Cant see my new ATA/100 HD

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
I just put in my new IBM 75GXP HD and I cant see it in windows. The computer boots and the ATA/100 controller says that it's there, but I cant see it in windows. It lists in my hardware settings under the disk drives, but it doesnt show up in "my computer". Any ideas?
thanks,
-doug

ricochet72

Jul 7, 2000
FDISK (from command prompt) >> Changed Fixed Drive (to the one you want) >> Create DOS partition >> Create Logical Drive >> Reboot >> Format >> Enjoy!

Do this wrong and your data can be toast!

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
I cant even see the drive from DOS. So there is no fdisk option. It isnt my boot drive, it is the master drive on my primary ata/100 contoller. Im not sure what the problem with it is. Any ideas?
thanks,
-doug

goldboyd

Golden Member
Oct 12, 1999
you need to create a partition before you can see it. to do that you need to run fdisk from a dos prompt. you type fdisk, then from the menu choose switch fixed disk or something like, choose the new drive, and create a partition on it

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
Ok, thanks for the responses. I forgot that you can still run fdisk even if the drive doesnt show up when you look for it from the Dos prompt. I appreciate everyone who has helped me through all of the problems Ive been having with all of this stuff.
thanks,
-doug