Car appraisal: Which is more accurate? Edmunds or Kbb.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AE86Lover

Mar 7, 2006
Ok, i'm trying to sell my car and i wanna know which company is more reliable in determining an appraised value..

Kbb.com or Edmunds.com?

Any input is greatly appreciated

After 8 years, I doubt the OP is still interested.
admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
I think most people sell their cars for slightly under blue book value, unless your car is very popular or cult-ish, like the AE86.

Dec 4, 2002
Originally posted by: virtualgames0
I think most people sell their cars for slightly under blue book value, unless your car is very popular or cult-ish, like the AE86.

This makes sense as KBB is generally higher than it's actually worth.

PAB

Banned
Dec 4, 2002
I use Black Books by Hearst media to value how to buy and how to sell. Thats as accurate as it gets regarding nationally reported data.

YoshiSato

Banned
Jul 31, 2005
Use KBB for selling.

Use NADA when buying. Most insurance companies use NADA and it's priced lower than KBB.

Sphexi

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2005
Edmunds is priced WAY lower than most cars actually go for. They say my car is worth half what it'd sell for.

aswedc

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2000
Neither. I won't pay any more than the average eBay price, which about a year ago, was a lot lower than any other site.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Edmunds is more in line with what a car is actually worth. KBB is what dealers use and as a result is higher.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
I would say use your local paper or autotrader.com and see what other people in the area are selling thier exact car for. Would hate to be the one out there that is either too high or too low on your price. Thoes books you speak of are not god written prices. It would be the market in your area that is the deciding factor on what your car is worth.

laurenlex

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2004
A used vehicle is worth what somebody is willing to pay for it. Sorry if that's lame, but it's the truth.

The book values are a guide, but the market will determine the real value.

Start high, act serious, but be willing to come down on price if you have a serious looker.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: aswedc
Neither. I won't pay any more than the average eBay price, which about a year ago, was a lot lower than any other site.
That's a poor method IMHO since most of the time its a lot more effort to buy a car from ebay (shipping and/or inspections, etc.). Besides that, I don't think the average car buyer is going to turn to ebay unless they want something they can't find locally.

carfreak

Banned
Sep 7, 2014
To be honest both are not very good, NADA is the best for the general public. If you want a true wholesale value on a car http://www.kbbdealer.com tells the public what cars sell for at auctions. This is true value.

Last edited:

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
Edmunds is priced WAY lower than most cars actually go for. They say my car is worth half what it'd sell for.

Just because you won't sell something for market price doesn't mean it is worth more than the market price.

Nothing is worth anything more than someone is willing to pay for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.