Car Won't Start but was fine last time I drove it--not the battery.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I hope you weren't running a little rich all that time, and I hope you don't have a messed up cat now...

The MIL light could be many things other than the gas cap...

Many bad things to let go for a year...

HarryLui

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2001
You need the below to start the engine

Compression
Fuel
Spark

Then. Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor
But you said you have a mechanic, you might as well take it to him.

Saturn S series uses timing chain, have you been keeping your oil level up?

jaydee

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000
I hope you weren't running a little rich all that time, and I hope you don't have a messed up cat now...

The MIL light could be many things other than the gas cap...

Many bad things to let go for a year...

If it comes on and stays on (which he said it did), then that's not the case. Only if the MIL was flashing, could it be a cat damaging DTC.

That being said, you really need to scan the car for codes and see what comes up, then come back here and post.

Last edited:

IcePickFreak

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2007
You can always check at the fuel rail on the engine if you are getting fuel, there will be a schrader valve on it.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
The cps is a fairly easy replacement. Plus the check is simple.

Oh, I see that someone posted richpin's vids above.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
It seems I was in error about the cps location on his car. I thought it would be like other GM engines and be behind the crank pulley. Either way, it is now at his mechanic, so we will soon know what was wrong.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
No, it will try to turn over--it just won't start up. (When I said "turn over" I guess I meant "fire up".) It seems like it wants to start but just won't for some reason.

We call this "cranks but doesn't start" ;) "turn over" in any context means there is an RPM other than 0.

No start conditions are the easiest to troubleshoot. Fuel pressure, injector signal, and spark. One of those things is missing.

If you have all of those things, then it's sensor issue. Temperature sensor, crank/cam position sensor, or airflow/oil pressure sensor. Some cars won't even start the fuel pump until there is good signal from all of the above.

Last edited:

Speedysteve

Aug 9, 2017
I have a sinking feeling the problem was solved within the past 7 years....at least I hope.

Let old topics sleep.

~DaTT

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.