can't open or save attachments in Verizon webmail

wpshooter

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2004
I have a friend who is unfortunately still using MS OS and is using Verizon webmail and also unfortunately is using IE8 and has Norton security suite installed on his desktop computer, thus he is having the problem that he can not open nor save attachments to emails that he is receiving on his Verizon webmail account. This does not seem to be related to the file type of the attachments. Am trying to bring him over to the Linux world so he does not have these problems but have not gotten him there yet.

So, in the mean time, can anyone give me a short/brief fix so that he can open and save the email attachment in his Verizon webmail account.

I am thinking that this is probably being caused by the Norton suite and that there is probably a simple configuration change that he can make to cure this problem, however, I have not used MS OS computer for about 10 years now (and I assure you that you could not pay me good money to use it) and I have no idea as to where/what the fix might be without spend an inordinate amount of time searching his computer to see what the fix might be.

I have googled for an answer but have yet to come up with anything that appears to be a "good" answer. That research reveals that he is definitely not the only MS user with this problem.

Does anyone know the direct cause and solution to this problem ?

Also, I do notice that he has Google Chrome installed and am wondering if that also might be part of the problem.

Thanks.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
There are many websites and services no longer supporting IE8. Suggest your friend switch to Firefox or Chrome. Ergo, the problem is not Chrome, but IE8. This is particularly true when video is involved. Example:

IE8_Limit.jpg

Last edited:

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
I can assure you that "MS OS" is not the problem here. Nor is Linux the solution.

Could be Norton is on some sort of full lockdown mode, but the settings should be easy enough to navigate without asking for help. It would be better to completely remove it and use a less intrusive free tool.

It could be the fact that they're using an out of date version of IE. Windows update should have got new versions for the user, which makes me think this is either a corporate computer or a very vulnerable one.

It could also be that Verizon webmail is garbage or the attachment is too large for that particular email service.

It could also be that this post is a weird troll. How would Google Chrome be a problem if they're using IE8?

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
It could also be that Verizon webmail is garbage or the attachment is too large for that particular email service.

Most likely this.

And also in concurrence that this isn't an OS issue, switching to Linux for such a sideways turnaround, while potentially adding a new slur of problems - isn't worth it for the amount of migration done.

What other email clients does he have access to and can open and run? Is there a way to gather the Verizon mail settings and use that instead?

wpshooter

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2004
I can assure you that "MS OS" is not the problem here. Nor is Linux the solution.

Could be Norton is on some sort of full lockdown mode, but the settings should be easy enough to navigate without asking for help. It would be better to completely remove it and use a less intrusive free tool.

It could be the fact that they're using an out of date version of IE. Windows update should have got new versions for the user, which makes me think this is either a corporate computer or a very vulnerable one.

It could also be that this post is a weird troll. How would Google Chrome be a problem if they're using IE8?

I agreed that MS is probably not the problem but I can assure you that switching to Linux would cure this problem. I know because I am using it and have no such problems with attachments to my Verizon webmail.

As for Chrome, it is my understanding that it's installation can cause all types of problems including interferences with IE.

Thanks.

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
I agreed that MS is probably not the problem but I can assure you that switching to Linux would cure this problem. I know because I am using it and have no such problems with attachments to my Verizon webmail.

As for Chrome, it is my understanding that it's installation can cause all types of problems including interferences with IE.

Thanks.

See, the thing is, you are also exchanging MANY variables as well with a change in the OS, when it comes down to web mail standards and protocol - agnostic of the OS to begin with.

If it pertains to downloading and saving, if this isn't a personal machine, there is a protection software blocking saving of the attachment, which is why going to Norton should be your first bet. Upon initial install of Notron or configuration, it wasn't accounted for future browsing habits or downloads - THAT is where you need to first look. You may need to add an exception to the browser in use or update the browser for Norton to recognize as safe. You may need to use an updated IE/Chrome/Firefox/Opera/etc.

Also, many many email services have a limit on file sizes and downloading to begin with - even their web interfaces too. Which is why I suggested a different mail program and using the IMAP or POP settings that Verizon's email system uses (and should support).

It is foolish to think that a complete change for yet ANOTHER possible hiccup later on is worthy. It is like taking the effort to move to a completely different house if the X appliance does not work.

wpshooter

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2004
See, the thing is, you are also exchanging MANY variables as well with a change in the OS, when it comes down to web mail standards and protocol - agnostic of the OS to begin with.

If it pertains to downloading and saving, if this isn't a personal machine, there is a protection software blocking saving of the attachment, which is why going to Norton should be your first bet. Upon initial install of Notron or configuration, it wasn't accounted for future browsing habits or downloads - THAT is where you need to first look. You may need to add an exception to the browser in use or update the browser for Norton to recognize as safe. You may need to use an updated IE/Chrome/Firefox/Opera/etc.

Also, many many email services have a limit on file sizes and downloading to begin with - even their web interfaces too. Which is why I suggested a different mail program and using the IMAP or POP settings that Verizon's email system uses (and should support).

It is foolish to think that a complete change for yet ANOTHER possible hiccup later on is worthy. It is like taking the effort to move to a completely different house if the X appliance does not work.

This little hiccup would not be the reason from switching to Linux. There are many many very good reasons for switching from MS to Linux. Yes, I agreed that the problem probably lays in Norton. Just thought someone might know exactly what parameter / setting was the offender.

Thanks.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000

Thanks.

If you switched him to Linux but still had him using IE8, then he would still have exactly the same problem, because the problem is with IE8, not with the operating system.

Have him use Chrome (since it is already installed) or Firefox and the problem will disappear. Upgrading to IE10 or IE11 would also fix the problem, but the fact that he actually has IE8 makes me suspect he's still running Windows XP and IE8 is the newest version that can be used in XP.

wpshooter

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2004
If you switched him to Linux but still had him using IE8, then he would still have exactly the same problem, because the problem is with IE8, not with the operating system.

Have him use Chrome (since it is already installed) or Firefox and the problem will disappear. Upgrading to IE10 or IE11 would also fix the problem, but the fact that he actually has IE8 makes me suspect he's still running Windows XP and IE8 is the newest version that can be used in XP.

I can assure you if I switch him to Linux, he will NOT be using IE.

Thanks.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
I can assure you if I switch him to Linux, he will NOT be using IE.

Thanks.

Of course not, but in this case it would be like buying a new car to fix a flat tire. The problem isn't the car (operating system), it's the old, worn out tire (Internet Explorer 8).