car aficionados: need help

B00ne

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
I am translating something and I cannot find descriptions on certain words from automobile industry:

1. reduced Head toss

2. yaw rate tracking

3. side slip angle during transient maneuvers

If anyone has an idea I would be grateful

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
3) Probably the angle at which the car swings out of intended direction during high speed testing. Say you toss a car around a corner on a cone track and the ass comes out 15 degrees, that would be side slip angle during transient maneuvers. My guess anyway

Don't you have co-workers you can ask as well?

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Reduced head toss? Is that when the severed heads you have in the back window get tossed around less?

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Reduced head toss? Is that when the severed heads you have in the back window get tossed around less?

Just my guess, but

#1 - reduced chance of wiplash or head being tossed around when making tight turns.

#2 and 3 - traction control/monitoring how hard the car is turning

dethman

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

sounds more like a refined salad toss. :p

B00ne

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: fbrdphreak
3) Probably the angle at which the car swings out of intended direction during high speed testing. Say you toss a car around a corner on a cone track and the ass comes out 15 degrees, that would be side slip angle during transient maneuvers. My guess anyway

Don't you have co-workers you can ask as well?

i am not in that business, I am translating for somebody else,.

Thanks btw I found out what the side slip angle is. Not quite what you were suggesting but close - it is the angle between the actual rolling diriction of the wheel and the diriction that wheel is pointing at during cornering.

What is really puzzling me is the head toss - i also saw that statement "reduced head toss in some jeep ad. Doesnt seem to deal with ones head but something the car does I guess

B00ne

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
well thats why I turned to this forum :)
I am german so I dont have anyone to ask - who a native english speaker and has an automobile background...

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: B00ne
I am translating something and I cannot find descriptions on certain words from automobile industry:

1. reduced Head toss

2. yaw rate tracking

3. side slip angle during transient maneuvers

If anyone has an idea I would be grateful

I've got ideas, but I'm not certain.

1. Probably has to do with the severity at which the body rolls (tips sideways) when you turn in. The quicker it is to roll, the faster and harder your head is going to be tossed around. If it's slow to roll, it'll be more gradual, and your reflexes will be able to compensate.

2. Yaw rate would have to do with how fast the car actually rotates (not tips/rolls) when you turn in.

3. Transient maneuvers are quick jerks: just left fast, then straighten out quickly. Say you do jut left super fast, the tires are going to slide a bit, and the angle, essentially the severity, at which it slides left (or would it slide in the opposite direction?), rather than turns left, would be the measure they're looking at.