Can't siphon gas

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I give you a thumbs down for sending a perfectly good vehicle to be junked. It's just as bad as the Cash for Clunkers program. Disgustingly wasteful. Just keep it till you sell it.

The registration and inspection being expired won't really matter for a quick 5-minute test drive, and once they take the car it's their problem. Having the registration and inspection current only adds value, though.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I give you a thumbs down for sending a perfectly good vehicle to be junked. It's just as bad as the Cash for Clunkers program. Disgustingly wasteful. Just keep it till you sell it.

The registration and inspection being expired won't really matter for a quick 5-minute test drive, and once they take the car it's their problem. Having the registration and inspection current only adds value, though.
Well, the car has a few problems (a "perfectly good vehicle" it is not), not fundamental mechanical problems, but problems. Today I took it for a 120 mile drive and realized just what they are:

1. I'd forgotten about the fact that the horn hasn't worked for years.

2. I was adjusting the rear view mirror on the way home and it came off in my hand. This is the 2nd time it's come off the windshield. It was glued with some kind of epoxy. I repaired it first time with a kit made especially to reattach RVM's, but it came off again. This time it took a small chunk of glass with it.

3. The headliner (the felt material on the bottom of the vehicle's roof) had come unglued over most of its area and eventually I remedied that by attacking it with a staple gun. I'd forgotten about that. It's OK, but it's not exactly chic.

4. The doors don't always lock/unlock by activating a switch.

5. The front passenger window isn't operational. It's up, but trying to use it could result in the window not being closed. I have tape over the switch on the driver's side to remind me not to use it.

6. The AC is non-functional.

These things don't interfere with the vehicle's basic operation, but they are not insignificant. Whether or not I turn the car over to be crushed depends on whether I get an offer. Your thumbs up or down is bullshit. If I don't get any interest by Monday (3 days from now), I'm simply going to take my $1000 and not look back. I don't want that thing in my driveway anymore and not being insured or registered will just make it an even greater albatross around my neck. That car has screwed up my driveway in a terrible way from just sitting there. There's no remedy for that other than expensive concrete work, but I don't want it sitting there any more. You're saying that not being registered or insured is not going to prevent a test drive and sale, but that's rolling dice and I'd prefer not to. I don't believe in leaving things that could be catastrophic to chance.

Yes, this car could be useful and worth over $1000 to someone. It might have another 100,000 miles potential usefulness to someone, maybe more. However, that someone would have to either not care about the car's problems or be willing to take care of them. I don't know that this person exists. If I don't get so much as a nibble after 4 days of prominent advertising I have to assume it's a bit of a long shot.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You know that's like $21 worth of gas. Is it really worth the effort?
It's moot now. I had an errand (optional) today that required driving 120 miles. I may not have driven but for the fact that I had all this extra gas in this Chrysler. It's down to maybe 3 gallons now.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
Muse, have you considered calling a few churches to see if they'd take it? Even though you might not be able to get any cash for it, and you may not be able to have enough to claim it as a charitable contribution, you might still get a warm fuzzy feeling by helping someone out that way.

Just depends on whether a WFF is worth $1000 to you, ya know? ;)

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Muse, have you considered calling a few churches to see if they'd take it? Even though you might not be able to get any cash for it, and you may not be able to have enough to claim it as a charitable contribution, you might still get a warm fuzzy feeling by helping someone out that way.

Just depends on whether a WFF is worth $1000 to you, ya know? ;)
Um, it's not that W&F. Actually, I've been sweating my taxes & insurance. That $1000 really counts. I'm on a super tight budget.

DVad3r

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2005
It's not worth it, but you know what is?

Flooring the shit out of that car somewhere before you give it up, I'm talking about MAD revs in L2 and shit.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It's not worth it, but you know what is?

Flooring the shit out of that car somewhere before you give it up, I'm talking about MAD revs in L2 and shit.
Uh, I don't comprehend. L2? What's that, 2nd gear? That car doesn't have a ton of power. It's nothing like my Mom's old Oldsmobile with its V8 and 4 barrel carburetor. That car was exciting. This thing has 4 cylinders, it's a heavy car. Not fun to drive, I have to admit. When I got my Mazda 626LX (also 4 cylinder), I realized what a boat the Chrysler is. If I don't have a nibble within 18 hours or so I'm turning the old girl over to the crushers. Yeah, it probably has 100,000 left in it, but if noone wants to pay me $1000, what can I do?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
People, I've had this car for 17 years and never had to add oil.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It's a K-car people. Think 83 Chrysler LeBaron.
Exactly. When you want parts, they're often listed as LeBaron. Mostly interchangable. It is a K-car.

Nobody has expressed an interest in buying it yet. If I don't get an offer by Wednesday (2 days from right now), I'm driving it to the crusher. The irony is that the cash is offered by or through an agency entrusted to guard the environment from pollution, and this car is far far far from a polluter.

Last edited:

DVad3r

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2005
Can't you like insure/register it in another state and avoid the tax? Come on man, scam a bit ;)

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Can't you like insure/register it in another state and avoid the tax? Come on man, scam a bit ;)

Huh? How would I do this? :confused:

I did just get an email from a guy responding to one of my 3-4 craigslist postings. He wants to come over and check it out. :awe: The registration is due tomorrow. I guess I could work out a deal with him where I register it online and add the $69 fee to the sale. I guess I would take $1000 + $69 for the car.

Uh, how do I negotiate the sale? I haven't bought or sold a used car for a LONG time. Never sold a used car. So, how do I do this? Ask for cash? I sign and hand over the pink slip, right? But what do I want him to give me? Money order? Cashier's check? Cash? How do people do these things?

Last edited: