Car audio n00b, need advice [now with pics]

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Personally I wouldn't even upgrade the rears. Think about your home stereo. Where does the music come from? The fronts, and in the case of surround systems some ambience from the rear. Put your money into the fronts and leave the rears turned down so low you can barely hear them.

In my Dakota I've got two sets of fronts(MB Quarts), one in the doors and another in custom kick panels.

RGN

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Calcio
Here are some ideas

these are decent

hmm, yes those are... Those are VERY decent.

I wouldn't try to mount anything in the hatchback cover. And after looking at those rear speaker locations, I'd use the above linked speakers and just swap them out. No muss no fuss and great performance.

RGN

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
In next month I'm redoing my Maxima and that line of Blaupunkt are going in. I am going to use an amp, but I'm not sure which one though... But the ODx* line are my choice.
I really don't like the Infinity Reference series. Everytime I've heard them, the highs have been too crisp and there is hardly any midrange.

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000
these are what I have, and they scream
MB Quart

Go for thesethey are on sale. Very nice speakers

No offense dude, but you suck at linking :p:p;)

Those MB Quart's look nice. Do you have your's hooked up to an amp at all? I'm probably going to be running mine right off the head unit for now. I might upgrade to an amp this summer if the sound is that much better.

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000
Originally posted by: RGN
In next month I'm redoing my Maxima and that line of Blaupunkt are going in. I am going to use an amp, but I'm not sure which one though... But the ODx* line are my choice.
I really don't like the Infinity Reference series. Everytime I've heard them, the highs have been too crisp and there is hardly any midrange.

You think I should go with the Blaupunkt ODx* series or go with the Infinity Kappa series? How will they sound running off the head unit? How much better will they sound running off an amp? What if I don't upgrade to an amp?

RGN

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
They will be fine with out an amp - if that DEH-P2000 puts out 40 wattsX4.

Remember ANY 4x6 will not put out anything less than mid-range sound. The output frequency starts at 70KHz.

Calcio

Sep 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Yzzim
these are what I have, and they scream
MB Quart

Go for thesethey are on sale. Very nice speakers

No offense dude, but you suck at linking :p:p;)

Those MB Quart's look nice. Do you have your's hooked up to an amp at all? I'm probably going to be running mine right off the head unit for now. I might upgrade to an amp this summer if the sound is that much better.

Sorry about the linking
I'm running the Quarts off an amp (Fosgate 200.4)
Go for the Polks though. They are great speakers IMHO. That is a great price.

Viperoni

Lifer
Jan 4, 2000

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000
Remember I'm a car audio n00b here. Throwing all these different speakers at me is making my head spin.
I have no idea what component speakers are, how to hook them up, where they go, etc.

Seems like "upgrading" my 4x6s and getting either Infinity Kappas/References or the Blaupunkt ODx series is the way for me to go. I think........

RGN

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000

Seems like "upgrading" my 4x6s and getting either Infinity Kappas/References or the Blaupunkt ODx series is the way for me to go. I think........

I would agree. You will enjoy them. Remember though, its good to buy the same brand and series for the fronts and back.

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000
Originally posted by: RGN

I would agree. You will enjoy them. Remember though, its good to buy the same brand and series for the fronts and back.

Ah hell...that screws everything up now.

TheNemesis

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2000
Forget the same brand for fronts and back, not really that important IMO. I just got a pair of 4" Infinity Kappas, and they sound pretty...dull off of the headunit. The reason I got them is because I'm going to send 50w RMS to each, and that will produce awesome sound, and I'm going to get a 12" Shiva in the back, the amp for the fronts cost me $50 shipped, and the sub amp(450wx1 @ 4 ohms) is going to cost $100 shipped. Something to think about, I imagine it's going to sound pretty bad ass. Anyways, enough about me. If you're set off of powering with your head unit, DON'T get the Kappas. If I were you, I would get these for your rears, and these for the front doors.

crawford

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by: TheNemesis
Forget the same brand for fronts and back, not really that important IMO. I just got a pair of 4" Infinity Kappas, and they sound pretty...dull off of the headunit. The reason I got them is because I'm going to send 50w RMS to each, and that will produce awesome sound, and I'm going to get a 12" Shiva in the back, the amp for the fronts cost me $50 shipped, and the sub amp(450wx1 @ 4 ohms) is going to cost $100 shipped. Something to think about, I imagine it's going to sound pretty bad ass. Anyways, enough about me. If you're set off of powering with your head unit, DON'T get the Kappas. If I were you, I would get these for your rears, and these for the front doors.

man where are you getting your stuff for so cheap ?

mztykal

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
I'm getting the Ultimate Cupric line when I upgrade the stocks. So far I'm finishing off my trunk and amp installs. :D

If you're not going to upgrade to a amp/sub setup, get 6 1/2's to fit into the stock locations. Also I'd go with components for the front, but you won't be doing them any good without a amp. Oh well...

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000
I just purchased the Infinity Reference 652i's off a guy on Ebay. They were brand new and in the box. Guy seemed like he was a good dealer...had something like 24,000+ feedback :Q:Q

I think I'll be pretty happy with these. Right now I'd be happy with any upgrade to my factory speakers.

Thanks for all your help! Very appreciated! :)