• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

car brake pads: is it still made of asbestos?

miri

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2003
3,679
0
76
Yes, some brakepads still have asbestos. Asbestos was banned from manufacture in the USA but we still import goods that contain asbestos.
 

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
29,586
11
76
No, sometime in the last 20 years we stopped making everything out of asbestos. I still have a years suppy of asbestos surgical masks left though. :thumbsup:
 

miri

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2003
3,679
0
76
Originally posted by: Nebor
No, sometime in the last 20 years we stopped making everything out of asbestos. I still have a years suppy of asbestos surgical masks left though. :thumbsup:
We stopped making it, but we didnt stop importing it.
 

miri

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2003
3,679
0
76
Insidious and deadly, asbestos has worked its way through the cracks of the consumer protection system for 20 years.

The result? Today, asbestos is lodged deep in the tissue of American commerce, and almost no one is paying attention.

Not consumers.

Not consumer watchdogs.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission has not banned most products containing asbestos, even though health experts expect the carcinogen to claim another 250,000 lives in the United States during the next several decades.

Consumer watchdog groups Public Citizen and the Consumer Federation of America were both involved in early battles to get asbestos off the market. Now, asbestos is not even on their list of priorities.

In fact, most people who are charged with protecting consumer safety say asbestos is "no longer a problem" because of the faulty assumption that the product has long been banned and that all manufacturers have stopped using it.

But it isn't banned.

The CPSC abandoned its attempts to ban asbestos products in 1979, passing the responsibility to the EPA. In 1989, the EPA attempted a ban of its own, but in 1991, the U.S. 5th Circuit Court of Appeals overturned it.

Today, it is legal to sell asbestos products ranging from brake pads to ceiling tiles in the United States. Imports of asbestos-containing products are on the rise.



http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/uncivilaction/cons14.shtml

The article is 5 years old but not much has changed since then regarding asbestos.
 

jamesave

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2000
1,610
0
71
Originally posted by: miri

We stopped making it, but we didnt stop importing it.
asbestos products? Or just brake pads?

Doh. 1 minute too late, but thanks for the info!
 

ThisIsMatt

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
11,820
1
0
asbestos isn't really THAT serious of an issue, unless you're going around snorting the brake dust off of peoples' wheels. I'd be more worried about what toxins are on/in the food you eat.
 

miri

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2003
3,679
0
76
Senator Patty Murray on Asbestos Legislation April 21, 2004,

This process has been an education for me because, like many Americans I thought asbestos had been banned a long time ago. In 1989, the EPA did try to ban asbestos, but that effort was overturned in a lawsuit from the asbestos industry. Ten years later in 1999, reporter Andrew Schneider and the Seattle Post-Intelligencer published articles about a disturbing trend in the small mining town of Libby, Montana. Residents there are suffering from extraordinarily high rates of asbestos related disease.

I learned that asbestos is still found today in over 3,000 common products in the US, including baby powder, cosmetics, brake pads, pipes, hair dryers, ceiling tiles and vinyl flooring. It is still legal in 2004 to construct buildings with asbestos cement shingles and to treat them with asbestos roof coatings. It is still legal to construct new water systems using asbestos cement pipes imported from other countries. It is still legal today for cars and trucks to be made and serviced with asbestos brake pads and linings.
 

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
12,427
10
81
Originally posted by: ThisIsMatt
asbestos isn't really THAT serious of an issue, unless you're going around snorting the brake dust off of peoples' wheels. I'd be more worried about what toxins are on/in the food you eat.
Correct
 

miri

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2003
3,679
0
76
Originally posted by: ThisIsMatt
asbestos isn't really THAT serious of an issue, unless you're going around snorting the brake dust off of peoples' wheels. I'd be more worried about what toxins are on/in the food you eat.
It is serious when you consider the amount of renovation work being done on our older buildings. Also imagine how much asbestos will be in the air repairing all the hurricane damaged buildings.
 

ThisIsMatt

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
11,820
1
0
Originally posted by: miri
Senator Patty Murray on Asbestos Legislation April 21, 2004,

This process has been an education for me because, like many Americans I thought asbestos had been banned a long time ago. In 1989, the EPA did try to ban asbestos, but that effort was overturned in a lawsuit from the asbestos industry. Ten years later in 1999, reporter Andrew Schneider and the Seattle Post-Intelligencer published articles about a disturbing trend in the small mining town of Libby, Montana. Residents there are suffering from extraordinarily high rates of asbestos related disease.

I learned that asbestos is still found today in over 3,000 common products in the US, including baby powder, cosmetics, brake pads, pipes, hair dryers, ceiling tiles and vinyl flooring. It is still legal in 2004 to construct buildings with asbestos cement shingles and to treat them with asbestos roof coatings. It is still legal to construct new water systems using asbestos cement pipes imported from other countries. It is still legal today for cars and trucks to be made and serviced with asbestos brake pads and linings.
But none of those really pose a hazard since asbestos is only a problem when dust is inhaled in relatively large amounts/over a long period of time. Baby powder though? Weird...

 

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
19,446
0
0
Generally no. Are there some 3rd world brake pads out there not used in the USA...sure. Will you get them at your local auto parts store...no.

Regardless, even if you did, it would be almost impossible to do any harm to yourself from them.

miri...alarmist much?
 

miri

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2003
3,679
0
76
If you do a air quality check of any area with a lot of vehicle traffic, the air quality tests will show a small amount of asbestos in the air due to brakes. But again it is a small amount and there is still no scientific study that determines how much asbestos it takes to do serious damage.
 

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
12,427
10
81
Originally posted by: miri
Originally posted by: ThisIsMatt
asbestos isn't really THAT serious of an issue, unless you're going around snorting the brake dust off of peoples' wheels. I'd be more worried about what toxins are on/in the food you eat.
It is serious when you consider the amount of renovation work being done on our older buildings. Also imagine how much asbestos will be in the air repairing all the hurricane damaged buildings.

Mmmm....I think he was talking about asbestos in automobile brake shoes in which case it is not a big issue at all. Most quality shoes you buy for the autoparts store that are name brand do not have any asbestos in them anyway these days....most are metallic or semi-metallic anyway these days.
 

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
19,446
0
0
Originally posted by: miri
If you do a air quality check of any area with a lot of vehicle traffic, the air quality tests will show a small amount of asbestos in the air due to brakes. But again it is a small amount and there is still no scientific study that determines how much asbestos it takes to do serious damage.
I'm calling BS. Are you saying it stays airborne? Unless I see some actual facts, I'm writing you off as an asbestos alarmist...
 

miri

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2003
3,679
0
76
Originally posted by: Insane3D
Originally posted by: miri
If you do a air quality check of any area with a lot of vehicle traffic, the air quality tests will show a small amount of asbestos in the air due to brakes. But again it is a small amount and there is still no scientific study that determines how much asbestos it takes to do serious damage.
I'm calling BS. Are you saying it stays airborne? Unless I see some actual facts, I'm writing you off as an asbestos alarmist...
http://www.epa.gov/wtc/asbestos/

That website has constanly updated data from their asbestos monitoring stations. As you will see there are trace amounts of asbestos airborne.
 

ThisIsMatt

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
11,820
1
0
Originally posted by: miri
Originally posted by: Insane3D
Originally posted by: miri
If you do a air quality check of any area with a lot of vehicle traffic, the air quality tests will show a small amount of asbestos in the air due to brakes. But again it is a small amount and there is still no scientific study that determines how much asbestos it takes to do serious damage.
I'm calling BS. Are you saying it stays airborne? Unless I see some actual facts, I'm writing you off as an asbestos alarmist...
http://www.epa.gov/wtc/asbestos/

That website has constanly updated data from their asbestos monitoring stations. As you will see there are trace amounts of asbestos airborne.
Asbestos fibers also occur naturally...not sure what a "normal" amount is, though...

 

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
19,446
0
0
Miri....you are aware that is monitoring the airborne asbestos around the WTC site right? That has nothing at all to do with traffic.

*shakes head*
 

miri

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2003
3,679
0
76
Originally posted by: Insane3D
Originally posted by: miri
If you do a air quality check of any area with a lot of vehicle traffic, the air quality tests will show a small amount of asbestos in the air due to brakes. But again it is a small amount and there is still no scientific study that determines how much asbestos it takes to do serious damage.
I'm calling BS. Are you saying it stays airborne? Unless I see some actual facts, I'm writing you off as an asbestos alarmist...
And the asbestos that is airborne is like dust so it can fall to the ground and then the slightest breeze will make that particle airborne again.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY