Can't search for emails in Outlook 2007 after uninstalling Windows Live Mail

malG

Jun 2, 2005
I'm using Vista SP1. Initially I was using Windows Live Mail to check my Hotmail. Outlook 2007 and Outlook Connector was also installed but never used. Last week I started using Outlook 2007, then I uninstalled Windows Live Mail via the CP.

Now I realize that Outlook 2007 can't find emails when using the inbuilt search tool. Although I can find the email when using Vista's start menu search tool. ALL my emails appear in Outlook 2007 and on Hotmail website, none is missing.

When the email was found the folder path is: C:\Users\MyNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\Hotmail (to 6e9\Inbox

Obviously it's not where it's supposed to be i.e.: C:\Users\MyNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst

So how do I point Outlook 2007 to search for my emails in the right place?

Thank you.

jasonbrighton

Mar 4, 2009
hey,
i don´t know how to fix that but i´ve another idea...
why don´t you use a search tool for outlook? i know there are severall programs.
in my opinion the outlook search is not really good..

-jason-

malG

Jun 2, 2005
Originally posted by: jasonbrighton
hey,
why don´t you use a search tool for outlook? i know there are severall programs.

-jason-

I need a 3rd party software just to search my emails in Outlook? What a dumb idea.

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
Originally posted by: malG
Originally posted by: jasonbrighton
hey,

-jason-

I need a 3rd party software just to search my emails in Outlook? What a dumb idea.

doesn't have to necessarily be 3rd party, but I know advanced searching in Outlook 2007 does not work unless you have windows desktop search installed, which should come default with Vista. May want to make sure the settings didn't get tweaked to NOT include Outlook in indexing

jasonbrighton

Mar 4, 2009
yeah, of course you also can take windows desktop search, will be a great solution...

this idea is not as dumb as you´re thinking...
if you have lots of mail every day, you´re forced to get a good search tool for outlook (for example i have about 15000 mails in my outlook!!)
it makes sense!

J.

JonathanR

Mar 6, 2009
hey malG

that idea with the search tool is really not dumb...
i had the similar problem, because of my job i get a lot of email everyday and needed a search tool that i got an overview over that email-chaos...
i first tried the outlook search too, but i didnt like it, because the search results werent very excact, it always brought me results which i wasnt searching for and another negativ point was that it was very slow!
there are a lot of search tool which are much more better and faster and easy to work with...some of them: windows desktop search (as already mentioned here), then xnobi (but this slow your computer down), Lookout (doesnt run on vista and outlook 07, but beside this very good) and lookeen ( its a follower of lookout and i and really fast and reliable)

Maybe somebody else could mention here, which tool they prefer...my favourite is lookeen!

Jonathan