Carbonite, Mozy, Amazon S3, CrashPlan, SkyDrive - which?

antef

Dec 29, 2010
There have a been a few threads over the years about this but not much in-depth discussion. I'd like to know what people use for off-site backup. For years I used JungleDisk with Amazon S3, but after I moved and renamed some files it perpetually kept re-uploading that directory, I got sick of it and considering the software is abandonware anyway at this point I am moving on.

I have 25 GB on SkyDrive so I'm tempted to just use it since it's free...I could put my stuff in the SkyDrive folder and configure my libraries so I can't tell the difference. My super secure stuff is in a TrueCrypt container, but I'm still not sure how I feel about the rest of my files resting unencrypted on MS's servers. Sometimes I think I'm being too paranoid, other times it sounds like not a great idea.

I'd like to keep using Amazon S3 since it's cheap but all the software to backup to it is not very mainstream (like CloudBerry)...I want something I can rely on for a long time.

That leaves providers like Carbonite, Mozy, CrashPlan, etc. Not sure which is best. I want an easy to use client that does not seem poorly coded or hard to work with. I also have concerns about needing the data one day and there being corruption or my key is wrong, etc. How do you protect your key other than saving it in a text file somewhere? That makes me prefer unencrypted options like SkyDrive since I can just browse the files on the web easily to verify they're there and okay.

What do you use?

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
I use crashplan. Works well for me, including when I had to do a massive restore after a HDD died. I pay for the plus/central service, but it works well free it you just want to backup to a friend or family member.

jjsbasmt

Jan 23, 2005
I know of a small family company in NJ that had their butt saved by Carbonite this past winter when their Customer Database was corrupted.

antef

Dec 29, 2010
You might want to read this regarding SkyDrive...

http://www.geek.com/articles/geek-p...-prove-you-cant-trust-cloud-storage-20120719/

I don't use anything atm, but I'd have a hard time trusting any company with my important data. If I were to do something, I'd use a local server for backup, and buy a remote server I ran myself with my own software.

Thanks for the link...I think I'm starting to rule out SkyDrive, for reasons like that, as well as other things, like it's kind of scary that if I or someone else logs into SkyDrive online and deletes things, they will actually get deleted on my PC too!

So with the other options, CrashPlan seems to have the best price. Good to hear of some success stories for both CrashPlan and Carbonite. I downloaded the CrashPlan trial to try it out. Which encryption form do you use? I guess the default isn't that great since CrashPlan employees could access your data. Should I choose the "private password" or custom key option? I'm not sure if custom key is any more secure than a custom password for the default key.

Madmanden81

Jul 6, 2011
I use Crashplan and so far I'm very satisfied. I had some trouble with slow uploads, but support was fast and helpful.

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
SkyDrive is amazing. I've been using it since it's beginning. Bit a single problem or concern. Maxed out my 25 gigs right away and since added another 75gigs. Amazing service.

BTW I use a Windows phone so the constant connection is a huge plus. My entire family is also wired this way along with most o my coworkers. Sharing constent for work is simple, fast and secure.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Which encryption form do you use? I guess the default isn't that great since CrashPlan employees could access your data. Should I choose the "private password" or custom key option? I'm not sure if custom key is any more secure than a custom password for the default key.

Custom key is more secure because it's a second layer of security on the data (password protected + key encrypted). So if someone gains access to your external drive, and knows your typical passwords, they still don't have your key.

Personally, I password protect/encrypt with a private pw separate from the account's.

http://support.crashplan.com/doku.php/articles/encryption_key

Last edited:

antef

Dec 29, 2010
I use Crashplan and so far I'm very satisfied. I had some trouble with slow uploads, but support was fast and helpful.

Good to hear, thank you. I am using their trial right now.

Custom key is more secure because it's a second layer of security on the data (password protected + key encrypted). So if someone gains access to your external drive, and knows your typical passwords, they still don't have your key.

Personally, I password protect/encrypt with a private pw separate from the account's.

http://support.crashplan.com/doku.php/articles/encryption_key

So you use the middle-ground option? Would you say if you use a strong, unique password with that option then it's realistically just as secure as providing a custom key? I'm also not using the local backup option, only online. I'll probably go this way as well if there aren't any major security drawbacks.

oynaz

Platinum Member
May 14, 2003
Another vote for Crashplan. Very easy to use. I have only had to restore 2 small files, but that worked flawlessly.

AFurryReptile

Golden Member
Nov 5, 2006
I use Crashplan as well. Been running for ~1.5 years without a hitch.

I used to use Mozy, but changed when their plans went up in price. The service was good though, and I restored large files on several occasions.

antef

Dec 29, 2010
Pretty much, yep.

Cool, thanks.

It's good to finally hear consensus around one of the choices for this. I'm using the CrashPlan trial now and the app seems good and simple, I will probably sign up. Thanks for all the input!

antef

Dec 29, 2010
I'd like to add for anyone else considering CrashPlan that I've been using it and recently reformatted my system. The process of switching over was completely painless - all you have to do is restore any files you want, then tell the client that you want the newly formatted computer to take over for ("adopt") the old backup plan, do a quick sync and everything's running as normal. No file metadata conflicts causing backups to unnecessarily run again or anything like that. Very impressed with their service, it's a no-brainer for only $25/year.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Not to threadjack, but what is a good one to share caloborative works with friends these days? I used to use Steekr, but it has since disappeared.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Not to threadjack, but what is a good one to share caloborative works with friends these days? I used to use Steekr, but it has since disappeared.

Sounds like you mean a file sharing service more than a backup service. Dropbox is pretty braindead simple in that regard. I suppose skydrive or google drive might offer similar sharing features, but I haven't looked in to it.