Car accident on my street, car left in front of my house (pics now included post #28))

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I was watching the NCAA's yesterday afternoon (timeshifting) and took a break and noticed something going on in front of my house. There was a tow truck parked in front of my driveway and behind it was a car. I stepped out front and saw that the car had suffered an accident, the hood was deformed. The tow truck driver was messing with some gear between his truck and the car and I figured he was about to tow it away. I walk up to him, a middle aged guy who seemed extremely familiar with his gear, adroit in handling it and asked him if the accident had happened in front of my house (the car was parked 2 feet from the curb and right in front of my house). He says "up the street" and that's all. A little later I see that he's driven his truck from in front of the car, parking the truck across the street (in the wrong direction) a few houses ahead. I'm wondering what's up but go back in the house and continue watching the basketball tournament.

I find later that the car is still there, parked 2 feet out from the curb, which is more than the law allows, I am sure. It has both headlights smashed, the driver airbag has deployed (though is now collapsed), there are personal items still behind the front seats. This looks to me to be a pretty new car, a Nissan Altima 3.5SL.

I'm wondering what could be up with this. At first I figured that he was going to tow it and must have had some mechanical difficulties, i.e. that the car wouldn't readily roll behind his tow truck and that's the reason he didn't tow it away. Now I'm wondering if he didn't purposely tow it from the location of the accident and leave it on the street. I am wondering what MY options are here assuming that the car remains there. Call the police? I assume that there was a police report. I figure I could call my insurance agent tomorrow (today's Sunday) and ask his advice. What do you make of this?

Last edited:

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I would call the police now to find out what is up. Report it as an abandoned vehicle.

Why would your insurance agent have any advice.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
LMAO! Why would your insurance agent give a shit? Instead of creating this thread which probably took you a hour, you could have called the police and have them have it towed.

Reactions: Schfifty Five

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I would call the police now to find out what is up. Report it as an abandoned vehicle.

Why would your insurance agent have any advice.
I just called the police and they said they have no record of an accident reported yesterday in this vicinity. She said it isn't required to be reported to the police if there were no injuries, which seems possible. She said if the car is still there after 3 days from when it was parked there I should call the police again and report it and they will come out and "tag it."

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
LMAO! Why would your insurance agent give a shit? Instead of creating this thread which probably took you a hour, you could have called the police and have them have it towed.
My insurance agent has manners, more than I can say for you. He also probably knows the applicable laws, having dealt with myriad car accidents, which I have not...

You, ragging on me again. Good job, dimwit. The cops said after 3 days they will tag it. Having it towed would obviously take longer... Having your ass towed might take longer yet.
By maritime law, the car is now yours. Congratulations!
If you offer me enough for it, I'll sign over the rights to you. Let me know.

Last edited:

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
you push that thing into your garage and hold it for ransom

and part that motherfucker out on ebay

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I just called the police and they said they have no record of an accident reported yesterday in this vicinity. She said it isn't required to be reported to the police if there were no injuries, which seems possible. She said if the car is still there after 3 days from when it was parked there I should call the police again and report it and they will come out and "tag it."

Wow that sucks you have to wait three days with that eyesore in front of your house. Maybe the owner will have it towed sooner.... Good luck.

Herr Kutz

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
Can you please pull the gear shifter PRNDL indicator light out? The light went out on my NIssan, and I'm looking for a replacement.

Thanks in advance.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Can you please pull the gear shifter PRNDL indicator light out? The light went out on my NIssan, and I'm looking for a replacement.

Thanks in advance.
I have literally not touched the car and don't intend to. Sorry...

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
you push that thing into your garage and hold it for ransom

and part that motherfucker out on ebay
Technically, it's not mine. It's someone else's car and parked in front of my house. Not entirely legally (it's about 2 feet from the curb), but until it's been there 3 days I don't think there's anything I can do about it. Even then, it may be a slow process to get the city to tow it away if it comes to that.

Feb 25, 2011
Maybe it's semi-driveable and the owner will be by to pick it up later?

I mean, it's Sunday - dude's probably in church thanking God he wasn't injured.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Maybe it's semi-driveable and the owner will be by to pick it up later?

I mean, it's Sunday - dude's probably in church thanking God he wasn't injured.
Conceivable it could be driven away. I figure the engine is under that hood. It's quite possible it's not driveable. I may never know... it could just disappear from in front of the house, either driven away or towed.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
My insurance agent has manners, more than I can say for you. He also probably knows the applicable laws, having dealt with myriad car accidents, which I have not...

You, ragging on me again. Good job, dimwit. The cops said after 3 days they will tag it. Having it towed would obviously take longer... Having your ass towed might take longer yet.

If you offer me enough for it, I'll sign over the rights to you. Let me know.

Yet, you're the one making threads b/c you're helpless.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Technically, it's not mine. It's someone else's car and parked in front of my house. Not entirely legally (it's about 2 feet from the curb), but until it's been there 3 days I don't think there's anything I can do about it. Even then, it may be a slow process to get the city to tow it away if it comes to that.

You said it is a newer car so the owner will eventually want it back and tow truck companies make pretty good money towing for the city. When they come out to tag it ask them who has the city contract and call the tow company yourself, they will likely come grab it quick before the owner has it towed himself. It is odd that a tow truck moved it down the street and left it, if the guy is local he sure didn't save much money. Maybe the guy is from out of town and he is trying to figure out what to do with his insurance company?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I would call a tow company to have it moved or impounded, and have the bill sent to the owner. Sucks because it will be a second blow to the owner who's already dealing with an accident situation, but they should have made sure the car is not just left somewhere to block a driveway. Seems odd it would not have been towed to a shop though, and l just left there.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Is it bigger than an alternator?

Asking the important questions.

Some alternators can be pretty big and heavy!

09power1.jpg

Reactions: pcgeek11

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yet, you're the one making threads b/c you're helpless.
No, you have an issue, that's the problem in evidence when you come in both arms swinging in threads I create. I am far from helpless, in fact I'm one of the most self sufficient people you could ever meet. However, I'm not ashamed to admit when I'd benefit from some help. In this world, if you don't do that you've been bamboozled.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I would call a tow company to have it moved or impounded, and have the bill sent to the owner. Sucks because it will be a second blow to the owner who's already dealing with an accident situation, but they should have made sure the car is not just left somewhere to block a driveway. Seems odd it would not have been towed to a shop though, and l just left there.
No, as I said in the OP the tow truck initially blocked my driveway but the car was (and still is) parked right in front of the house at the curb (albeit some 2 feet from the curb). My driveway is not blocked. My car is parked in my driveway.

I'm not super antsy that it be moved but I will act if it looks like nothing is being done. I'll call the police and report it as a nuisance. The law here is 3 days max parking on the street without moving your vehicle.