Car alarm help needed...

AStar617

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2002
I have a '92 BMW 525i (automatic) with an aftermarket CodeAlarm system already installed when I bought it. Well the range always sucked for the remote fob (you basically have to be right next to the door to chirp it, or maybe 10-15ft on a good day) but now it refuses to disarm. I get no response from the remote.

Which, by the way, is actually a Remocon LRT1 like this one. Don't know if that matters or not. The range issue existed regardless, whether or not I used a CodeAlarm-original 2-button remote.

So now I can't drive anywhere (including work tomorrow) because I can't start my car--if I unlock and open the door, the alarm is triggered for ~60sec, then rearms if the door is closed or starts again if still open. And though I doubt the battery is dead (the green LED lights the same as it always did) I can't get another battery for my remote as a precaution because the size is nonstandard and would probably require a Radio Shack, which would require a car.

Grr.

AStar617

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2002
Hoping it won't come down to that, particularly since in my area it's nothing like hailing a cab in NYC. And $20 "delivery fee" for a battery that might not solve the problem would piss me off even worse.

I wish the damn thinig would just chirp once so I can promptly relocate the fob to the bottom of my junk drawer and ignore the alarm altogether. As-is, I can work from home but not long term, and for a few different reasons it's a pain in the ass and not optimal. :|

/pours 4am beer

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
I can tell you how to bypass the starter kill on your alarm. PM me or IM me on aim- bbb5757