Car Insurance Question

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
I am thinking about buying a policy from Progressive insurance online. Without accidents, my total for full coverage insurance per month is $109. My coverage with two not at fault accidents is $140 per month.
Why do my not at fault accidents affect the cost of my insurance?
Should I just try to get the policy without listing any accidents, because I was not at fault in either of them, yet I would have to pay for someone elses mistakes.

I was rear ended by some woman about 3 years ago, may'be a bit less. And I was backed into by some woman about a year ago. A police report was filed on the first accident, but on the second accident, they just had their insurance company pay me the amount to fix the car.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Because it's too time consuming to look at it on a case by case basis. They lump all the people who have been in a non-fault accident and look at the statistics on how likely the individuals in that group are to be in another accident. Apparently someone who has been in an accident (caused by someone else) is more likely to be involved in future accidents than someone who hasn't been involved in an accident. They're either paying actuaries big money to figure these things out or else they're just making up figures because they can get away with charging some people more money.

Or, perhaps it's a combination of both.

Anyway, some people are better at avoiding accidents than others.... that's why they have defensive driving classes. It sounds like in at least the first situation, you were unable to avoid the accident - there was nothing you could do. But, unfortunately, you're lumped in with the group of people who have been on the receiving end of someone else's mistake.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Ok, insurance companies do everything on a probability basis. They hire actuaries and pay them well to figure out, what is the porbablity that so and so will get into an accident. The way your new insurance company sees it is that you got into an accident, plain and simple. To them, it means that you live somewhere where there are lots of accident prone drivers, therefore you are at more risk of being in an accident.

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Well even with the second accident, there is really nothing I could have done. I was sitting at a gas station, getting gas, and she just backed up into the front of my car in her big SUV. I kept thinking to myself, there is no way she doesn't see my bright red firebird sitting right here...BAM!

Either way, only one was reported to police, the other never was. Will it be on my driving record?

iconn

Jan 16, 2000
ANother Question!!! Say you got into at fault accident 3 years ago....You had been paying up the gazoo as a result.. Does your record clear and how soon do you get a break? Fact: I'm in my 30s, Male, drives 25 total miles a day

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
IMHO after 3 years or whatever of no other incidents your rates should probably go back down.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Yeah, it is fvcking BS!

<---- Hit twice in the last 6 months(once while parked) and my rates rose the first time. Wondering if they will rise a second. :|

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
They may or may not show up if they were to check. Try saying none, in the worst case it goes up if they find out otherwise. They told me my rate would be higher since I put that I had a previous claim where someone elses insurance paid because they opened their door into my car. I asked the person if they could just put I never had a claim, he said sure, and it never showed up.