Car (rental) got broken into

tontod

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I got back home at 11:30 last night, got to my car this morning to get to work, noticed the drivers side window was broken, shards of glass inside the car. Noticed my GPS was gone. :|

Fortunately it was a rental, a Chevy Aveo, cheap car. Also, looks like the GPS was all the thief was after, fortunately I didnt have anything else in the car. Filed a police report, got the insurance to claim the damage, since I had full coverage, I'm all set. Man, if it was my Audi I'd be so ticked off more than I am now. Got another car from Enterprise, got a Mazda 6.

May 31, 2001
Stealing GPS units doesn't seem incredibly bright, especially after the cops tracked down those people that stole a bunch thinking they were cellphones. :laugh:

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I'm assuming it's one of the Magellan nav units from a place like Hertz?

If so, couldn't the rental company actually track that back through and find the location once it's brought back online?

Not that it helps your situation, but I guess I don't see the logic in stealing something that could potentially give up your location.

tontod

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: vi_edit
I'm assuming it's one of the Magellan nav units from a place like Hertz?

If so, couldn't the rental company actually track that back through and find the location once it's brought back online?

Not that it helps your situation, but I guess I don't see the logic in stealing something that could potentially give up your location.

Nope, it was mine, Garmin C330. Any way to track it if they turn it on?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I don't know how consumer GPS units work and if there's a readily available way for the buyer to track it back.

Most commercial units are essentially designed to "phone home" for purpose of the mother ship to be able to track where their fleet is.

tontod

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
For a new one I'm looking at the Nuvi 660, looks really good reading the reviews. I wonder if in addition to US maps I can load maps of Europe? It has a currency converter, dont see much use of that if its only good in the US.