Car Stolen **NOW RECOVERED!

slycat

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
So we parked the 97 acura integra ls 20 feet from our place last night and today its gone. Called the cops and they said it wasn't towed. They're sending a dispatch over to get a report down.

So, anything i should do for now? Will my insurance premium increase if i report my car stolen to my insurance company? Any other thing i should worry about or do now to reduce collateral damage?

this is in San Francisco btw, Sunset district(Taraval).

Car was recovered 15blocks from my place. Body still the same, engine block still the same. Subwoofer gone. Interior the same. Steering column ripped coz they had to get to ignition. Anyone have any idea how much thats gonna cost? I assume i need to bring to dealer since any replacement will need the dealer to rekey the ignition and stuff.

Does this also mean salvage title? :(

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
are you fully insured?

start documenting things inside that were lost

after police come, get police report # (or try to), then call the insurance company

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
Originally posted by: slycat
So we parked the 97 acura integra ls 20 feet from our place last night and today its gone. Called the cops and they said it wasn't towed. They're sending a dispatch over to get a report down.

So, anything i should do for now? Will my insurance premium increase if i report my car stolen to my insurance company? Any other thing i should worry about or do now to reduce collateral damage?

Unless you make lots of claims or left your doors unlocked, a good insurance company wouldnt raise your rates

slycat

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
..bare minimum coverage with Amica.

Doors definitely locked and alarm light even blinks red every second...also never had a claim in 3yrs..as long as i've been with them.

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Change your garage door code. If your address is in the car, the thief might pay you a visit.

slycat

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
well...car is parked so close to house so its not like they need directions if they really wanna come over to my place...however, no current address in car. Also, no garage door opener.

jme5343

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2003

Doors definitely locked and alarm light even blinks red every second...also never had a claim in 3yrs..as long as i've been with them.

You mean bare minimum full coverage or bare minimum like liability?

If liability, then no, they won't raise your rates, but they're also not going to pay for a different car. :(

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
Sorry about your car. Would you have heard the alarm had it gone off?

Also, any items in your car would be covered by renter's or homeowner's and not the car insurance, in many cases.

slycat

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
yes just liability..so yeah its toast regarding $$.

this is in San Francisco btw, Sunset district(Taraval).

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004

In other words, you don't have comprehensive? No point filing a claim...they'll just say "F U, you don't have comprehensive" and hang up.

FWIW comprehensive ends up being pretty cheap, as long as you don't add Collision as well.

My car got stolen before I had comprehensive. Luckily, they found it nine months later, but it was quite a blow.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
I dont think I'd ever drop comprehensive unless the car was on it's last leg and I had cash in the bank to buy another one.

compman25

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2006
Just call and cancel the policy. No use to continue paying for it if you don't have the car anymore.

kaizersose

Golden Member
May 15, 2003
Sorry for your loss and welcome to SF. The California Attorney General just had his car broken into while parked across the street from City Hall.

I lived in Pac Heights for three years, parking in a covered spot and almost made it out without incident. One month before I left, some jackoff decided to do a smash and grab, wasting an entire day as well as $400. I know people that had their car broken into twice in one year while parking a gated garage. I will never park my car outside of my own house' garage ever again.

Make sure your insurance company abides by your policy, have a beer and move on. Sleep well knowing whoever stole your car will undoubtedly be blesses with a most F'ed up future.

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
seriously, look on the list of the top 5 stolen cars in america especially california and acura integras are either number one or near number 1 and then to have just liability coverage to top that off...i mean damn not to put the blame on you but that is just some poor choices. Anyway, call the cops if you havent and hope for the best. We had another member who actually had his accura integra stolen about a month ago, maybe you should look for that thread.

slycat

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
cops came and report made...now wait and jack.

really need a ride so not sure how soon i should start looking/buying...just moved here 2weeks ago so yeah, nice present.

Apr 17, 2003
that blows man, I just moved to the sunset and my car was towed in a few hours. I thought it was stolen too. Now I'm thinking that I should forget about a car in the city...

slycat

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
CAR RECOVERED 15MIN before i was going to get a new car.

Praise God.
Car was recovered 15blocks from my place. Body still the same, engine block still the same. Subwoofer gone. Interior the same. Steering column ripped coz they had to get to ignition. Anyone have any idea how much thats gonna cost? I assume i need to bring to dealer since any replacement will need the dealer to rekey the ignition and stuff.

Does this also mean salvage title? :(

story:
Got call that the guy has the title in hand and we can go do a smog check. Onc epass i'll buy the car off him(corolla02). We drive around looking for a smog station...call comes in..."This is SFPD, we recovered your vehicle" Its 10blocks away i ask if the newer car seller can drive me over..he says Yes. We go, i tell him sorry cannot buy his car now. Drive my recovered car back home. Talk about timing.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
No salvage title will happen - that is only when the insurance company purchases your car due to the cost of repairs being more than 75% of the "book" value.

Without comprehensive insurance; you are on your own to fix the car.

If you have homeowners/renters insurance, that policy may cover the loss of personal items within the vehicle.

Your insurance company as a courtesy, may assist you with an estimate and recommendations of repair places.

We had a car that was broken into, steering column popped.
Repair shop handled everything for us.

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
I'm sure there are some shops out there that does that kind of work. Going to the dealer to get that work done is going to be insanely expensive. This is exactly why you need comprehensive insurance coverage.

I think the title will be salvaged now but in detail it will say "Theft recovery" or something like that.

slycat

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Common Courtesy
No salvage title will happen - that is only when the insurance company purchases your car due to the cost of repairs being more than 75% of the "book" value.

Without comprehensive insurance; you are on your own to fix the car.

If you have homeowners/renters insurance, that policy may cover the loss of personal items within the vehicle.

Your insurance company as a courtesy, may assist you with an estimate and recommendations of repair places.

We had a car that was broken into, steering column popped.
Repair shop handled everything for us.

how much did it cost U?

Yreka

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005

Its ok, the person who stole those items probably needed them more than you do. Be thankful you didnt hurt the poor victim in any way during the acquisition of their undocumented belongings!!

Just feel happy in knowing you helped someone :)

Don't forget to smile, and WELCOME to California :) :) :) :)