Capital Gains Tax is Garbage

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ntdz

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Originally posted by: tss4
income is income. It should all be taxed the same, whether is be from capitol gains for from a job. Its the only fair way to do it.
Is it fair to be born rich. Is it fair to have a been born with a high IQ and develop no social conscious and devote yourself simply to making money and thereby amass a fortune. We are all part of the matrix. Your wealth is dependent on the society you live in. A wealthy nomad owns only what he can carry, and Trump owns half the world. Think of the accumulation of wealth as a form of cancer with huge tumors all over the place. Taxes are a form of cancer drug that shrinks the tumors and keeps the tumor from self destruction. Or would you prefer to cut the tumor out. A parasite needs to take care of the host and if he is too stupid to see that regulations will ensue. You are a nobody and you would know that if you were completely alone. You live in a world of profound interdependence screaming I me me mine.

Wow, rich people are cancers to society. That is the first time I've ever heard that one. The real cancers are the ones that can't pull their own weight. There is nothing wrong with making money, it's what we as humans are programmed to do. Your mindset is totally ass backwards, instead of bitching about people being "born rich" (when in fact 90% of the millionaires in America are self made), you should thank them for paying your burdon of the taxes because you suck at making money.

ntdz

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Engineer
Originally posted by: Amplifier
Oh, and I don't believe in the trickle down theory either. Greed at the top keeps it at the top.

It's not trickle down theory. It's keeping leeches from slowing down our companies.

So if an exec. get all or most of his salary in stocks and turns and sells them, he shouldn't get taxed on the gains?

Under normal income tax rules, yes.

Amplifier

Banned
Dec 25, 2004
Originally posted by: ntdz
income is income. It should all be taxed the same, whether is be from capitol gains for from a job. Its the only fair way to do it.
Is it fair to be born rich. Is it fair to have a been born with a high IQ and develop no social conscious and devote yourself simply to making money and thereby amass a fortune. We are all part of the matrix. Your wealth is dependent on the society you live in. A wealthy nomad owns only what he can carry, and Trump owns half the world. Think of the accumulation of wealth as a form of cancer with huge tumors all over the place. Taxes are a form of cancer drug that shrinks the tumors and keeps the tumor from self destruction. Or would you prefer to cut the tumor out. A parasite needs to take care of the host and if he is too stupid to see that regulations will ensue. You are a nobody and you would know that if you were completely alone. You live in a world of profound interdependence screaming I me me mine.

Wow, rich people are cancers to society. That is the first time I've ever heard that one. The real cancers are the ones that can't pull their own weight. There is nothing wrong with making money, it's what we as humans are programmed to do. Your mindset is totally ass backwards, instead of bitching about people being "born rich" (when in fact 90% of the millionaires in America are self made), you should thank them for paying your burdon of the taxes because you suck at making money.

You sound like my dad :).

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
Engineer - If he gets paid in stock, then he gets taxed on the value of the stock when it was given to him. The stock is assumed to be cash at that point and is taxed at ordinary income rates. There isn't a gain yet as there's no cost basis.

Amplifier - After the IPO (or secondary offering) the companies being invested in do not get any benefit from the stock purchased. They certainly do not get immediate benefit from any rise in price. If you buy a stock that has been out for years and make a gain on it, you're not helping the base company. You can construct a theory that the gains support the market as a whole, but the market is being supported while being taxed.

I see no good reason why capital gains should not be taxed. Other than my taxes will be lower. But that's not good enough for me.

Michael

ntdz

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004

You sound like my dad :).

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? :p

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Oh, and I don't believe in the trickle down theory either. Greed at the top keeps it at the top.

It's not trickle down theory. It's keeping leeches from slowing down our companies.

So are you just young and ignorant or stupid? You've said quite a few doozies in here that can really only be explained by stupidity.

Amplifier

Banned
Dec 25, 2004
Originally posted by: rahvin

So are you just young and ignorant or stupid? You've said quite a few doozies in here that can really only be explained by stupidity.

You're the one throwing insults out like a litte child.

It's a simple formula, successful businessmen know how to create jobs and help strengthen the economy. Taking money from them to give to the government (and useless poor people) is counterproductive.

Again, for you parrots spitting out anti-rich rhetoric, capital gains taxes are less than a century old.

-Amp

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

You are a self admitted automaton and you have the gall to tell me I've got it backward? Hehe, that's a good one. You are simply programmed to respond within your programming. My mindset is outside your program. That is why I can see what you have been programmed not to. Jeepers, think about what you say.

Is a monopoly a cancer?

ntdz

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004

You are a self admitted automaton and you have the gall to tell me I've got it backward? Hehe, that's a good one. You are simply programmed to respond within your programming. My mindset is outside your program. That is why I can see what you have been programmed not to. Jeepers, think about what you say.

Is a monopoly a cancer?

What in gods name are you talking about? You don't make any sense. Wtf is a "self admitted automation?" There is only one monopoly, Microsoft, and I don't consider them a cancer.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001

Excellent, we are in agreement; capital gains should be taxed as regular income instead of at a lower rate as they are currently.

Amplifier

Banned
Dec 25, 2004
Originally posted by: ironwing

Excellent, we are in agreement; capital gains should be taxed as regular income instead of at a lower rate as they are currently.

Yeah let's suffocate business to pay for social programs. And he wasn't agreeing with any opinion of yours.

nergee

Jan 25, 2000
Sucessful businessmen are not in the business to create jobs. They are in business to create profit. They will
create or eliminate jobs to suit the goal of the company............which is to make money now and in the future....

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Is a monopoly a cancer?

What in gods name are you talking about? You don't make any sense. Wtf is a "self admitted automation?" There is only one monopoly, Microsoft, and I don't consider them a cancer.

Good grief, why do you want me to pay attention to your words when you pay no attention yourself. Did you not just get through saying that people, people like you, obviously, are programmed to make money? What then is the natural state? What are people like who are cancer program free. Who wants to be a trained monkey?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001

Yeah let's suffocate business to pay for social programs. And he wasn't agreeing with any opinion of yours.

Asking folks who make their money off capital gains to pay the same rate as folks who work for their money is "suffocating"? In your world the rich sound pretty weak.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

You know if you want to prove you are not a form of leach you should make your fortune alone on a desert island somewhere. Nobody will tax you a dime for the poor and you won't have your throat slit by a beggar.

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
There is nothing wrong with making money, it's what we as humans are programmed to do.
Actually, as near as I can tell, we as human beings are programmed to eat, sleep, and fsck. Obsession with money and possesions seems to be largely a learned behaviour.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Originally posted by: nergee
What is "rich"?

Good question. In this discussion I view the term as describing folks who make a great deal of their income off capital gains and other monetary rents. I understand that folks across the economic spectrum make money off capital gains but I think the separating factor is the separation of those who earn their income through productivity (salaries, benefits, stock options even) as opposed to those who make their income through "rents" (dividends, interest, capital appreciation) where their own productivity is not a factor in determining their income.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
What is "rich"?

Rich is when you see the universe in a grain of sand. It's when the self dissolves and you become the Alpha and Omega.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
What is "rich"?

Rich is when you see the universe in a grain of sand. It's when the self dissolves and you become the Alpha and Omega.

That too. Alpha and Omega with a big screen TV. ;)

kogase

Diamond Member
Sep 8, 2004
What is "rich"?

Tacky.

Originally posted by: 3chordcharlie
There is nothing wrong with making money, it's what we as humans are programmed to do.
Actually, as near as I can tell, we as human beings are programmed to eat, sleep, and fsck. Obsession with money and possesions seems to be largely a learned behaviour.

Nah. I'd say hording is a perfectly human thing to do. In the natural world we'd just have to work way too hard to horde a ton of food, but it's pretty easy (comparatively) to horde once you have worked yourself into the money-making machine that we have set up and sustained in America.

That's why it sort of cracks me up when hotheaded, sour little men complain about "their money", and the various injust ways in which they are robbed of it by the government and the "welfare queens". They talk about "their money" as though every dime they earn is actually a direct result of the work they put in, when in fact they are members of a machine (this country) that enables them to work relatively menial jobs in exchange for a disproportianately high income. Most of the work is actually out of their hands, and yet they want to lay claim to every dime they "make". Prehehe.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I saw your chart. It is tasteless, sophmoric claptrap. Do you have any valid reason why unearned income should be taxed at a lower rate than income folks work for?

It is to help induce investment instead of people sitting on the cash. What incentive would somebody have to invest the money if they are taxed at a rate as high as income?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: BoberFett
If a poor man can be taxed for investing his time in a company, a rich man can be taxed for investing his money in a company.

The rich don't make their money through salaries. If there were no capital gains tax, the common man would be footing the entire bill.

Are you that stupid? Income is still income, people making money on capital gains would still pay income tax on it...

No, he's not stupid. If there were no capital gains taxes, the CEO's and higher ups would take their pay in all stock, sell the stock, and profit nicely from the capital gains with absolutely no tax. Sounds fair, right?

You work and pay taxes

They work and pay none

:roll:

If they manage to raise the stock price to make a profit by running the business more efficently why isnt that fair?

ntdz

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004

Not really. I dont think there should be ANY tax on capital gains after 1 year. Before that, I think it should be counted as normal income.

Amplifier

Banned
Dec 25, 2004
Originally posted by: kogase

That's why it sort of cracks me up when hotheaded, sour little men complain about "their money", and the various injust ways in which they are robbed of it by the government and the "welfare queens". They talk about "their money" as though every dime they earn is actually a direct result of the work they put in, when in fact they are members of a machine (this country) that enables them to work relatively menial jobs in exchange for a disproportianately high income. Most of the work is actually out of their hands, and yet they want to lay claim to every dime they "make". Prehehe.

Alright let's test this theory! I want all federal aid cut... just about... NOW!

Ok federal aid has officially been cut. No grants going to business owners, no welfare going to poor people, no job protection for the middle class. We'll keep the military though (I'm not that heartless that I'd cut EVERY government job)

Let's see how those poor people are doing!!!

Holy sht, we have to pay for health care?
Omfg I have to pay for my own kids?!?
No section 8??? How do I pay for my house? (get a job asshole)

Ok life isn't that bad for the poor people without the governments support. The ones that stopped doing drugs, having 12 welfare babies, and got insurance did... um... well they are better off than people in the Ukraine.

Oh well, no one here is poor right? So let's check in with the immortal backbone of our society, the middle class!

Maybe you can't tell, but that's a Mexican that stole your job you racist asshole!!!
And now Pablo stole your wife!
Looks like the person who wasn't a whiney little bitch and did a good job didn't get outsourced!

So the middle class didn't disappear, but the ones with POINTLESS protection were fvcking owned. Also people found out that paying farmers not to grow crops was fvcking stupid. Food prices dropped, in-fvcking-credible?

Ok the business owners...

It's nice not being leeched on by the government. Those of us that didn't exist off welfare grants, hi entire airline industry, did better than before. And the lack of inane taxes makes us more efficient.

Ok we are snapping back into our stupid fcking reality in 3,2,1...

Ok what did we learn:
1) There are people who are business owners, middle class, and poor (all of them) who rely on the government to exist. These people are assholes.
2) Well run businesses would just as soon replace you (yes you reading this right now) with Mexicans, BECAUSE MEXICANS ARE JUST AS GOOD AT WORKING AS YOU ELITIST ASSHOLES.
3) Everyone in this thread who disagreed with me is wrong, ignorant, and racist.
4) Capital gains taxes filter money from people doing sht with it, to welfare drug addicts with 15 kids as well as purchasing over a dozen $5000 segways for BWI Rent-a-Cops.
5) Dumbledoor dies in whatever Harry Potter you're reading.
6) Moonwhatever: You have no fvcking clue what you're talking about. "My mindset is outside your program. That is why I can see what you have been programmed not to." Try this message board www.matrixphilosophyrulezthereisnospoonandheitiaisnotforfags.org/board
7) /thread