Car got hit, body shop screwed up, need input

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
my car got hit in a parking lot on the driver side door, and after the body shop "repaired", the door panel flexes now. The other side does not. There are two side impact beams in the door and I'm almost certain that the body shop didn't properly straighten the beams in the door which is why the body panel flexes now. I took it back to the shop and they said they'll fix it, but I'm not sure I have confidence they can do it right if they didn't get it in the first place. Suggestions?

JasonSix78

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2005
You probably are right about them not straightning the impact beam in the door. I worked in a Body Shop for 6 years and we would usually replace the door if it was hit hard enough to mess up that impact beam. Did they reskin your door? If so, after the the old, damaged skin, was removed that gives easy access to pulling the beam back out with a pulling post or frame machine. How bad was your car hit?

-Jason

Edit: After reading your post again, it sounds like they popped the dent out and bondo'd it up. If you know how to, you can remove your door panel and see for yourself what exactly they did.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: JasonSix78
You probably are right about them not straightning the impact beam in the door. I worked in a Body Shop for 6 years and we would usually replace the door if it was hit hard enough to mess up that impact beam. Did they reskin your door? If so, after the the old, damaged skin, was removed that gives easy access to pulling the beam back out with a pulling post or frame machine. How bad was your car hit?

-Jason

No, they said they sanded the door down, welded the panel to pull it out and repainted it. The panel still doesn't look as straight as it was before, I can still see the creases in the reflections, so I should probably complain about that as well.

The hit was pretty minor, half the panel was shifted in a little less than say 1 cm. It's just that the impact beam supports the panel that this even in an issue.

Thanks for the useful comments.

JasonSix78

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2005
I know what you're saying, after you use the studs to pop the dent out you have to use filler to smooth it out (Bondo, etc.) Sounds like they didn't spend enough time on it, usual ram-jam-get-it-out-the-door shop philosophy. I hope they'll fix it right the next time.

-Jason

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: JasonSix78
I know what you're saying, after you use the studs to pop the dent out you have to use filler to smooth it out (Bondo, etc.) Sounds like they didn't spend enough time on it, usual ram-jam-get-it-out-the-door shop philosophy. I hope they'll fix it right the next time.

-Jason

Thanks, yeah i hope they fix it right next time too :

DaWhim

Lifer
Feb 3, 2003
did you pay with a cc? you can always file chargeback. it is there for your 100% satisfaction.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: DaWhim
did you pay with a cc? you can always file chargeback. it is there for your 100% satisfaction.

No, the other guy's insurance is paying for it.

Unfortunately, they make you sign a form that says I'm responsible for paying for the car and they can sue me if I don't to pick it up.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
updated kind of. Went back two more times. God damn what a PITA. They refinished the door, when I got it back, the sheet metal was straighter, but the finish had orange peel. Took it back to bitch, they repolished the door.

It's still not factory though, the panel is still a touch wavy and the side molding has small, gaps of a couple mm in two spots. I give up though, I don't have any more time, patience and energy to argue about it.

In retrospect, where I really screwed up was I should have just bought another door at a junkyard for $800, considering the insurance check was $700.

May 13, 2005
Originally posted by: OS
updated kind of. Went back two more times. God damn what a PITA. They refinished the door, when I got it back, the sheet metal was straighter, but the finish had orange peel. Took it back to bitch, they repolished the door.

It's still not factory though, the panel is still a touch wavy and the side molding has small, gaps of a couple mm in two spots. I give up though, I don't have any more time, patience and energy to argue about it.

In retrospect, where I really screwed up was I should have just bought another door at a junkyard for $800, considering the insurance check was $700.

what car? and paint is def not cheap