CarFax discount for AAA members

WarSong

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2002
If you log into the AAA web site, click on "Auto Buying & Financing", then click on "Find out a vehicle's history instantly!" it takes you to CarFax and you get a discount price.

30-day Unlimited look ups: $15.95 (normally $19.99)
Single look up: $11.95 (normally $14.99)

I know it's not as good as the free ones, but it's better than paying full price ;) I'm in the market for a used car and was about to pay full price when I stumbled across this.

alm4rr

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
bump
AAA rocks
(especially when they reimbursed me for $75 in towing expenses) =P

sticky52

Aug 8, 2001
Buyer beware. I entered in the plate number for my Trans Am a few years back just for kicks and it came back with 13 notches on it's record. They then said that I could find out what they are for a nominal fee ($20 at the time). I was eager to know what the heck my car had been through so I plunked down the cash. The report looked something like this:

1. 1985 - Passed Emissions
2. 1986 - Passed Emissions
(...)
13. 1997 - Passed Emissions

I wouldn't hesitate to BM on their B&M office if I happened upon it.

WarSong

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2002
You were mad to find out that your vehicle did not have any major problems that you should be aware of? I would think thats a good thing.

Easygoing

Dec 9, 1999
Here is another tip. Instead of using carfax, you can get as much or more information for free. The DMV website (California anyway) has a web lookup that will give you the smog history (when it was smogged and where) for any car. You can also call them ( I do this all the time) and tell them you are thinking about buying a used car and could they look it up for you. You give them the license plate number and they will tell you if there are any license penalties, parking tickets, salvage title or any leans on the car. They will also tell you how much it will cost to transfer the car. so, pay nothing and get more!

sticky52

Aug 8, 2001
You were mad to find out that your vehicle did not have any major problems that you should be aware of?

I was mad because they made me think I had 13 major issues with my car and made me fork over $20 to find out that they were just emission passing. They should disregard those records on a car, but then they wouldn't get $20 from suckers like me. I'm just trying to let AT'ers know what they can expect. Easygoing's idea sounds like the best.

sat4fun

May 29, 2002
Originally posted by: sticky52
You were mad to find out that your vehicle did not have any major problems that you should be aware of?
I was mad because they made me think I had 13 major issues with my car and made me fork over $20 to find out that they were just emission passing. They should disregard those records on a car, but then they wouldn't get $20 from suckers like me. I'm just trying to let AT'ers know what they can expect. Easygoing's idea sounds like the best.

One born every minute.

zodder

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2000
www.jpcompservices.com
I wouldn't hesitate to BM on their B&M office if I happened upon it.
LMAO!

They did the same thing to me, too, about 5 years ago. There was 9 things about it and half of them had to do with the tranfer of title to the dealership. Needless to say, I was pissed.

WarSong

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2002
You guys should have taken advantage of CarFax's 100% Money-back guarantee:

CARFAX ONLINE MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE
TERMS AND CONDITIONS

If the CARFAX report you order on this vehicle does not meet your expectations, CARFAX will honor the Carfax 100% Money-back Guarantee and refund your money online - every penny.

The following Terms and Conditions apply to this Guarantee:

Single CARFAX Report purchasers qualify if:

You have not, nor has any member of your household, received a refund from CARFAX within the last 12 months.
Your claim is made within 30 days of purchase

30 days Unlimited CARFAX Reports purchasers qualify if:

You have not, nor has any member of your household, received a refund from CARFAX within the last 12 months.
Your claim is made prior to running two (2) or more CARFAX Reports
Your claim is made within 30 days of purchase
To request a refund, visit the CARFAX Help Center.

alm4rr

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000

heh glad I don't have any emissions tests where I live
=P