Card Recommendations?

ech

Sep 11, 2002
Hey all!

I'm in the market for a new video card and I would like to hear some opinions on them. The following is my current setup:

Antec 300W
EPOX 4G3A+ MB
P4 2.4B(not overclocked right now)
256 MB Corsair PC2700
Plextor SCSI CD-RW
WD 80 GB EIDE
Maxtor 30 GB EIDE
Onboard sound and onboard video right now

I would like an AGP 4 card, but am concerned about the card being compatible with my board. It only allows for 1.5v AGP 4 cards (I think this is specific to the board, but not positive). I own a Hercules GTS Pro 64 MB card that apparently doesn't work with my board. I'm also concerned about the power supply. Is 300W going to be enough? Price doesn't matter too much, but something between $100 to $200 would be nice. I remember paying way too much for my Hercules card at the time and quite frankly, it wasn't that great of a card in my opinion. I don't do a whole lot of gaming, but when I do, I like to have a flawless performance and no skipping because of the video card. So, based on what I've pointed out, can anyone recommend anything? Thanks a ton for any information!

gwlam12

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2001
I don't know if it's compatible with your board, but I just got my Ti4200 today. I'm not yet "loving it" as some people say, but maybe that's because I haven't really tested it in any graphics hungry games. I tried in Warcraft 3 and compared it to my old Radeon 32MB DDR at 1280x1024 (thats the highest monitor will support) and didn't notice that big of a difference.

However, it's a good price ($150) and according to reviews and users, it's a good card.

As for power...I also have 300W PSU and my hardware is:

MSI K7T266-Pro
Athlon XP 1600+ @ 2100+
Maxtor 60GB 7200RPM
2 x 256MB Crucial PC2100 DDR Ram
12X DVD-Rom drive
16x 8x 32x CD-RW
Floppy
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
Modem
NIC'
System blower (slot fan)

And everything is running fine.

ech

Sep 11, 2002
Thanks for the reply!

I have read that the Ti4200's are good cards and it doesn't really matter what manufacturer either. If someone disagrees with that statement, please jump in and point me in the right direction. I've also been looking at the Ti4400's and the Ti4600's. Can anyone comment on whether or not those series matter on manufacturer, setting aside the obvious fact that a company may suck for tech support? Basically, I was curious as to whether or not one card outperforms another based on the manufacturer. Thanks!