Can't stop icon auto arrange

Brian Stirling

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
Just built a new PC using Win10 Home and something odd is happening with the desktop icons. I set the system to auto arrange and then move them to where I want them then disable auto arrange so they stay where I put them, but for whatever reason this PC and this Win10 Home install doesn't want to do what I want and seems to want to rearrange the icons in alphabetical order.

I have 4 Adobe programs: Photoshop, Lightroom, Premiere Pro and After Effects, all CC versions, and I want the icons arranged with Lr at the top, then Ps, the Pr than Ae but on a new boot or restart the icons are once again in alphabetical order even though I have turned off auto arrange -- is there something new here I'm missing?

Brian

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Download and install a nifty little utility called Icon Restore. It puts a line in your Computer icon that lets you save your layout. There is another line to restore your layout. Been using it for years - works OK in 10.

Brian Stirling

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
Well it appears it was one of the basic settings things (Align icon to grid) and with that change the icons are staying where I put them -- no additional software needed.

Brian