Captain America: The First Avenger

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Just got back from seeing the midnight showing of Captain America, and what better to do than post about it to a bunch of strangers! :D

I thought it was a good movie. It had a decent amount of humor, and some good action. The 3D didn't seem that great, but unfortunately, there wasn't a 2D showing. The music score was good, but that's to be expected when Alan Silvestri is your composer, but I may be a bit biased since he also worked on my favorite movie of all time (Back to the Future)!

Definitely stay after the credits... it's a bit better than a tiny teaser this time.

Anyone else see it?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I heard it's good but not worth the 3D

I've never been a big fan of the 3D, because it always seems so underwhelming. The biggest "wow factor" that I've seen in 3D is still the Real3D clip with the AIBO-like dog and the floating ball. When the ball floats out, I just feel like trying to reach out and touch it! Isn't that the point of 3D?

Of course, Captain America was yet another post-processed travesty, but I've seen Avatar and Transformers 3 as well (both were filmed in 3D), and I wasn't impressed by them either.

EDIT:

Found the clip on YouTube and added the link.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
My wife and I are going to go see the Cap saturday. We are making a special trip to beaumont texas just to see it.

Last edited:

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I'll be heading to the drive-in to see it tonight. 2 movies for $6 :)
Still waiting to see how they arrange the other movies; the 2nd movie will either be the new Harry Potter, else the new Transformers movie.

Seriously - there's a scene after the credits? Usually, I'm starting the engine right at the moment I think the credits are about to roll - and making a break for the exit. I don't like traffic and don't want to be stuck in a line of traffic with 5 or 6 cars on the road.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
For what it's worth, Rotten Tomatoes has audience at 86% and top critics at 79%.

Wish I had a drive-in where we could both go see 2 first run movies for $6. Best I can do is $2 per person per movie for second run. Doesn't take too long for them to get there anymore. Super 8 just started Friday. That's about 6 weeks from opening. Although, considering FL heat, maybe indoor is better.

DrPizza

Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
For what it's worth, Rotten Tomatoes has audience at 86% and top critics at 79%.

Wish I had a drive-in where we could both go see 2 first run movies for $6. Best I can do is $2 per person per movie for second run. Doesn't take too long for them to get there anymore. Super 8 just started Friday. That's about 6 weeks from opening. Although, considering FL heat, maybe indoor is better.

I'm amazed that our drive-in has mostly first run shows - and for the most part, quite popular movies opening on the same night as they open in other theaters. Plus, extremely affordable concessions - two people (me and wife) - dinner and 2 movies will cost under $25. (Large pizza, drinks, and maybe a large popcorn ~$13, plus admission = $12)

OlafSicky

Platinum Member
Feb 25, 2011
I'm amazed that our drive-in has mostly first run shows - and for the most part, quite popular movies opening on the same night as they open in other theaters. Plus, extremely affordable concessions - two people (me and wife) - dinner and 2 movies will cost under $25. (Large pizza, drinks, and maybe a large popcorn ~$13, plus admission = $12)

I don't belive you where Alaska?:eek:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Seriously - there's a scene after the credits? Usually, I'm starting the engine right at the moment I think the credits are about to roll - and making a break for the exit. I don't like traffic and don't want to be stuck in a line of traffic with 5 or 6 cars on the road.

Yeah, if you want to judge it's worth, I'll put what the scene is in spoiler tags. To tempt you more, I think that bit after the credits actually got more hoots-n-hollers than anything that happened during the movie. :p

It's a trailer for The Avengers movie that comes out next year.

DrPizza

Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
It is SOOO not worth staying for the Avengers trailer, in case anyone was thinking of doing so. The credits rolled on forever (or maybe that's the usual length; I don't ever wait around for the credits.)
And, with tax, it was $13.37. Add on 2.10 for two 1-liters of cold bottled water we got on the way. We had a pizza (horrible compared to usual), enough french fries to stuff me, and popcorn.

ussfletcher

Platinum Member
Apr 16, 2005

I think its has been really overrated. To me it seemed to lack any sort of coherent plot and just skipped from action scene to action scene.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
It is SOOO not worth staying for the Avengers trailer, in case anyone was thinking of doing so. The credits rolled on forever (or maybe that's the usual length; I don't ever wait around for the credits.)
And, with tax, it was $13.37. Add on 2.10 for two 1-liters of cold bottled water we got on the way. We had a pizza (horrible compared to usual), enough french fries to stuff me, and popcorn.

The credits weren't any longer than during other movies. :p I think it might be more apt to describe it as a teaser than a trailer though. They also showed the Batman and Spider-Man teaser before the movie... they were definitely pandering to the comic book loving crowd.

EDIT:

I think its has been really overrated. To me it seemed to lack any sort of coherent plot and just skipped from action scene to action scene.

Taking down Hydra wasn't coherent enough? :p The one thing I think you could complain about in that regard is that it seems Red Skull was really underutilized in the movie. It's almost like the newer Star Trek movie... the bad guy may have been menacing, but I just didn't care much.

Last edited:

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Saw it a few hours ago. I thought it was great. My wife, who normally doesn't care for comic book stuff, liked it as well.

DrPizza

Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
this movie ain't worth watching.
87% of movie goers and 73% of movie critics disagree with you. And, if you look at which movie critics are the ones who DO agree with you, you'll see that they're almost exclusively from shitty publications & web blogs.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Very disappointed with the movie; I was really looking forward to it, but I kind of just found it boring. The acting was good, but the action was very lackluster; maybe I'm just sick of these origin stories, I don't know. That said, I am looking forward to seeing The Avengers movie to see how they bring everything together.

KT

AbAbber2k

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Enjoyed it. Story was ok, action was great. Good directing IMO. Loved the action montage scenes. Got exactly what I expected out of Cap.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010

Maybe your not a Marvel fan? I love how Marvel is tying all of the movies in together with little hints and stuff in the background. There are scenes in captain America that tie in with Iron Man and Thor, it was great. You just have to know what to look for.

Did you miss the whole cosmic cube thing? And how the red skull was trying to capture the endless power of the cube?

I thought they did a good job on Cap and am looking forward to the Avengers and Cap part II.

Last edited:

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Just saw it... good enough for me. Pretty much what I expected from a Marvel movie, and it was one of the better ones IMO. Good action, but the plot was a little cluttered. The whole origin thing took a bit longer than it should have, then by the time he actually goes into battle it seems rushed and over too fast.

Good if a bit too rushed. Seems like they just wanted to get him in place for the Avengers so there wasn't as much care put into it.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Flatout, Captain America is a bad dude :)
They could have stretch out his beginning over a couple of films though. Halley Atwell looked so good. I will get it on dvd for sure.