Can't uninstall Steam?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I moved an SSD with a Win7 64-bit install between machines. My Steam directory was installed to a separate HD. Once I moved the SSD, the Steam HD was no longer available. I cannot uninstall Steam from the SSD, it gives an error during installation that "SteamApps" is an invalid short filename.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Steam resides in one folder, it doesn't install pieces all over the place. Just delete the Steam folder and you're done.

reallyscrued

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2004
If you want it to feel 'cleaner', reinstall Steam to some arbitrary directory then uninstall it.

Might feel cleaner to some, dirtier to others. I personally don't like deleting Program Files folders outright.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
While mostly true and probably not real relevant to this case, game saves for some programs and other similar data can be left sitting in other folders.

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
Its because the disk0: (as an example) in the registry is still pointing to a different drive than your SSD. You can either just uninstall by deletion as someone else said, move it manually or just change your registry using 'regedit'

You'll have to google for the specific location in the registry you need to change

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
If you want it to feel 'cleaner', reinstall Steam to some arbitrary directory then uninstall it.

Might feel cleaner to some, dirtier to others. I personally don't like deleting Program Files folders outright.

Yeah this'll work.

Steam is self contained inside the steam directory with a few reg keys as well I believe, if you delete the steam dir that's mostly all that matters, but if you install it again somewhere the reg keys will get overwritten and you can uninstall and steam will remove everything it would normally.