Car Squeals when wheel is turned

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMS_33

May 12, 2013
My 2009 Toyota Corolla with 7000 miles on it has started making a squealing noise when the wheel is turned slightly. It is very intermittent and seems to occur more frequently on longer trips or when there is more weight in the car. If I turn the wheel slightly to go around slight curves one way or the other it will sometimes make this noise but turning the wheel more fully does not seem to cause the noise. Applying the brakes also seems to cancel out the noise. The breaks do squeak a little sometimes when they are applied but it is an an entirely different noise. Any ideas?

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
09 with 7000 miles?

My suggestion is to sell the car and rent one on the 4 days of the year that you use it :p

LMS_33

May 12, 2013
We bought this car earlier this year used with 4000 miles on it. We usually put about 12,000 miles per year on our car, so we will be using this quite a bit. We bought it from a Toyota dealer. Because the car is 4 years old there is no manufacturer's warranty despite the low miles.

I took a look at the link in the first response. Thank you for that information. It is something to keep in mind. The steering feels fine and we have had no other problems with it other than this intermittent squeal....:confused:

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Lots of complaints about the electric power steering on those Corollas.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
It is the numbest, most zero feedback steering I have ever felt.

Yeah those complaints, but also complaints about it not responding properly to input...or veering randomly without any input.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Power steering fluid might be a tad low

I've even seen one bottle that specifically mentions fixing the "squeak", but I don't think it was any different than the other fluids. It was probably just marketing, but you can check that yourself if you want. I've had a similar problem and more fluid fixed the sound.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
Yeah those complaints, but also complaints about it not responding properly to input...or veering randomly without any input.

veering randomly? despite being EPS, there's still a physical link between the steering wheel and the rack no? Is there just that much play?

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
i would suspect the tires are just hardening up. you might want to get the alignment checked though. before you do anything, check your tire pressures.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
veering randomly? despite being EPS, there's still a physical link between the steering wheel and the rack no? Is there just that much play?

Yes, some complaints were of turning on it's own, not returning to center, and some not matching the wheel movement.

PhoKingGuy

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2007
I had a new corolla as a rental a few months back. I dunno if I'm just used to how my BMW steering is but that was the "loosest" steering i've ever felt. I had to constantly keep making adjustments to stay in a straight line.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
Yes, some complaints were of turning on it's own, not returning to center, and some not matching the wheel movement.

i wonder how much of this is actually problems with toyota, and how much is corolla drivers being idiots. :awe:

Status
Not open for further replies.