car smells like burning hair, wtf?

pac1085

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
When i pulled in my driveway today, my car smelled like burning hair. I cant pinpoint the location and it doesnt seem to be comming from the engine bay or the exhaust... the car is a 97 audi a4 1.8 quattro. Any ideas? I'm stumped... (and its 10 degrees out so I dont really wanna look at it in detail).

Encryptic

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Could be something electrical, but IANAM.

I'd at least pop the hood and make sure you didn't have a cat crawl under the hood and go to sleep on the engine or something.

pac1085

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
ok .. wtf.. its not my car I just found out --- my whole neighborhood smells like this. WTF?

pac1085

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
Somones house must be on fire a few miles away, or a warehouse, or something - its really nasty....and i dont see any smoke

Bootprint

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2002
Maybe someone is checking their antiques and had a little accident.

"Tortoise shell or plastic?

Objects made of tortoise shell are very scarce, and understandably quite valuable. A 19th-century tortoise-shell tea caddy, for instance, can bring anywhere from $1000 to $1500 at auction. Is your tortoise-shell object authentic? Here's how to find out...

The Test:
Remove a tiny piece of the material from an inconspicuous area. Using tweezers, hold the piece over a match. If the resulting smoke smells like burning hair, you've got the real tortoise shell. If it smells like burning plastic, you don't. "

link

Encryptic

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Bootprint
Maybe someone is check their antiques and had a little accident.

"Tortoise shell or plastic?

Objects made of tortoise shell are very scarce, and understandably quite valuable. A 19th-century tortoise-shell tea caddy, for instance, can bring anywhere from $1000 to $1500 at auction. Is your tortoise-shell object authentic? Here's how to find out...

The Test:
Remove a tiny piece of the material from an inconspicuous area. Using tweezers, hold the piece over a match. If the resulting smoke smells like burning hair, you've got the real tortoise shell. If it smells like burning plastic, you don't. "

link

Heh....I have to give you points for creativity on that one.