Can't Read or Boot Samsung 850 EVO SSD, Dead or Not Initialized?

max105

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2000
I've got a Samsung 850 EVO that I had running in my NUC up until Dec 2016. I swapped it out for a Crucial SSD, but I left everything intact on the 850 before storing it away.

I tried using the Samsung 850 again on the same NUC:
1) via external enclosure - doesn't mount and don't see drive in Windows Explorer
2) via internal SATA port - detected/recognized by BIOS, but not bootable

I've already tested other drives in the same enclosure/SATA port so those aren't the issue.

I opened Disk Management and got the message saying the disk isn't initialized. It detects the drive make/model and size correctly, but I don't recall ever wiping this drive (though I could be wrong).

I've been out of PC building the last couple years and not that experienced with SSDs or encrypted drives. It sounds like it's just a myth that SSDs can't be left unplugged for long periods of time? And for encrypted drives, would subsequent firmware updates to my NUC possibly compromise its ability to decrypt/read from this drive?

At this point, I just want to make sure I've done due diligence to make sure I'm not losing any important data on this drive before re-initializing it. Any tips/suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

Last edited:

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
Believe I had a similar problem, but not recently.
Probably just need to repair/rebuild the Master File Table.
(I ended up successfully using TestDisk.)

Take a look at "TestDisk" or "EaseUS" both of which should be available as freeware.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I would try free data recovery software, likely an issue such as mentioned above by C1.

max105

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2000
Believe I had a similar problem, but not recently.
Probably just need to repair/rebuild the Master File Table.
(I ended up successfully using TestDisk.)

Take a look at "TestDisk" or "EaseUS" both of which should be available as freeware.
I would try free data recovery software, likely an issue such as mentioned above by C1.

I'm trying out TestDisk as I type, but before I start the "Analyse/QuickSearch/DeeperSearch" steps, these will not make any modifications to the drive yet, right?

Last edited:

max105

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2000
I ran the Analyse and QuickSearch steps but TestDisk didn't find any partitions. I've attached screenshots of the output. I'm not sure if it's worth continuing at this point or trying to run DeeperSearch as it sounds like the next step might try to write changes to the drive.

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
Run the deep scan. Nothing will be written to the SSD as a result.

TestDisk is not the easiest to use, just go slowly with it. If nothing is found after the deep scan then then you probably have for all practical purposed lost your SSD's data. As a fallback, try EaseUS too. If this should be (ie, your data cannot be found), then there is a real question about using this SSD again as it may be defective in a critical way and cannot be trusted.

Once the deep scan is complete, files found written on the SSD will be presented/listed. As I recall, options will be made available to either recover selected files or create a Master File Table (MFT) based on what has been found OR replace the MFT with the backup MFT if one is found.

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Advanced_NTFS_Boot_and_MFT_Repair