car air filter? Does brand matter?

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
I paid $24 (double what I thought it would be) for mine at Autozone it I opened and well....the filter itself looks like it went through a washing machine. It is made by STP. I am willing to bet that some a-hole returned it like this. Are there any companies that I should avoid? From the looks of it (I searched on line) they all look like they are bought from one company and rebranded.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Some fit a little better then others for certain brands. But I just buy the cheapest and if it fits I use it. If not I return and try another.

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Many people believe that buying and using OEM in replacement of car parts like an air filter is very advisable and more practical, actually brand name should be the last factor in choosing a replacement for auto parts. It is recommended to use generic (custom fit) for replacement. It often has a good quality and it's quite cheaper.

Ok, I marked the problems with your statement. The brand for many things is important because "often" having good quality isn't really that good. I don't want to buy stuff that "often" will do what it should, I want to get something that I know is going to work. I'm not saying that the OP should go out and get the highest priced replacement filter out there, but OEM or a brand known for making good parts is a good place to start.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
For air filters, I go to Autozone/etc. For oil filters, I go OEM - but that's me. :)

T2urtle

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2004
Pureone for both if possible. $7 gold oil filters and $13 blue air filters. These are normal prices. So when they are on sale its win win win

Sent from my Nexus One

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
I've just been using whatever NAPA is selling for the lowest price. Performance air filters won't make a lick of difference on cars with a stock intake. Those bloody K&N ones have to be cleaned and oiled too. PITA if you ask me.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
lol....i was cleaning out my trunk yesterday and saw my new cabin air filter. Appearently, I am supposed to replace it every 30K. I have 82K and I have not done it yet....

Also....holy necro....

Last edited:

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I always buy the cheapest possible, but i also replace it monthly because i get it covered in mud monthly.

chin311

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
lol....i was cleaning out my trunk yesterday and saw my new cabin air filter. Appearently, I am supposed to replace it every 30K. I have 82K and I have not done it yet....

Also....holy necro....

you should do it lol i changed mine around 40k and it was FILTHY.

my wife's was @ 65k and it was the original and was terrible.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
you should do it lol i changed mine around 40k and it was FILTHY.

my wife's was @ 65k and it was the original and was terrible.

trust me....I want to change it....but then i saw what you had to do to get to the cabin filter in a Mazda 3. Like everything else in this car, even the simplest task is a chore. But yeah, it will be done....

jupiter57

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2001
Many people believe that buying and using OEM in replacement of car parts like an air filter is very advisable and more practical, actually brand name should be the last factor in choosing a replacement for auto parts. It is recommended to use generic (custom fit) for replacement. It often has a good quality and it's quite cheaper.

This!

Too many people swear by OEM.
OEM simply means that particular supplier was the low bidder when the Manufacturer was pricing parts.
IMHO, if you buy the cheapest parts, you are very likely getting at least OEM quality, most of the time anyway.

Jawadali

Oct 1, 2003

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Wow, you're right. I didn't see the date. What is it with people signing up to do just one random post on a very dead thread?

most of the time it's someone spamming their own site. chances are this is the same thing.

Last edited:

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
You're probably right, as the link in his post leads to a WordPress site on Air Filters:

http://carpartsavenue.wordpress.com/2011/06/21/air-filter-a-vehicles-gas-mask

Did you read anything on there? It's hilariously bad. Here's a snippet.

Air Flow is very vital to us; it will purified and oxygenated the blood that delivers all the nutrients to nourish our entire system, as for the vehicles without a sufficient air flow, the fuel provided by your injectors will cannot be combust.