car question

MajesticMoose

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
Is it bad to coast along in a car with your foot pressed down on the clutch? I don't do this, sadly i lack the opportunity(stupid automatic), but i've heard several conflicting answer and wondered if anyone could offer evidence either way.

Thanks,
Moose

Supradude

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2000
yes, it is bad to "ride the clutch" reason being if you "ride" the clutch, your effectively rubbing your gear against the clutch pad constantly, so it wears out the clutch pads faster...

MajesticMoose

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
No actually it isn't supradude. I'm talking about when the engine is completely separated from the engine, not partially. And besides there aren't any gears to be in contact. it would be wearing out the clutch plate.

Atom: that's what I suspect but i was looking for a more specific answer.

Moose

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I suppose if you had the clutch pedal all the way depressed it would not cause wear on it in that state, but lets say you're doing that going up and down hills between 5th gear (going up) and clutch in going down (for instance). Unlike staying in 5th as far as the clutch is concerned when you engage it at the bottom of a hill and dis-engage at the top it is the same as being shifted so that will cause wear on it in that state. I do also recall reading in a driving manual not to push clutch pedal when coasting down a hill...just leave it in 5th or whatever gear and no gas if you want.

atom

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 1999
I don't have a full grasp of exactly how it works, but from my small amount of knowledge when the clutch is fully disengaged the clutch disk and plate are locked, meaning very little rubbing between them. When the clutch is engaged, even partially, you get slippage, thus friction between them, which causes wear.

Like I said, I'm no expert though.

MajesticMoose

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
that's right atom but i was talking about the pedal being pressed all the way. I kknow its bad to push it in partially.

Skoorb: alternatively you could shift into neutral, which is what i do when i actually have the pleasure of driving a manual.

Moose

hominid skull

Nov 13, 1999
It does put more wear on the clutch and on the idler bearing, the bearing that holds the clutch open when you depress clutch peddle down.

The clutch plate itself is directly connected to the gearbox through a shaft, the clutch housing is directly connected to the engine, via the flywheel. When you engange the clutch, the idler bearing puts pressure on the clutch housing and releaves the pressure of the clutch plate. The clutch plate is then allowed to spin relatively freely inside the clutch housing, although generally it will be rubbing some when on the clutch housing or flywheel. It only beomes a factor when you hold the clutch at the grabbing point or just before, when the clutch is taking some friction from the clutch housing/ flywheel assembly..

The clutch is very hard wearing though.

Hope this helps.

ToBeMe

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2000
If you've got the pedal fully depressed, it will totally disengage the clutch, thus, no wear, but, it's still not a "smart" thing to do because if the clutch is out of adjustment, it will still be partially engaged!

MajesticMoose

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
Thanks hominid skull. Is the idler bearing the same as the throw-out bearing, or are they different? Iknow generally how a clutch works ( see it here) but i'm not sure on some of the specifics yet.

Moose

Jan 18, 2001
Another reason it is not good, is because if you need to suddenly accelerate and move to avoid something(like an out of control car coming right at you) it dosn't do much good to have the clutch pushed in. Having the clutch engaged until you stop is safest.

What's up ToBeMe!

MajesticMoose

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
ScienceFiction: IMO it would actually save time because if you need to accelerate rapidly in a manual then you will need to downshift, especially in a situation where you are trying to save gas. if you didn't need to downshift then you would probly be running the engine fairly fast, definetly faster than I would want to cruise along at. Besides i would be more likely to slam on the brakes or swerve because i'd probly be going to fast already.

Moose

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
The throw-out or release bearing is rolling every time the clutch pedal is pushed in. If the clutch is completely disengaged, then there is no wear on the clutch disk itself, only the bearing and the fingers on the pressure plate.
Under these exact circumstances, rolling is no diffenent than sitting still.

BTW, I've never understood why some people insist on constantly downshifting through every gear as they slow down. I've asked a million times and it's always the same answer "I'm saving wear on my brakes."
That makes no sense. What's cheaper, brakes, or a clutch and trans?