Car Insurance

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
Originally posted by: sickdiscobiscuit
Is it true, that if you have a driver's license you have to have insurance, even if you don't own a car?

How can you have insurance on a car you don't own?

Coquito

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2003
You pay a few bucks for them to take your picture & mail you a card. Please read the manual before you go down there.

Mar 1, 2004
What I'm asking essentially is :

I'm moving out into an apartment, rent is high, and I want to save money and stop driving my car.
So, since I have a New York State Drivers License, am I "binded" to pay auto insurance because I posses this drivers license?

Can I notify the insurance company that I no longer wish to continue driving my vehicle then after that point, not have to
pay auto insurance anymore ?

Thanks in advance +

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
you need to sell your car
if you own a car and you keep it in NY, then you need to keep liability ins. on it so that you can keep it registered

Legendary

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2002
Originally posted by: FoBoT
you need to sell your car
if you own a car and you keep it in NY, then you need to keep liability ins. on it so that you can keep it registered

Zee

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 1999
if you want to stop driving your car, give up your plates, cancel your registration(possibly get a prorated refund) and cancel your insurance.

oboeguy

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
Originally posted by: Zee
if you want to stop driving your car, give up your plates, cancel your registration(possibly get a prorated refund) and cancel your insurance.

And get a bicycle. :)

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

I'm moving out into an apartment, rent is high, and I want to save money and stop driving my car.
So, since I have a New York State Drivers License, am I "binded" to pay auto insurance because I posses this drivers license?

Can I notify the insurance company that I no longer wish to continue driving my vehicle then after that point, not have to

Thanks in advance +

Do you still own the car? Do you owe any money on it? If so, the lender will probably require that you keep it insured but you can change it to a non-operating status. Of course, you can't drive it if you do that.

If you don't own a car then no, you don't have to have auto insurance.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: oboeguy

:thumbsup:;)

My trusty LeMond is sitting here by my desk as I type this.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

What he said. When you drop insurance, you're supposed to return the plates to the DMV. I had to do this when I took my old Talon off the insurance policy but I still owned it... although I admit that I never took the plates off or returned them :p. But I didn't actually drive the car or anything ( kinda can't without a transmission in it... unless I find a big hill... a very big hill! Although I'd only have rear brakes... interesting :laugh: ).

oboeguy

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Originally posted by: oboeguy

:thumbsup:;)

My trusty LeMond is sitting here by my desk as I type this.

LOL I rode my LeMond into work today too. Go figure!

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
If you get rid of your car, you do not need insurance in NY.

If you keep the car, THEN, if you have it parked on a public road, you need to have it registered (and plates on it.) IF you cancel your insurance, you need to immediately turn in the plates. (Thus, if it's parked on a public road, expect a ticket.) IF you cancel your insurance, or your insurance lapses, then, you need to turn in your plates. Failure to have insurance on a car in NY while you haven't turned in the plates is a $5 per day fine (or is it $10 now? or more than that?... you can look it up on the state's DMV site.)

sniperruff

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002

correct. you do not need to sell your car. however, you cannot park it on the street though.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000

Thanks in advance +
You're asking a different question than you think you are.

You are NOT required to be insured just because you have a license.

HOWEVER you ARE required to have insurance on ALL vehicles currently registered under your name. If your car has current license plates, you are legally required to carry insurance on it. You can cancel your registration (well, wait for it to expire and simply not renew it), but if you do that, then you are not allowed to street-park the vehicle (it would need to have a garage space, and even then many garages require current registration) and you would not be able to drive the car even to move it in case of an emergency.

If you have a car, you need to have it insured.

ZV