Car Insurance in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

roguerower

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2004
I recently moved to Buffalo, NY and plan on making regular trips into Canada to skydive and fly in the new Toronto tunnel. I have USAA car insurance but when I asked the agent on the phone he was pretty vague about the rules and whether or not I'd be covered in Canadia. Does anyone have any insight into this or could maybe point me in the right direction? Is there a supplemental insurance I could purchase to cover my trips into Canadia?

roguerower

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2004
I called USAA back. According to them, so long as I've got a valid insurance card and the main letter from USAA I'm good to go.

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
I recently moved to Buffalo, NY and plan on making regular trips into Canada to skydive and fly in the new Toronto tunnel. I have USAA car insurance but when I asked the agent on the phone he was pretty vague about the rules and whether or not I'd be covered in Canadia. Does anyone have any insight into this or could maybe point me in the right direction? Is there a supplemental insurance I could purchase to cover my trips into Canadia?

What made you think of this? I would have just assumed that car insurance would be valid anywhere. I have never heard otherwise anyways.

roguerower

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2004
What made you think of this? I would have just assumed that car insurance would be valid anywhere. I have never heard otherwise anyways.

I wanted to dot my i's and cross my t's just in case.

I'm gonna be passing through your neck of the woods on my way up to Toronto.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
You'll need to call your insurer and make sure you have the non-owned automobile/rental rider on your policy. Not everybody has this. If you do have it, it should apply to international rentals, but best to just double check.

When you go rent the car, you'll need to provide the rental company with proof of coverage. The insurance slip from your glove box isn't enough. They need to see a copy of the policy or a letter from your insurance that shows you have this coverage.

If it's just for the short term though, might as well just get the rental company's own coverage. It's usually $20 a day but it's zero deductible if something happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.