Car Audio Question

PizzaDude

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2002
I just got a new car stereo installed and the highs/tweeters sound a little too harsh for me. The system sounds OK for rap/hip hop, but if I try listening to country it's just too piercing. I've tried adjusting the treble settings via the headunit, but it's still too harsh. Is there anything else I can do?

Here is the system:

Alpine MRP-F450 4 channel amp
Alping CDA-9856 Head Unit
Alpine 10" Type S Subwoofer
Polk Audio 4" db400 coaxials
Polk Audio db6500 Components

Also, is it possible the highs will become less harsh over time/after "breaking in" the speakers?

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
I'm in the same boat. Alpine Type R coax's up front on a Kenwood 4-channel amp. My buddy is a car audio guru, I've just never given him a ring to find out what to adjust

PizzaDude

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2002
What is the gain? I guess I should mention that i had someone else install these, and I'm sort of a car audio n00b. I did a lot of research to learn about what I needed and what would fit my car, but I may have made a mistake by not listening to these speakers in person before buying them. I might learn a valuable lesson here...

davestar

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2001
the crossovers for some component speakers have 2 tweet outputs - one is attenuated relative to the other. check to see if yours has that.

...or the obvious solution is don't listen to country!

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
I use a pair of audio control EQTs and an RTA to set mine.
You could do that.
What crossover point are you using?

PizzaDude

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2002
Originally posted by: glen
You could do that.

I have no idea what you just said. EQT? RTA? Whaaat?

On the headunit, the treble is set to 7.5k Hz, which is the lowest. The other settings are 10k Hz, 12.5k Hz, and 15k Hz.

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
Originally posted by: PizzaDude
Originally posted by: glen
You could do that.

I have no idea what you just said. EQT? RTA? Whaaat?

On the headunit, the treble is set to 7.5k Hz, which is the lowest. The other settings are 10k Hz, 12.5k Hz, and 15k Hz.
EQTs are equalizers.
look here:
http://www.mobileaudiocontrol.com/dept.asp?d_id=5248&l1=5248
One of those will do, and be a lot less expensive.

An RTA has a microphone and listens to you system and makes a graph so you know which frequencies are too low or too high. You use that to set your EQ, and you can get a smooth great sounding response.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: Christobevii3
Don't buy crappy coaxials

I'm assuming the coaxials are in the rear and not even remotely related to the problem. OP, where are the tweeters located? Sometimes tweeters can sound harsh because they are too close to head level.

davestar

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2001
no one's asked about the install location? if the tweets are up on the dash, bouncing sound off that windshielf, they're bound to sound harsh. play with the location/angle of the tweets without destroying the soundstage too much

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
Originally posted by: davestar
the crossovers for some component speakers have 2 tweet outputs - one is attenuated relative to the other. check to see if yours has that.

...or the obvious solution is don't listen to country!

Yes, check for this. I've been through 3 different sets of components and all 3 had this setting. I think it's -3 db, 0, and +3 db. Try setting it to -3 db or 0. I have mine on +3db cause I like my highs a little brighter.

PizzaDude

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2002
I don't think there is a setting for this =(

At least it doesn't specify it on Polk's website.

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
Some coaxials are the same as component speakers - for example JL AUdios.

scott916

Platinum Member
Mar 2, 2005
If the tweeter adjustments are indeed 7.5khz, 10k Hz, 12.5k Hz, and 15k Hz, I think that's most likely the high-pass crossover point. That attenuates all frequencies below the point you set it at, usually at 10 octaves per decibel. If you are trying to adjust the treble, this setting isn't what you're looking for.

Set at 7.5khz could possibly be too low for the tweeter, you want it to slightly overlap your midrange drivers, not get a huge frequency band that they compete for. It could be causing distortion, so try setting it higher.

Ideally you should check the manual for the component set and see the nominal frequencies for each driver and set accordingly.

Lastly, check the crossover box that bot speakers connect to before they hit the amplifier. There is often a tweeter attenuation dipswitch on there, my MB Quarts had one.

EDIT: Also, where are those 4"er's? 4" speakers are notorious for being harsh in the high midrange. That coupled with the tweeters in the doors could be a contributing factor.