorina Gives Us Good Reason To Boycott HP - Compaq Products.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Gaard Any reason why she added the word 'anymore' to the end of her statement? I wonder if she thinks there used to be jobs that were America's God given right. ;)

Very good point ;) Sometimes I suspect people think they have a "God given right" to (Fill in the blank) just because they were born in America. It's really a nonsense attitude, and if you want to talk about ideas that are unAmerican, well there you have it ;)

Jason

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
i thought you were a little extreme before but you are a down right jingoistic crazy.

shes right, if americans can't provide the skills to the jobs she needs to fill she has every right to take it overseas.

razor2025

Diamond Member
May 24, 2002
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Guess what? American's today do not feel compelled to pay more for a "Made In America" badge on their consumer goods. Blame them, not the companies who are simply supplying to fill that demand.

That's the STUPIDEST reasoning I've heard. How about this? The companies move back the job to here, raise their wages SO that the workers can easily buy Made in US products? How's that? If you export more jobs and bring down the wage further, how are we able to spend money on American goods? Exportation of jobs and importation of cheap-labor is self-destructing a country.

crooked22

Jan 8, 2004
its not about americans lacking "skill", you can find that by posting a job ad and hundreds will come to show off their "skill" whatever that is...

is the fact that they can find the same skill out of the nation for cheaper. MUCH cheaper. SOOOOOO cheap those peaple over at the other side of the pond go running at it because for them is a ton of money.

meanwhile, americans lose their jobs, their *opportunity* to find them, and WE still pay the SAME price (if not a bit more) for a product in which the company's board of directors is the only one which wins anything... (oh and the person overseas). you and me win nothing (none of that crap that prices become cheaper... i have never seen myself a product that suddenly became cheaper because 300 people here got their jobs move out of the nation). but the company, with all that money they "saved" (or more like earned above markup) can increase their CEOs salary and buy them new BMWs and yatchs and what not. but you and me??? nope
nothing.... (same deal with the Wal-Mart / Mom-n-Pop shop deal. you might say mom-n-pop have to offer competitive prices to keep in business, but how can you out do a corporation that if one store is going bad, they have many many others than can help subsidize that store and still sell items at a great price... even more now that their american jeans are made in guatemala but you still pay the same 15.98 price you used to before the jeans were outsourced.

Shortcut

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2003
BoDs should consider exporting executive jobs to overseas, as well. There should be no sacred cows in cost-control.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: crooked22
its not about americans lacking "skill", you can find that by posting a job ad and hundreds will come to show off their "skill" whatever that is...

is the fact that they can find the same skill out of the nation for cheaper. MUCH cheaper. SOOOOOO cheap those peaple over at the other side of the pond go running at it because for them is a ton of money.

meanwhile, americans lose their jobs, their *opportunity* to find them, and WE still pay the SAME price (if not a bit more) for a product in which the company's board of directors is the only one which wins anything... (oh and the person overseas). you and me win nothing (none of that crap that prices become cheaper... i have never seen myself a product that suddenly became cheaper because 300 people here got their jobs move out of the nation). but the company, with all that money they "saved" (or more like earned above markup) can increase their CEOs salary and buy them new BMWs and yatchs and what not. but you and me??? nope
nothing.... (same deal with the Wal-Mart / Mom-n-Pop shop deal. you might say mom-n-pop have to offer competitive prices to keep in business, but how can you out do a corporation that if one store is going bad, they have many many others than can help subsidize that store and still sell items at a great price... even more now that their american jeans are made in guatemala but you still pay the same 15.98 price you used to before the jeans were outsourced.

Yup, it's not about "competitiveness", it's about "profit maximization". An absurd principle.

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: razor2025
The companies move back the job to here, raise their wages SO that the workers can easily buy Made in US products?

This is pro-union propeganda...

Yes, raise wages so people can buy things... unfortunately we forget what happens when we raise wages:

Wage increases directly correlate with an increase in product costs.
Increased products costs decrease profitability.
Decreased profitability means a company will have to raise prices to stay in business.
An increase in prices causes fewer people to buy.
Fewer people buy means the company's output will decline.
A decline in output will mean people get fired and lose benefits.

Yes, I see the light now! Let's raise everyone's wages by 123410551230578% so we can all easily buy our own products and be rich!!!!

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: sandorski

Yup, it's not about "competitiveness", it's about "profit maximization". An absurd principle.

Why do you think businesses exist. You don't need a 101 business class to learn that a company goes into business to maximize profit.

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
its not about americans lacking "skill"

Apparently that is not the case. Numerous news articles have been run stating that foreign works have greater skills in certain areas.

DanceMan

Jan 26, 2001
Originally posted by: dirtboy
its not about americans lacking "skill"

Apparently that is not the case. Numerous news articles have been run stating that foreign works have greater skills in certain areas.

Yea, but they are also moving jobs like marketing and artwork too. Gonna tell me there's not enough skills here for that too?

There have also been articles that say that although foreign workers are NOT as skilled, companies were still willing to ship work over because of the perceived savings.

DanceMan

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Why do you think businesses exist. You don't need a 101 business class to learn that a company goes into business to maximize profit.

Wrong. Businesses exist to make A Profit. "Maximizing", especially at the cost of the community, is just pure Greed, not good business practice.

Genesys

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2003
Originally posted by: Harvey
Originally posted by: Genesys
HP helped Intel devolp the Itanium....I must have missed that somewhere.
Isn't that something special?
rolleye.gif
Intel's another company that is exporting many of it's jobs to Indian telephone banks. :disgust:

learn how to design chips and motherboards or learn how to write device drivers and you can still work at intel.

besides, you trying to get a job as a phone jockey?

and no, im not particularly excited about American companies outsourcing their jobs to other countries, but those jobs will come back around when the companies have to pay foreign labor the same ammount as domestic labor.

remember, when you get paid more, the cost of living goes up, therefore you have to have a raise in wages, then the cycle repeats itself.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
I just look at it like this. Americans pay 100% of my paycheck/cap gains of course I'm going to try if at all possible to put the most money back in thier pockets with my purchases. Why bite the hand that feeds and spend everything abroad? All my little part would be doing is enriching someone who I'll never see a return from. If that's jingoistic so be it but I call it investment and self-presevation.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

Wrong. Businesses exist to make A Profit. "Maximizing", especially at the cost of the community, is just pure Greed, not good business practice.

Who cares about any "Community", if you're not "Maximizing" your profits you have no business.
Just ask Donald Trump, he has his own show now about that.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

So outsourcing work to maximize profit for these companies benefits America and Americans how?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

So outsourcing work to maximize profit for these companies benefits America and Americans how?

If you're an Executive of the Company, Board Member, large Stockholder or Politician you're living on easy street or a Yaht off an Exotic Island.

Who cares about the rest of the "Americans". They're not "Americans" anymore anyway, they're nothing but a mix of Mexicano and other "Unskilled" Laborers to run the Fast Foods, Landscaping, and stock the shelves of Products from their Uber cheaper than them even brethren overseas.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

If you're an Executive of the Company, Board Member, large Stockholder or Politician you're living on easy street or a Yaht off an Exotic Island.

Who cares about the rest of the "Americans". They're not "Americans" anymore anyway, they're nothing but a mix of Mexicano and other "Unskilled" Laborers to run the Fast Foods, Landscaping, and stock the shelves of Products from their Uber cheaper than them even brethren overseas.

STOP POSTING!

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

STOP POSTING!

What's the matter RD? I thought you were all for this New America with CADDY, Bush, Rush, Sean and everybody, I joined them. Aren't you onboard too? Did you cross over to the "Dark side" on us?

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Originally posted by: xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx
Given her correct usage of "rights," I might just buy an HP printer now...I love educated women.

Yeah, it's only funny until your job is outsourced. I'm sure your handlers could get some poor drifter off the streets of Bangalore to crunch numbers instead of you for a mere fraction of your salary.

I welcome that; however, I don't consider my job a "right", so I safeguard against such scenarios.

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: razor2025
The companies move back the job to here, raise their wages SO that the workers can easily buy Made in US products?

This is pro-union propeganda...

Yes, raise wages so people can buy things... unfortunately we forget what happens when we raise wages:

Wage increases directly correlate with an increase in product costs.
Increased products costs decrease profitability.
Decreased profitability means a company will have to raise prices to stay in business.
An increase in prices causes fewer people to buy.
Fewer people buy means the company's output will decline.
A decline in output will mean people get fired and lose benefits.

Yes, I see the light now! Let's raise everyone's wages by 123410551230578% so we can all easily buy our own products and be rich!!!!

Labor economics in a nutshell, sir...well-said...ask your grandparents what they think about inflation, or people from Brazil, or people who around in Germany when they took wheelbarrows of Reichsmarks to the Kiosk for a loaf of bread (or used to heat their homes)

Jan 12, 2003

lol..how old are you and what do you do for a living, sir?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx

lol..how old are you and what do you do for a living, sir?

38 and I surf the net.

I realize that "Maximizing" is the trendy thing to do, but it not the purpose of business. Not if you want a future anyway.

Jan 12, 2003

...then why don't you become "an Executive of the Company, Board Member, large Stockholder or Politician" and live on "easy street," too? Oh, wait, you love Americans too much for that...or perhaps it takes more work than just sitting around whining about others like "Executives of the Company, Board Members, large Stockholders or Politicians" who have succeeded (at your expense, of course, because there is a fixed pie and they have all the slices, so you can't get any).

Jan 12, 2003

lol..how old are you and what do you do for a living, sir?[/quote]

38 and I surf the net.

I realize that "Maximizing" is the trendy thing to do, but it not the purpose of business. Not if you want a future anyway.[/quote]

So I assume 1.) You don't own a business (or have a surf-the-net business) and 2.) Do not have a large portfolio of stocks in these greedy companies? "Trendy thing to do?" That is funny, man. What's trendy is the companies who fail to maximize profits...here today, gone tomorrow. Do you have money put aside for retirement? Do you own any stocks, or have investments in the myriad of funds out there? I, for one, have a nice chunk of my retirement money in various portfolios and I love companies who maximize profits...if they don't, I will move my money to companies who will...guess what happens when investors sell off these "we're not greedy and not going to maximize profits because we love Americans" companies? Your dad just lost his job.