Can't OC Acer comp as theres no options.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
The model is

Acer EG43M

which is made by gigabyte actually, Cuz I seen Gigabyte EG43M.

The BIOS has literally like 1 option.

Is there any way to flash the BIOS and get all options like OCing options ?
:awe:

Lord XenoTeK

Jan 26, 2011
Most pre-built OEM systems ship with locked BIOS to cover their own arses when it comes to warranty service, etc.

It's a fail-safe to prevent the end-user from frying the system. Chances are, you will not find a BIOS to flash.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
Most pre-built OEM systems ship with locked BIOS to cover their own arses when it comes to warranty service, etc.

It's a fail-safe to prevent the end-user from frying the system. Chances are, you will not find a BIOS to flash.

I see thanks Lord Xeno thanks for that your right.

Im wondering if you flash it with a gigabyte if it will work and if it will open up options.

I told him we should build you a system. thats what you get for buying a Acer ... sighs,

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002

Hmm, I doubt that is the case, most all OEMs have a way to flash the BIOS, since that is one way they can update the system without people sending the whole machine back. While it may be "locked" they don't perma-lock it.
In fact, I flashed a friend of a friend's acer computer with a new BIOS and it worked just fine. YMMV. This acer was a socket 754 board.
Come to think of it, I do recall a jumper on the motherboard that you have to move so you can write to the BIOS.

Yeah, you can also brick the system, so make sure you have a extra EERPOM or a way to flash the chip again.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'm sure that you could flash a newer Acer BIOS if one exists, but what TB is asking is if you can cross-flash from Acer to a native Gigabyte BIOS. Probably possible.