car alarms: Avital Vs Autopage

Maximus96

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
wow, those sure look fancy as hell with the lcds. how much are they? sadly around here, nobody gives a fvck when a car alarm goes off... whats the range on those lcd by the way?

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
price list????

i would reccomend a viper alarm.

or the prestige apc 996a.

both are excellent, however the prestige can be had for < 200$ and has 2 way, and everything. but cannot accept battery backup sirens.

VIper is top of the line.

check out http://www.sounddomain.com , their forums, and security sense, iamurph knows what he is talking about.

MIKE

GonzoDaGr8

Platinum Member
Apr 29, 2001
I have had good luck with the Avital brand. Reliability seems better than Clifford, Code alarms, and Ungo(If any of these brands are still available).

iwearnosox

Lifer
Oct 26, 2000
Avital started from a bunch of people that left clifford. Last I heard vipers sucked but maybe they're better now.

I vote avital.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
vipers suck??

DEI is the highest, and most reccommended brand out there, and viper is their top of the line.

MIKE

iwearnosox

Lifer
Oct 26, 2000
Originally posted by: nourdmrolNMT1
vipers suck??

DEI is the highest, and most reccommended brand out there, and viper is their top of the line.

MIKE
I'm speaking from my personal experience of installing alarms. I've installed them all and viper was trash. This was some time ago so maybe they've improved.

DarkManX

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
DEI owns viper, clifford, avital, and some others. some of the products are identical just carry the different names, for example the cliford and viper 2-way systems are identical.

iwearnosox

Lifer
Oct 26, 2000
Originally posted by: DarkManX
DEI owns viper, clifford, avital, and some others. some of the products are identical just carry the different names, for example the cliford and viper 2-way systems are identical.

See how times change? :confused:

DarkManX

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
well i guess DEI stuff is the best out there, im just lookin for opinions on the autopage systems.

richardycc

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
DEI owns avital too, avital was the low end line from clifford, and as you know, DEI bought clifford and got avital too. The avital uses DEI parts too. But you should get a viper or a "true" DEI brand, as they have "true" lifetime warranty. I think the avital remotes only have one yr warranty.

edit: I could be wrong on the newer avital products, my gf got an avital just when dei was buying clifford, and thats the warranty they were giving from them, guess they didnt want to give a good warranty for another company's products that they've just brought. the 4400 looks nice. I have a viper 790vx myself, I love it, except for the BIG 1st generation 2way remote.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Heh, no one cares aout car alarms any more. Unless you hear it, most people will jsut glance at it (if that) and keep walking. And, who's want to break into a Grand Am anyway? Not knociking them since I have one, but really....

DarkManX

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
Originally posted by: FrankyJunior
Heh, no one cares aout car alarms any more. Unless you hear it, most people will jsut glance at it (if that) and keep walking. And, who's want to break into a Grand Am anyway? Not knociking them since I have one, but really....

im installed a computer in the car, along with some audio hardware.

DarkManX

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
i got it narrowed down to Autopage RS850 Vs PRESTIGE 996. Another question is where to find accesories for it, I would like at least 1 backup batt+siren, plus a few piezo alarms, are they proprietary to each brand or can I just buy any? and can i wire them myself?