Car knocking please help

DeadGene

Apr 21, 2021
Hello! I have a honda accord 7 gen. 2,2 i-ctdi and i recently started experiencing some inconsistent knocking noise from engine bay. It happens randomly. Sometimes nothing and sometimes out of nowhere it appears. Sometimes when i restart the engine doesn’t I am really scared that it can be something serious. I had a timing chain job done recently so I can’t afford some big repair. I can attach video when you can hear the knocking.
Thank you for every reply!!!

edit!:
THANKS TO EVERYONE!!! At the end it was loose bottom engine

video where you can here the sound:

Last edited:

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
How many miles? What is the oil level? Sound like a hard knock like a bearing. Why was the timing chain replaced?

DeadGene

Apr 21, 2021
How many miles? What is the oil level? Sound like a hard knock like a bearing. Why was the timing chain replaced?
220 000km, oil is full replaced with filters a month ago. The timing chain was stretched and the tensioner worn

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
It's been years, but I changed out the timing chain on my wife's Civic before we sold it. I remember having to remove the driver-side wheel and wheel well shroud to gain access to everything. The job wasn't all that bad, but it required a special Honda wrench that only dealerships sell to remove the camshaft pulley. It also took a really long bar and extension to get enough leverage to break it. Of course I did the job on a Sunday, but a guy at Advance Autoparts let me borrow his and I tossed him $40 for his trouble of going home to get it.

I would be worried that sprockets aren't lined up correctly. It could be the tensioner, but if you weren't having that problem before, I would verify that the timing chain was installed correctly. There are lots of lines you can use as guides when setting it up....if the timing is off just a little, you may hear the valve timing off just a tad (if the cam is off). It may not cause massive damage if it's off a little bit, aside from extra carbon deposits.

This video shows all the setup and what it looks like.

DeadGene

Apr 21, 2021
It's been years, but I changed out the timing chain on my wife's Civic before we sold it. I remember having to remove the driver-side wheel and wheel well shroud to gain access to everything. The job wasn't all that bad, but it required a special Honda wrench that only dealerships sell to remove the camshaft pulley. It also took a really long bar and extension to get enough leverage to break it. Of course I did the job on a Sunday, but a guy at Advance Autoparts let me borrow his and I tossed him $40 for his trouble of going home to get it.

I would be worried that sprockets aren't lined up correctly. It could be the tensioner, but if you weren't having that problem before, I would verify that the timing chain was installed correctly. There are lots of lines you can use as guides when setting it up....if the timing is off just a little, you may hear the valve timing off just a tad (if the cam is off). It may not cause massive damage if it's off a little bit, aside from extra carbon deposits.

This video shows all the setup and what it looks like.

thanks a lot for your advice. It completely stopped knocking out of nowhere. It is not doing it for a week now i dont know what was the problem but it is gone now without any differences in driving. Thanks again and have a great day

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
thanks a lot for your advice. It completely stopped knocking out of nowhere. It is not doing it for a week now i dont know what was the problem but it is gone now without any differences in driving. Thanks again and have a great day

If the knocking stopped out of no where, I'd actually be just as concerned.
I'd recommend draining the oil, if not dropping the pan and checking for debris.

DeadGene

Apr 21, 2021
If the knocking stopped out of no where, I'd actually be just as concerned.
I'd recommend draining the oil, if not dropping the pan and checking for debris.
the noise was inconsistent and happening once every 1 or 2 days (while i am driving around 40 km a day) and now it stopped i dont have a clue what it is. Ill check the oil thanks for the advice

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I love it when the car fixes itself! saves me from having to track down the tape to cover up my CEL.