Car Battery Trouble

DPK

Jan 10, 2000
I have a new Diehard battery in my 1990 Camry Wagon and for the second time in about three weeks I had to get a jump after it wouldn't start. The first time I might have left the inside light on, but this morning the car started fine and after I put some gas in it wouldn't start back up, not one sound came when I turned the key. Could this be the alternater? How could it go from starting fine to nothing in 5 minutes?

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
does the dome light/other stuff come on? or is everything totally off?

it might be one of your battery cables. i have a bad negative battery cable in my saturn. if i slam the door to hard, it looses the connection, i have to open the hood and wiggle the cable , then try to start it

try wiggling your battery cables

DPK

Jan 10, 2000
Ok, thanks. That could be the problem. Are they easy to replace if need be?

Aug 26, 2004
shouldnt be too difficult...actually its probably going to be the connecitons on the end of the cable that will need to be replaced...pretty easy

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
i don't know. i have been too lazy to deal with it (i just been driving my other car). i am going to take it to my mechanic sometime, but it probably isn't that hard to change, i don't know

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
They're really not that hard to replace. A lot of times the connections are just corroded and just need cleaned, so replacing the whole cable isn't needed.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Your alternator is likely bad, and any decent shop should be able to diagnose between a bad battery and a bad alternator. Unless you have a deep cycle battery, you will damage the battery if you continue to drive around with a bad alternator, even if that battery is brand new.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Don't nevessarily need to replace anything either. DIsconnect the connectors on the battery as beset you can, clean them off with a steel brush so they are nice and shiny and then put everything back together. See what happens. I had this problem a few weeks ago and the connections were somewhat corroded and such.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: FoBoT
i don't know. i have been too lazy to deal with it (i just been driving my other car). i am going to take it to my mechanic sometime, but it probably isn't that hard to change, i don't know

i guess you should be changing your username now eh?