Can't stream netflix without it hesitating and stuttering

Discussion in 'Video Cards and Graphics' started by dalearyous, Dec 14, 2008.

1. dalearyous

dalearyous Senior member

system specs:
    windows vista
    dual core opteron
    4 gigs DDR ram
    raptors on raid
    24" lcd at 1920x1200
    9800gtx

internet:
    20 down / 5 up FIOS

So i signed up for netflix and i went to watch a movie instantly on the internet. The video, no matter what i am watching, is not smooth at all! the audio comes out fine but when i am watching the video its like i am only seeing every other frame. it looks terrible.

any ideas?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - stream netflix hesitating Forum Date
    Nvidia rolls out game streaming on a GTX 1080 cloud for $2.50 an hour Video Cards and Graphics Jan 5, 2017
    Full AMD Polaris 10 GPU has 2304 Stream Processors Video Cards and Graphics Jul 4, 2016
    AMD Computex Live Stream Video Cards and Graphics May 31, 2016
    videocardzAMD’s Greenland/Vega 10 GPU to feature 4096 Stream Processors Video Cards and Graphics Mar 26, 2016
    How much does a Video Card help with Netflix streaming Video Cards and Graphics Jan 10, 2010

3. chizow

chizow Diamond Member

You running any torrents or anything else that's bandwidth intensive? While its less likely to be an issue on a 20mbps FIOS connection, the highest quality settings are extremely bandwidth intensive, enough to choke my 8mbps Comcast connection if I do anything internet related besides watch a movie. The other thing may be CPU speed, I'm pretty sure the Netflix player is very CPU intensive.

4. Tempered81

Tempered81 Diamond Member

limited internet bandwith for streaming, video card stuck in 2d low-power, codec reinstallation needed?

5. dalearyous

dalearyous Senior member

jaredpace can u be more specific?

no torrents running, i dunno i have watched netflix on a lesser machine no problem

its a dual core opteron 175 (2.2ghz)

6. taltamir

taltamir Lifer

start a movie, pause it, wait for the little bar to preload as much as it would (it only preloads 10 minutes past current point i think).
    Then try playing it. if it stutters at that point then its NOT your internet connection. also, open task manager and check CPU usage while doing it, remember that it might not be multi core enabled. so a solid 50% means its 100% utilization of only one core.

7. heyheybooboo

heyheybooboo Diamond Member

Sorry-arse ISP throttling bandwidth and DRM suckage would be my guess - maybe you can adjust the buffer as taltamir suggested.

It's not your hardware ...

It seems some folks are whining at the netflix blog concerning netflix internet streams - and they posted this recent response ...

8. vcarpio2

vcarpio2 Senior member

Are you watching through Silverlight?

I'm having the same problem. I don't think my problem is bandwidth. Netflix streaming video used to play smoothly until I did two things at the same time -- I changed from Media Player to Silverlight and bought an HDTV with the resolution is at least 1376 x 768 (max is 1920 x 1080). So it's hard to tell which one caused the stuttering.

I just now tried a resolution of 800x600 -- the video is stretched wide -- but it still stutters. So I'm beginning to think it's Silverlight.

dalearyous, are you using Silverlight?

9. dalearyous

dalearyous Senior member

yeah i am using silverlight...i think its poor nvidia drivers to be honest. i reinstalled windows back to xp x64 and it seems to work a lot better now.