Car Engine Trouble...

chiwawa626

Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
My dad took his 1992 Lexus Ls400 for an oil change today. The mechanic told him that the oil was dark, and that it seems like he waited too long and that the engine got messed up inside he mite have to have it rebuilt in 6months or so when the car breaks down. He said that its not a good idea to put new oil in and he put the old stuff back in and closed it up....Is he telling us the truth or whats goin on, also the oil change was a free one that he was promised after we spent lots of money there on another car, could that be why heh? So my dad thinks that we should just sell the car now and then buy something newer? what do you guys think?

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Your joking right?

Just because the oil is dark does not mean the motor is bad. Now if it was milky then you may have a bad head gasket, or intake, etc...

Go somewhere else and get the oil changed and keep driving if it is not milky.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: chiwawa626
My dad took his 1992 Lexus Ls400 for an oil change today. The mechanic told him that the oil was dark, and that it seems like he waited too long and that the engine got messed up inside he mite have to have it rebuilt in 6months or so when the car breaks down. He said that its not a good idea to put new oil in and he put the old stuff back in and closed it up....Is he telling us the truth or whats goin on, also the oil change was a free one that he was promised after we spent lots of money there on another car, could that be why heh? So my dad thinks that we should just sell the car now and then buy something newer? what do you guys think?

OMG! WTF?

I feel sorry for people.

Take your car to a different oil change place, have them change the oil, and be on your way.

C'DaleRider

Jan 13, 2000
Oil becomes dark as it is used in an engine due to dirt, combustion byproducts, acids, etc. become suspended in the oil. I suggest you find a new mechanic because he's completely out to lunch.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Unless there were metal flakes in the oil, then there's not much he can tell just by the oil being dark. Besides, old oil is supposed to be dark.

ZV

TheBloodguard

Nov 5, 2002
How long in miles since the last oil change? There must be another reason why he said that because it is normal for engine oil to get darker. On a side note I do remember doing an oil change when I was younger on a car where the oil came out almost like molasses. I'm not sure if the guy put some sort of oil stop leak in it or it was years since it had been changed. I'm not sure how long that car lasted!

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: notfred
Tell your dad to sell the car, your family is not inteligent enough to own a Lexus.
Bwahahaha! I almost spit beer all over my monitor.
:)

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
easy fix...if the oil is dark...put something in there to lighten it up...like pain thinner....then take it to a different mechanic and have him do it...dont forget to get the muffler bearing checked since the car is more than ten years old now

C'DaleRider

Jan 13, 2000
On second thought, I'd almost call BS on this. When a shop drains oil, they use a catch drum which,essentially, has a large funnel attached to the top that extends upward. The catch drum holds gallons of oil, so if the mechanic put your "old" oil back in, he put whatever was in the drum, which could have been anything. If this is true, then you are assured you will need an engine rebuild shortly as the your "old oil" was a mixture of all the crap inside that was drained today, up to yours being drained.

If true, you need to go somewhere NOW and have it changed.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: C'DaleRider
On second thought, I'd almost call BS on this. When a shop drains oil, they use a catch drum which,essentially, has a large funnel attached to the top that extends upward. The catch drum holds gallons of oil, so if the mechanic put your "old" oil back in, he put whatever was in the drum, which could have been anything. If this is true, then you are assured you will need an engine rebuild shortly as the your "old oil" was a mixture of all the crap inside that was drained today, up to yours being drained.

Especially true if some knucklehead drained brake fluid or ATF into the container.

C'DaleRider

Jan 13, 2000
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
Originally posted by: C'DaleRider

Especially true if some knucklehead drained brake fluid or ATF into the container.

Exactly my point. Another mech may not "know" the used stuff inside was going to be put back into a running engine.........I've seen all sorts of stuff poured into them. That nasty stuff is only supposed to go to be recycled or burned.

If this is true, he may have a new engine coming to him, gratis of the incompetance of that dumb mech.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
As was stated, this is basicly impossible. Or the tech is so stupid he can not tie his own shoes.

chiwawa626

Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
I dont know if there is more then one oil thing but anyways this is the Transmition we are talking about i think...My dad told me again and he says teh mechanic said that the parts inside the engine are worn because of the old oil or something and that by putting new oil in it will mess up the parts more? Ehhh...anyways the car has 150,000 miles on it and i wouldnt mind getting rid of it anyways. Ill definatly tell my dad to get a second/third opinion on it.

Also, some of you are assholes and need to shut the fvck up.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: chiwawa626
I dont know if there is more then one oil thing but anyways this is the Transmition we are talking about i think...My dad told me again and he says teh mechanic said that the parts inside the engine are worn because of the old oil or something and that by putting new oil in it will mess up the parts more? Ehhh...anyways the car has 150,000 miles on it and i wouldnt mind getting rid of it anyways. Ill definatly tell my dad to get a second/third opinion on it.

Also, some of you are assholes and need to shut the fvck up.
Transmission fluid dark? OK, that's not good. ATF is generally a 20,000-30,000 mile drain interval. I've known really obsessive people to drain every 12,000 and power flush every 36,000.

We all thought you were talking about engine oil (automatic transmissions do not use oil, they use ATF which is a form of hydraulic fluid). In that case, it is conceiveable (though rare) that putting in new oil would affect the viscosity of the ATF so much that the worn parts wouldn't work right. I will warn you though that I'm just about as far from an expert on automatics as a person can get.

ZV