Capital Gains Tax is Garbage

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Amplifier
Originally posted by: kogase

That's why it sort of cracks me up when hotheaded, sour little men complain about "their money", and the various injust ways in which they are robbed of it by the government and the "welfare queens". They talk about "their money" as though every dime they earn is actually a direct result of the work they put in, when in fact they are members of a machine (this country) that enables them to work relatively menial jobs in exchange for a disproportianately high income. Most of the work is actually out of their hands, and yet they want to lay claim to every dime they "make". Prehehe.

Alright let's test this theory! I want all federal aid cut... just about... NOW!

Ok federal aid has officially been cut. No grants going to business owners, no welfare going to poor people, no job protection for the middle class. We'll keep the military though (I'm not that heartless that I'd cut EVERY government job)

Let's see how those poor people are doing!!!

Holy sht, we have to pay for health care?
Omfg I have to pay for my own kids?!?
No section 8??? How do I pay for my house? (get a job asshole)

Ok life isn't that bad for the poor people without the governments support. The ones that stopped doing drugs, having 12 welfare babies, and got insurance did... um... well they are better off than people in the Ukraine.

Oh well, no one here is poor right? So let's check in with the immortal backbone of our society, the middle class!

Maybe you can't tell, but that's a Mexican that stole your job you racist asshole!!!
And now Pablo stole your wife!
Looks like the person who wasn't a whiney little bitch and did a good job didn't get outsourced!

So the middle class didn't disappear, but the ones with POINTLESS protection were fvcking owned. Also people found out that paying farmers not to grow crops was fvcking stupid. Food prices dropped, in-fvcking-credible?

Ok the business owners...

It's nice not being leeched on by the government. Those of us that didn't exist off welfare grants, hi entire airline industry, did better than before. And the lack of inane taxes makes us more efficient.

Ok we are snapping back into our stupid fcking reality in 3,2,1...

Ok what did we learn:
1) There are people who are business owners, middle class, and poor (all of them) who rely on the government to exist. These people are assholes.
2) Well run businesses would just as soon replace you (yes you reading this right now) with Mexicans, BECAUSE MEXICANS ARE JUST AS GOOD AT WORKING AS YOU ELITIST ASSHOLES.
3) Everyone in this thread who disagreed with me is wrong, ignorant, and racist.
4) Capital gains taxes filter money from people doing sht with it, to welfare drug addicts with 15 kids as well as purchasing over a dozen $5000 segways for BWI Rent-a-Cops.
5) Dumbledoor dies in whatever Harry Potter you're reading.
6) Moonwhatever: You have no fvcking clue what you're talking about. "My mindset is outside your program. That is why I can see what you have been programmed not to." Try this message board www.matrixphilosophyrulezthereisnospoonandheitiaisnotforfags.org/board
7) /thread

Man, you are completely fvcked up. I don't even know if the above garbage (well, it's not all garbage, but the attacks on some of us are) deserves a :cookie: or not.

Shakes head....heads to work to keep the jobs here for us elitests instead of giving them to the Mexicans! :roll:

P.S. Do you think that the "elitists" running the corporations would hire Mexicans if they weren't paying them $0.78 per hour with no benefits?

imported_tss4

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2004
Originally posted by: ntdz
Originally posted by: Engineer
Oh, and I don't believe in the trickle down theory either. Greed at the top keeps it at the top.

It's not trickle down theory. It's keeping leeches from slowing down our companies.

So if an exec. get all or most of his salary in stocks and turns and sells them, he shouldn't get taxed on the gains?

Under normal income tax rules, yes.

ok, you do realize then that your tax on investment income would go up then, right? Not criticising, just making sure I understand your position. (Marginaql rates in income tax is greater than the current capitol gains rate).

imported_tss4

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2004
Originally posted by: ironwing
Under normal income tax rules, yes.

Excellent, we are in agreement; capital gains should be taxed as regular income instead of at a lower rate as they are currently.

Not really. I dont think there should be ANY tax on capital gains after 1 year. Before that, I think it should be counted as normal income.

why? its income? How is that fair?

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005

That's why it sort of cracks me up when hotheaded, sour little men complain about "their money", and the various injust ways in which they are robbed of it by the government and the "welfare queens". They talk about "their money" as though every dime they earn is actually a direct result of the work they put in, when in fact they are members of a machine (this country) that enables them to work relatively menial jobs in exchange for a disproportianately high income. Most of the work is actually out of their hands, and yet they want to lay claim to every dime they "make". Prehehe.

Alright let's test this theory! I want all federal aid cut... just about... NOW!

Ok federal aid has officially been cut. No grants going to business owners, no welfare going to poor people, no job protection for the middle class. We'll keep the military though (I'm not that heartless that I'd cut EVERY government job)

Ok life isn't that bad for the poor people without the governments support. The ones that stopped doing drugs, having 12 welfare babies, and got insurance did... um... well they are better off than people in the Ukraine.

Oh well, no one here is poor right? So let's check in with the immortal backbone of our society, the middle class!

Maybe you can't tell, but that's a Mexican that stole your job you racist asshole!!!
Looks like the person who wasn't a whiney little bitch and did a good job didn't get outsourced!

So the middle class didn't disappear, but the ones with POINTLESS protection were fvcking owned. Also people found out that paying farmers not to grow crops was fvcking stupid. Food prices dropped, in-fvcking-credible?

It's nice not being leeched on by the government. Those of us that didn't exist off welfare grants, hi entire airline industry, did better than before. And the lack of inane taxes makes us more efficient.

Ok what did we learn:
1) There are people who are business owners, middle class, and poor (all of them) who rely on the government to exist. These people are assholes.
2) Well run businesses would just as soon replace you (yes you reading this right now) with Mexicans, BECAUSE MEXICANS ARE JUST AS GOOD AT WORKING AS YOU ELITIST ASSHOLES.
3) Everyone in this thread who disagreed with me is wrong, ignorant, and racist.
4) Capital gains taxes filter money from people doing sht with it, to welfare drug addicts with 15 kids as well as purchasing over a dozen $5000 segways for BWI Rent-a-Cops.
6) Moonwhatever: You have no fvcking clue what you're talking about. "My mindset is outside your program. That is why I can see what you have been programmed not to." Try this message board www.matrixphilosophyrulezthereisnospoonandheitiaisnotforfags.org/board
7) /thread

You forgot walmart would go out of buisness. Because walmart basically requires welfare in order to keep its workers healthy and with decent living condishons. So without welfare, walmart wouldn't have employee's.

imported_tss4

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2004
Originally posted by: sourceninja
You forgot walmart would go out of buisness. Because walmart basically requires welfare in order to keep its workers healthy and with decent living condishons. So without welfare, walmart wouldn't have employee's.

No, the average age of its workers would just be a lot younger.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Ok what did we learn:
7) /thread

What you learned is nothing. What you failed to learn is that you are a linear thinker that examines an issue from the limited perspective of the issue out of the context or matrix in which the issue resides and that only by thinking holistically will any intelligent understanding of an issue evolve. In short, you are a monochromatic knuckle head
with a religious belief, a snake oil peddler, a horse with a burr under its blanket full of zealous passion and no understanding. You are the malcontent who pins his hidden inferiority on one of the stereotypical classes of randomly generated bitch-about fads various other more cleaver imbeciles dream up and write books about to prey on and suck money out of your very common diseased condition.

IS MONOPOLY A CANCER?

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Originally posted by: tss4
income is income. It should all be taxed the same, whether is be from capitol gains for from a job. Its the only fair way to do it.
Is it fair to be born rich. Is it fair to have a been born with a high IQ and develop no social conscious and devote yourself simply to making money and thereby amass a fortune. We are all part of the matrix. Your wealth is dependent on the society you live in. A wealthy nomad owns only what he can carry, and Trump owns half the world. Think of the accumulation of wealth as a form of cancer with huge tumors all over the place. Taxes are a form of cancer drug that shrinks the tumors and keeps the tumor from self destruction. Or would you prefer to cut the tumor out. A parasite needs to take care of the host and if he is too stupid to see that regulations will ensue. You are a nobody and you would know that if you were completely alone. You live in a world of profound interdependence screaming I me me mine.

Wow, rich people are cancers to society. That is the first time I've ever heard that one. The real cancers are the ones that can't pull their own weight. There is nothing wrong with making money, it's what we as humans are programmed to do. Your mindset is totally ass backwards, instead of bitching about people being "born rich" (when in fact 90% of the millionaires in America are self made), you should thank them for paying your burdon of the taxes because you suck at making money.

You are a self admitted automaton and you have the gall to tell me I've got it backward? Hehe, that's a good one. You are simply programmed to respond within your programming. My mindset is outside your program. That is why I can see what you have been programmed not to. Jeepers, think about what you say.

Is a monopoly a cancer?

What in gods name are you talking about? You don't make any sense. Wtf is a "self admitted automation?" There is only one monopoly, Microsoft, and I don't consider them a cancer.

:laugh:

best self-ownage I've seen in a while...

imported_redlotus

Mar 3, 2005
Originally posted by: Genx87
I saw your chart. It is tasteless, sophmoric claptrap. Do you have any valid reason why unearned income should be taxed at a lower rate than income folks work for?

It is to help induce investment instead of people sitting on the cash. What incentive would somebody have to invest the money if they are taxed at a rate as high as income?

Wow....just, wow!!

I can only assume that the lateness of your post is the reason for such a dumb question. There can't be any other reason, unless my sarcasm meter is on the fritz again.

If you invest $10 million and earn a 6% gain(a fair stock market gain), keeping only $390k (instead of $480k under the current capital gains taxes) is still much better than earning only $200k (or 2%) by leaving it sitting in a savings account.

Admittedly, increasing capital gains taxes does reduce the incentive to invest, but how could you possibly even suggest that it would kill all incentive?

imported_redlotus

Mar 3, 2005
Originally posted by: BoberFett
If a poor man can be taxed for investing his time in a company, a rich man can be taxed for investing his money in a company.

The rich don't make their money through salaries. If there were no capital gains tax, the common man would be footing the entire bill.

Are you that stupid? Income is still income, people making money on capital gains would still pay income tax on it...

No, he's not stupid. If there were no capital gains taxes, the CEO's and higher ups would take their pay in all stock, sell the stock, and profit nicely from the capital gains with absolutely no tax. Sounds fair, right?

You work and pay taxes

They work and pay none

:roll:

If they manage to raise the stock price to make a profit by running the business more efficently why isnt that fair?

There's certainly nothing unfair about pegging a manger's salary to stock/business performance. However, that's not the point of Engineer's post. The question he's raising is how is it fair that executives, who use public resources as much as anyone else, would be able to not pay for those public resources as much as everyone else? Executives are just as much cogs in the machine of business as janitors, or machine operators, etc. Why, then, should we single them out for preferential treatment and not require that they pay taxes like anyone else?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: redlotus
Originally posted by: BoberFett
If a poor man can be taxed for investing his time in a company, a rich man can be taxed for investing his money in a company.

The rich don't make their money through salaries. If there were no capital gains tax, the common man would be footing the entire bill.

Are you that stupid? Income is still income, people making money on capital gains would still pay income tax on it...

No, he's not stupid. If there were no capital gains taxes, the CEO's and higher ups would take their pay in all stock, sell the stock, and profit nicely from the capital gains with absolutely no tax. Sounds fair, right?

You work and pay taxes

They work and pay none

:roll:

If they manage to raise the stock price to make a profit by running the business more efficently why isnt that fair?

There's certainly nothing unfair about pegging a manger's salary to stock/business performance. However, that's not the point of Engineer's post. The question he's raising is how is it fair that executives, who use public resources as much as anyone else, would be able to not pay for those public resources as much as everyone else? Executives are just as much cogs in the machine of business as janitors, or machine operators, etc. Why, then, should we single them out for preferential treatment and not require that they pay taxes like anyone else?
Shouldn't they be rewarded in proportion to the size of their egos. I mean, come on. Cogs in the wheel. I thought they invented it. The beautiful thing about ego is that anybody can have one which makes everybody entitled to what ever they feel entitled to. Among egos the argument is always about the big piece of pie going to the best ego. I think, therefore I should have.

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
Perhaps we should get rid of income taxes altogether, or at least reduce them to such a tiny amount that no one really cares (like 2 or 3% of all income)

Then move all taxes to sales (I know, i argued against this in another thread) but to tax different classes of items differently. Food and basic clothing would be tax free, consumer items would have a modest tax, with expensive items and "luxury" items having a higher tax. Items such as booze and tobacco, which have no real benifit to the consumer, can be taxed heavily. Gambling should be taxed heavily, yet made more readily available. Marijuana and some other of the not so dangerous drugs should be legalized (but regulated) and taxed heavily.

With no income tax companies would have lower expenses, thus allowing them to get products to market cheaper, but competing with foreign imports that are subject to the same sales tax, thus leveling the playing field and protecting local jobs. A small tarrif should be paid on all imports, to cover the expense of port security and to offset imports from cheap labor countries.

Just a thought

PELarson

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2001
Capital gains should be taxed at the same rate as other income within a particular bracket. It is flat out unethical to tax earned income at a rate higher than unearned income.

No thanks. I prefer the current rate.

"15 percent rate
This most-widely-paid capital gains tax rate applies to long-term investments by individuals in the 25 percent or higher tax brackets. When you hear "lower capital gains rate," it generally means this level, because there are few investors with incomes low enough to qualify solely for the 5 percent rate.

25 percent rate
This rate applies to part of the gain from selling real estate you depreciated. Basically, this keeps you from getting a double tax break. The Internal Revenue Service first wants to recapture some of the tax breaks you've been getting via depreciation throughout the years. You'll have to complete the worksheet on page 7 of the instructions for Schedule D to figure your gain (and tax rate) for this asset, known as Section 1250 property. More details on this type of holding and its taxation are available in chapter three of IRS Publication 544, Sales and other Dispositions of Assets."

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Capital Gains are just a source of income. If you can tax an unemployment Check, why not a capital gain. I suppose there are people who sit around their entire life and live off of stocks and have no real productive job. There is nothing wrong with that and income is income. Doesnt matter where it comes from.

Capital Gains should just be taxed as regular income as far as I am concerned. Many people get paid partially in stock options. It is just a form of a paycheck that is not cash. You dont really get paid until you sell it, but it is worth something.

If you put money in the bank and make interest, that is a capital gain.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Originally posted by: PELarson
Capital gains should be taxed at the same rate as other income within a particular bracket. It is flat out unethical to tax earned income at a rate higher than unearned income.

No thanks. I prefer the current rate.

"15 percent rate
This most-widely-paid capital gains tax rate applies to long-term investments by individuals in the 25 percent or higher tax brackets. When you hear "lower capital gains rate," it generally means this level, because there are few investors with incomes low enough to qualify solely for the 5 percent rate.

25 percent rate
This rate applies to part of the gain from selling real estate you depreciated. Basically, this keeps you from getting a double tax break. The Internal Revenue Service first wants to recapture some of the tax breaks you've been getting via depreciation throughout the years. You'll have to complete the worksheet on page 7 of the instructions for Schedule D to figure your gain (and tax rate) for this asset, known as Section 1250 property. More details on this type of holding and its taxation are available in chapter three of IRS Publication 544, Sales and other Dispositions of Assets."

As your information shows, the current system is busted. Folks who work for a living pay higher rates then those that don't for the same income. What is the incentive to work? We should all quit our highly taxed jobs and invest in pyramid schemes to get the lower tax rate for unearned income.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
My wife got a capital gain when she sold her stock options at work and we paid a higher tax on the stock options, than on our income.

MonkeyK

Golden Member
May 27, 2001
Every farmer knows that plant seeds are most useful when they are used to create more food. What a capital gains tax does is take the business seeds we need to grow our economy and feeds it to the pigeons.

Business expenses are a tax deduction. Therefore, I would think that a capital gains tax actually creates incentives to invest in new business.