Car Company Gets U.S. Loan, Builds Cars In Finland

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
Good. Just as long as they're allowed to bring profits back the US....oh wait, an unfavorable tax climate prevents that

SilthDraeth

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2003
From the article.

"There was no contract manufacturer in the U.S. that could actually produce our vehicle," the car company's founder and namesake told ABC News. "They don't exist here."

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
I find it hard to believe that FINLAND is capable of producing this but the US isn't. Also extremely coincidental I'm sure that the founder of the company is from Denmark and just happened to find manufacturing next door.

Broheim

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2011
I find it hard to believe that FINLAND is capable of producing this but the US isn't. Also extremely coincidental I'm sure that the founder of the company is from Denmark and just happened to find manufacturing next door.

Because the US has such a solid history of superior quality and technologically advanced vehicles. It's not like you still build cars with live rear axles.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Because the US has such a solid history of superior quality and technologically advanced vehicles. It's not like you still build cars with live rear axles.
Well, obviously its car manufacutring history pales in comparison to the great Swedish automotive lines :rolleyes:

Broheim

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2011
Well, obviously its car manufacutring history pales in comparison to the great Swedish automotive lines :rolleyes:

volvo
saab
koenigsegg
(Scania (they only make commercial trucks))

that's the most succesful swedish manufactorers that are still producing cars.
all highquality and/or innovative cars.

Last edited:

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
quantity != quality

I understand the Ford F-150 lightning is the best selling truck in America, but when Jeremy Clarckson drove it he called it the worst car he's ever driven.

What?

1993-95 11,563 total sold
1999-04 28,124 total sold

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
quantity != quality

I understand the Ford F-150 lightning is the best selling truck in America, but when Jeremy Clarckson drove it he called it the worst car he's ever driven.
This argument is ridiculous. Shame on me for engaging. Parting shot: Saab is all but dead and Volvo is owned by a Chinese company.

Broheim

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2011
This argument is ridiculous. Shame on me for engaging. Parting shot: Saab is all but dead and Volvo is owned by a Chinese company.

sigh

I fail to see why any of this is relevant on any level.

parting shot: you said Finland is right next door to Denmark, it's not, way to be an American stereotype. want a flag you can wave?

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
sigh

I fail to see why any of this is relevant on any level.

parting shot: you said Finland is right next door to Denmark, it's not, way to be an American stereotype. want a flag you can wave?
Oops meant sweden

Nov 29, 2006
I guess the gov figured if the corporate "job creators" can create jobs overseas so can the gov :p I mean it totally helps out the US why not lol

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
Did any of you read the article? They have bought a plant in Delaware that they plan for future use. The Finland is a short term solution.

While we're on it, can you name one contract automotive facility in the US that is up to the standards of Valmat Automotive...the same company that currently puts together the Porsche Cayman/Boxster for Porsche?

This plan has been in place for a while and was well known. They have not been wavering in their desire to bring production to Delaware, it is just a matter of time/funding.

I'm not some huge proponent of Fisker. Being an automotive startup is difficult and I wish them the best of luck (as I do to Tesla as well) in their endeavors...especially if it will lead to more jobs here in the states down the road.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
The car just doesn't make any sense at all to me, though. I wouldn't have loaned them money to build a car with those specs and price, pretty or not.