Capture decrypted signal from video out of set-top box?

AMDBOY

Mar 25, 2001
Guess I'm a little slow. So if I subscribe to digital Tv, (Direct, Dish, or Fios); then it's still not possible to get a capture to your PC of subscription channels?? I thought maybe the video out on the back of the set-top box would feed decrypted video to my PC.
I thought it would be possble to record to my HD.

How about some of the devices like " Pinnacle PCTV HD Ultimate Stick TV Tuner"?
They claim it can:
" HDTV on your PC: The PCTV HD Pro Stick TV tuner in an attractive stick size that brings the brilliant sharpness of HDTV via ATSC to your PC. Watch high quality digital HD and SDTV without service fees from anywhere on your laptop.

DVR: Instantly transform your PC into a personal digital video recorder with the included Pinnacle MediaCenter software, which lets you not only watch TV but also record, pause, rewind, and replay it.

Direct recording: Create your own DVD collection with direct-to-DVD recording.

USB 2.0: This device is connected and powered through any available USB 2.0 port.

Flash PVR technology: Using unique Flash PVR technology, you can record up to 2 hours of TV directly to the stick for playback on any PC. "
I am confused.
I just want to be able to record something from pay TV and watch it when it's convenient for us.

Is this possible? Thanks for your input.

jkresh

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
if you don't care about hd then anything with svideo input should work, if you do hauppauge has a device with component input (hd pvr 212 I think) which can do what you want.

AMDBOY

Mar 25, 2001
Cool, thanks. So, it is possble to send whatever is coming out of the back of my set-top box (Fios) to my PC. And to be able to record it to a HD or in some cases DVD. Correct?

As for HD content, of course I would have to be subscribed to receive it, but it also is possible to capture ,with a capable , compatible device correct?
I just get confused when it says:"Watch and record ATSC high definition digital TV or analog cable TV on your PC".
Isn't my Fios "cable tv" digital and decrypted, coming out of the back of my set-top box?

ASK THE COMMUNITY