Can't Use a Second PCI Video Card with a 9700 Pro??

Ziptar

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2001
2,077
0
86
I just got an AIW 9700 Pro and I can't get it to let my Voodoo3 PCI work. As soon as the catalyst Driver loads the Voodoo quits working. In device manager it has a (!) and the error "This device failed to Start."

According to ATI's Website they Do not support the use of PCI video cards with the 9700.... Since the AIW only has one DVI cennection I gotta have a second card to run both monitors....

Anyone using a 9700 with another PCI vid card??? How do i ge this to work?

 

ScrewFace

Banned
Sep 21, 2002
3,812
0
0
You must enter your BIOS and change "Init Display First" to AGP when you wanna use your 9700 PRO and "Init Display First" to PCI when you wanna use your Voodoo3.:)
 

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001
5,773
261
136
Originally posted by: ScrewFace
You must enter your BIOS and change "Init Display First" to AGP when you wanna use your 9700 PRO and "Init Display First" to PCI when you wanna use your Voodoo3.:)
I think he wants to use them at the same time. So you can't use a DVI to Analog converter on one of the outputs to get dual displays? If you can't and also can not use a pci video card in sync, then I won't be getting this card.
 

CurtCold

Golden Member
Aug 15, 2002
1,547
0
0
What's the big deal with dual monitors anyway? I don't understand the need to have 2 running in the first place. Maybe for video editing or something like that, but I really only need one monitor, and suspect that's all that most people use anyway.
 

Ziptar

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2001
2,077
0
86
Originally posted by: ScrewFace
You must enter your BIOS and change "Init Display First" to AGP when you wanna use your 9700 PRO and "Init Display First" to PCI when you wanna use your Voodoo3.:)
That ain't gonna work... but, Thanks..

Originally posted by: GrumpyMan
I think he wants to use them at the same time. So you can't use a DVI to Analog converter on one of the outputs to get dual displays? If you can't and also can not use a pci video card in sync, then I won't be getting this card.
I think on the normal 9700 pro you can do that. I have an AIW 9700 Pro. Due to space constraints there is only one DVI...

Originally posted by: CurtCold
What's the big deal with dual monitors anyway? I don't understand the need to have 2 running in the first place. Maybe for video editing or something like that, but I really only need one monitor, and suspect that's all that most people use anyway.
Once you've tried it you will understand... and Yes, I edit alot of video too...

I got the AIW9700PRO working with a PCI Card. Last night I stopped by CompUSA and picked up an ATI Radeon 7000 32MB PCI ($49 w/ $10 Rebate). I did a fresh install of XP with just the 7000 installed. I downloaded the Catalyst 2.5 drivers, Shut down, installed AIW9700Pro. Restarted, installed ATI Drivers and rebooted. When XP Restarted, the 7000 automatically updated to the Catalyst 2.5 Drivers and I could use my 2nd Monitor. I didn't try the Catalyst 3's as they are not Unified (9700 and 7000 are sepearte downloads.)
Looks like the only way to use an extra PCI video Card is to use an ATI product.


 

XBoxLPU

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2001
4,249
1
0
bump

Looking at a 9700 Pro.... if i can't use a second pci than... i may not upgrade :(

I am using a Geforce 2 MX ....
 

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
12,632
0
0
You should change your title to reflect that its working now. Actually, I used to use my V3 2000 PCI with my original AIW for dual monitors(been a while), but it would disable the video input while enabled. Does video capture work with the secondary card is enabled?
 

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
14,530
1
0
Originally posted by: XBoxLPU
bump

Looking at a 9700 Pro.... if i can't use a second pci than... i may not upgrade :(

I am using a Geforce 2 MX ....
i just upgraded my gf2 mx to a 9500 and have had no regrets :) runs every game i throw at it like a charm.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY